Author Topic: AH FM DOA  (Read 512 times)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
AH FM DOA
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2000, 08:37:00 AM »
Bah, the Jug is king of low-level attack damage.  

In Robert S. Johnson's "Thunderbolt", he tells of a a Jug pilot clipping a telephone pole with his wing.  There is a picture of a P47 landed back at it's base with about 4 feet of telephone pole stuffed in the starboard wing.  Ouch.  Musta been fun to fly that beast home.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"My P-47 is a pretty good ship, she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip.
Just thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip, always got me through so far."
 - Steve Earl

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2000, 09:15:00 AM »
 Can't find it now but I had a picture of a P-47 that hit it's prop on the ground, bent back the first foot of each blade and STILL made it home to base.

-Westy

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2000, 10:11:00 AM »
I have two seperate pictures of P-38s with similar damage and both made it home.

The first literally chopped off a telephone pole in North Africa to the point that one wing is bent back at a 45 degree angle and then engine almost ripped off its mounting.

The Second is a P38 that collided with a British bomber. Its entire front edged is heavily damaged.

Its amazing some of the damage that aircraft could take and still make it home.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
AH FM DOA
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2000, 03:10:00 PM »
Hi easymo,

Originally posted by easymo:
So after I killed them, I checked my damage list to see if anything was wrong. I was very supprised to see I had no rudder.  I started yanking it around to see if it felt any different. It didnt.

I think the key to this is you killed him, I posted a similar point in the Bugs forum ages ago. but assumed it had been fixed. It would appear that if you get damaged in a fight but kill the person responsible the damage still shows in external views and damage list, but the lost control is regained. Perhaps this needs a punt in the bugs section.

TTFN
snafu

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2000, 03:16:00 PM »
Just one problem with F4u flying without wingtip compared to others;
F4u *should* have big torque that would make change of air flow lethal with high throttle.. (though, you can fly almost at any speed safely in F4u with cut wingtip and even fight! seen it, done it)

Me109 has worst torque of planes in AH (surprises me, because I thought F4u was the ensign eliminator) and it can't keep well up with wingtip cut off.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2000, 04:57:00 PM »
Fishu, check the horsepower of the F4U and the Me109G10.

Both are around 2,000hp depending on WEP/non-WEP, and should therefore produce something in the same range of torque. (Yes I know there are alot of other factors involved, but it works for a rough demonstration)

Now look up the wingspan of each, plus the normal loaded weight.

Now lets talk physics. So if you think of the wing of the plane as a lever and the rest of the plane as a rock that has to be moved (or held steady in this case).

A long lever produces more force to move the rock(or hold the rock from  moving) and a heavier rock takes more force to start moving (force from the engine torque).

So the 109G10 has a shorter wing in relation to the F4U in the first place, so when you remove half of it, in comparison produces less force to keep it steady. Also the G10 weighs less, so it takes less torque force from the engine to make it begin to move (and the G10 to F4U torque relationship is about equal).

In other words, its working exactly the way its suppose to be.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2000, 06:21:00 PM »
I got to find squelch vermillion from this UBB, because hes getting boring without 'input' plug, but his 'output' is really active though.

Vermillion,

I am not going to try arque with you anymore because you don't even want to listen.
(and therefore it isn't even arquing anymore..)

So have fun with that BS of yours till you learn to listen.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
AH FM DOA
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2000, 06:53:00 PM »

Fishu, don't take the name "ensign eliminator" out of context.  

The US had a hate song and derogatory name for every plane they flew.

- Jig