Author Topic: AH FM DOA  (Read 513 times)

Brumm

AH FM DOA
« on: September 24, 2000, 08:57:00 PM »
Bear with me.
Flew a chog (ya ya, so sorry) and collided with other chog, whereupon my left wing cut loose. Now, looking left, all I see is the stump, ctrl-D tells me I have no left wing, no left aileron. Yet the chog can be kept in coordinated flight with liberal use of opposite rudder. It could even climb. Through a whole sector. If I hadn't groundlooped back home, I'd have walked away from the wreck too. I was too lame to try a looping, but feel pretty sure that it's entirely possible.

That ain't right. In fact, it sucks. I await an explanation why HTC and you gentlemen on this board think the FM is soooooo wonderful.
I declare it dead on arrival.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2000, 09:33:00 PM »
you lost a wingtip not the wing
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2000, 09:59:00 PM »
Brumm,

Suggest you do a little bit more research before coming to this board and making rash accusations and ignorant demands.

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2000, 12:49:00 AM »
LOL

Packin a lunch was the high spot of his day.

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Igloo

AH FM DOA
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2000, 01:09:00 AM »
Right, if you saw a "stump" you only lost your wing tip.  You would still have enough lift on the left side of your plane with half a wing to stay airborne, although it would dip to the left because the right wing is providing more lift.  The rudder will keep you horizontal, but it will also bleed your speed, which is, I assume, what happened.

------------------
Squadron Leader, Igloo.
C/O RCAF 411 Squadron - County of York

"Problems cannot be solved with the same awareness that created them" - Albert Einstein[/i]

Offline Chango

• Zinc Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2000, 01:22:00 AM »
Granted that he hurt your feelings by saying that this Flight Model is not correct.  Which guys it probabaly isnt!  Was 1.1 - 1.4.1 or 1.5 and on.  If someone asks a question answer it if you dont know the answer shut-up!!  

If you had lost an entire wing at the root you would not see the stub.  You lost a partial section of your wing, example (a wingtip)  The percentage lost is probably a fixed value in this version thus you see only a graphic representation of losing a piece of your wing.

Im sure as peoples connex speeds and processor speeds increase it will become more and more exact.

Brumm

AH FM DOA
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2000, 01:52:00 AM »
OK, humbled  
I can accept flight with part of the wing being lost.
It IS hard to believe with the lack of granularity in damage report and visual feedback though, you have to grant me that .
Sorry for the huffhuff. BTW, Yeager, could you point me to the place where this has been covered before?

Brum
m

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2000, 03:11:00 AM »
Lost a flap in a pony yesterday - since it's a part of the wing that is generating lift (on a pony!) I expected the plane "leaning" to the port and surely enough it did!

I wonder if there's any effect when losing the same (one side flap) on, say, a Spitfire (split flaps) - there shouldn't be - but in my case it looked right and felt right (or left as it happened ). I dare say that's pretty accurate damage (and it's effects) modelling.

------------------
lynx
13 Sqn RAF

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2000, 04:39:00 AM »
I lost both wing tips on a C-Hog the first week I played...was a squeak to get it back to base and I lost it when I powered down to land. I replayed the film and had a good laugh at the sight of the snub winged hog, but I had heard that the graphics worked like that and thought the FM did a good job making my job tough and enjoyable.

Lars

Offline jedi

• Zinc Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2000, 01:16:00 PM »
Well, it IS a good point that the visual depiction needs to match what the FM is doing I'd say.

Being able to fly with a missing wingtip seems at least plausible.  Being able to fly with the whole wing gone is highly suspect (not just because of the aerodynamics, but the associated other damage etc).

The only problem is when the visual model doesn't match the damage model.  If it says "wing damaged" and you look out there and see some wing gone, great.  If it says, "wing shot off," you look out and see just a foot or two of "stub" left, and you're still flying along, not good.  If you shoot some guy, see his WHOLE wing come off, and he flies around, REALLY not good  

A problem in need of a fix, but maybe not one to get too riled up about...

------------------

Rojo

AH FM DOA
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2000, 04:34:00 PM »
To elaborate some more on what's been said here, the visual representation showing the wing tip gone doesn't necessarily represents the whole wing tip parting company with your aircraft.  It's meant to simulate a certain amount of damage being done to that wing.  A better way to have visually represented this would have been to show the wing tip as shredded, with big gaping holes in it.  I can only surmise that the 3D modelling engine can only handle drawing the loss of an entire and descrete component.  It may also be a question of frame rates.  Being able to see through the holes in the wings would mean that a "shredded" wing would have to be drawn using many more polygons than a pristine wing (or a half of a wing).  I have some practical experience with 3D modelling of complex objects (aerospace vehicles, to be specific).  Its a time consuming practice that is as much art as science.

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)

[This message has been edited by Rojo (edited 09-25-2000).]

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2000, 04:38:00 PM »
Sabre's answer is the correct one.

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Tailslide

AH FM DOA
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2000, 07:55:00 PM »

I remember in "Baa Baa Black Sheep" theres a story about a guy flying between two coconut trees on a strafing pass and shearing off 3-4 feet from each wingtip, and still making it back. Anyone happen to know if this is a true story or something pappy dreamed up after a few scotches too many?

TS

------------------
www.airsims.com

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2000, 08:30:00 PM »
 I hate to snitch off my fav ride (nik). But I was in a turn fight with a couple spits. seconed one sprayed me good on the merge. So after I killed them, I checked my damage list to see if anything was wrong. I was very supprised to see I had no rudder.  I started yanking it around to see if it felt any different. It didnt.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
AH FM DOA
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2000, 08:18:00 AM »

Originally posted by Tailslide:

I remember in "Baa Baa Black Sheep" theres a story about a guy flying between two coconut trees on a strafing pass and shearing off 3-4 feet from each wingtip, and still making it back. Anyone happen to know if this is a true story or something pappy dreamed up after a few scotches too many?

TS

In "The Death Rattlers", it makes mention of one strafing run so low that when the pilot landed, there were pieces of skull lodged in the air intake on the wing root....I would say thats get low.