Author Topic: Apparently having my bike stolen is MY fault  (Read 3720 times)

Offline mrblack

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Apparently having my bike stolen is MY fault
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2003, 04:27:51 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
No doubt lazs...but my plan is to get a lab.  Just as your hundreds of thousands "without a shot" the biggest deterant here...without guns...is owning a dog.  Doesn't have to be vicious or even big...just there.  Theives stay away from houses with dogs.

I just saw the Bermuda stats on this...98.6% of houses broken into were dogless.

If you can find one a french mastiff would do well.
Tuner and Hooch dog

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2003, 04:52:45 PM »
"I guess this little island is becoming more and more like the US/Canada/UK "

Nobody ever stole my motorcycle.  But....., I'm sorry they got yours.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2003, 05:08:51 PM »
Curval ... we have 4 dogs on patrol at our Jamaican house. We don't need 4, my parents just like dogs. 2 small dogs, 1 medium size, and 1 big dog. All are mutts, and the best at sounding the alarm are the small dogs. There isn't a local that would ever attempt to open the gates to our yard without one of the staff first putting the dogs inside their porch area. The dogs are also forbidden to come inside the house ... the property is their domain, not the house, so they protect it with more vigor.

Lazs has the right idea ... no need for a big slobbering pedigree hound trouncing/pooping around the property and if it does get loose, bigger dogs appear to be more threatening than the smaller ones and cause more alarm from the neighbors and cops.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2003, 07:15:01 PM »
One that I need a large dog in apparently.  :)

I would hate to live in a place were I felt I needed a large dog to protect me or my property :)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2003, 07:22:26 PM »
Touche Nuke.  ;)

Actually the plot thickins on this one.

I am now pretty sure the thei got my bike by simply unlocking it...with my keys.  They are missing along wth my cell phone.

My wife remembers seeing both items in the car driving home Friday night...I was using her keys to drive the car, mine were jabbing me so I took them out of my pocket and put them in the storage compartment between my front seats.  The cell phone was also placed there as it slid out of my pocket when retrieving my keys.

So...the thief broke into my car (which was locked)...got my keys and simply unlocked the bike, started it and drove off.

Fortunately my house keys were on a different ring.

So...Ulocking the bike would have caused him about a one minute delay in stealing my bike.:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 07:25:04 PM by Curval »
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2003, 07:32:51 PM »
That sucks Curval :(

I hope they catch the filthy peice of garbage.

Offline Jack55

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2003, 07:34:50 PM »
They need your money more than you.  Leave cash outside as a peace offering.  You can afford it.

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2003, 08:48:51 PM »
Police almost only deal with crime after the fact.  Prudence will lead you to take precautionary steps: alarms, dogs, U-locks etc...  But in the end, a determined criminal will probably do what he wants... all you can hope to do is discourage the less-serious ones.  This makes interesting food for thought concerning gun-ownership and self-defense.

Hooligan

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2003, 09:04:40 PM »
Arrrrgghhh!

Stop whining and go steal yourself a new bike!!!

Arrrghhhh!

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2003, 09:10:12 PM »
Heh, when I was stationed in Germany, I left my bike unlocked one night after weaving my way home from the club.  Thought it would be safe for a few hours on a military post. Next morning it's vanished into thin air. Few weeks later I spot a familiar looking bike parked at the gym on post. I haul bellybutton back to our hangar, grab some heavy duty bolt cutters, and 10 minutes later I'm riding home on my recovered bike. Pretty sad that I felt like a criminal recovering my own bike. Obviously the POS that took it didn't have any such hang-ups.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2003, 10:50:40 PM »
No doubt lazs...but my plan is to get a lab.  Just as your hundreds of thousands "without a shot" the biggest deterant here...without guns...is owning a dog.  Doesn't have to be vicious or even big...just there.  Theives stay away from houses with dogs.

I just saw the Bermuda stats on this...98.6% of houses broken into were dogless.

I guess 95% of the houses in Bermuda are dogless, which would go well with the ratio and wouldn't prove a thing.

There is 100 houses, then lets say 10 has a dog and thieves visits at 10 - that would make it 1 dog owner house and 9 dogless houses.
So indeed there is less burglary occuring on houses with dogs, but theres also less houses with dogs to break into.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 10:53:10 PM by Fishu »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2003, 09:17:23 AM »
I am now pretty sure the thei got my bike by simply unlocking it...with my keys.  They are missing along wth my cell phone.

That's actually more common than you might think. ;)

My brother had two vehicles: a Ford F150 crewcab and a Toyota 4runner (he liked mine so much he decided to get his own).  The previous owners of his house had converted the garage into a spare room, so both of his vehicles were parked one behind the other in the driveway, the 4runner against the house with the F150 behind it.

My brother also has 2 small children who ride in carseats, and he only has 2 carseats (1 per child).  Often, he finds himself having to take the seats out of one vehicle and installing in the 2nd vehicle so the kids can be carted around.  To make the transition easier, he kept a key to each vehicle in the other vehicle.

One night he's lying in bed and he hears the "blump blump blump" of a slowly-cruising street rod.  He's thinking "hey, that's a pretty cool sounding car."  Then the motion-sensitive light goes on in his side yard but he doesn't think anything about it because his dogs will sometimes trigger the light when they go out the doggy door to relieve themselves.  Then he hears the sound of his 4runner being started.

Just about the time he gets out of bed and to his front door, he sees his 4runner being backed across his lawn.  He goes charging out, cell phone in hand with the police, yelling at the perps but they drive off.

Apparently, what had happened was that the thieves had broken into his unlocked F150 (his son likes to push the buttons on the remote control key fob to watch the truck blink and honk its horn, and the son probably turned the alarm off without my brother knowing it) and had found the key to the 4runner in the glove box.  The thief then opened up the 4runner and decided to steal it for a joyride since he didn't have a way to start the F150 that was more conveniently parked by the road (by a stroke of luck, the key to the F150 had been removed from the 4runner's glove box earlier that day).

So the cops show up and take his information and tell him they'll get back to him.  He's thinking the thieves probably didn't get very far and the 4runner should be found fairly easily.  He thinks they'll have it back later that night.

Wrong.

By morning, he hasn't heard from the cops, so he decides to turn vigilante and solve the crime himself.  He drives the F150 around and finds the 4runner parked, undamaged, all 4 doors open, a couple of blocks away at a house under construction, key still in the ignition.  He drives home, parks the F150, walks the couple of blocks to the 4runner, drives it home, tells the police he's recovered the vehicle (and tells them a few more things about their effectiveness in the area of law enforcement), and tells the wife that she'll have to pick one vehicle or the other as "her" truck because they won't be leaving keys in vehicles any more.  

Now he drives an 1988 300ZX that he's restoring.  It doesn't have remote keyless entry.

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2003, 09:39:57 AM »
I've always wondered if someone steals your car, and then you steal it back, if the perp can sue you for it. :)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2003, 09:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by texace
I've always wondered if someone steals your car, and then you steal it back, if the perp can sue you for it. :)

I remember some finnish guy spotting his sometime ago stolen car in estonia, while he was visiting there and soon he arranged it to be stolen back.
I don't remember exactly what was the aftermath... IIRC at least insurance company didn't like that.

Offline GrimCO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.GrimsReapers.com
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2003, 10:00:17 AM »
I used to have to park my bike in the living room of my townhouse because it didn't have a garage. My wife knows how I feel about my motorcycle and amazingly never gave me an ounce of crap about parking it there.

As far as the police go, their mentality is different. I know because I used to be one. When a person doesn't take precautions to prevent their property from being stolen, there's kind of a "well, what did that numbnuts expect was going to happen" attitude. I doubt the police officer was blaming you for your bike being stolen. He was probably just pissed off that you didn't take precautions to prevent it, and you made him do paperwork.  Cops HATE paperwork...