Author Topic: Partial-Birth abortion, a civil discussion  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
Partial-Birth abortion, a civil discussion
« on: November 06, 2003, 12:14:01 PM »
Ok, without Eagler and his animated gif, I'd like to open the floor for discussion about this issue.

Could one of you pro-choice folks please explain to me why the new partial birth abortion ban bill is bad?

If it contains provisions to allow this procedure to be performed to save the life of the mother, then why can't it be banned for all other situations?

Since I usually find myself on the left side of the fence, I feel awkward agreeing with well-known conservatives like Eagler and Ripsnort, but on this particular issue, I agree completely with them.

I can't think of any other reasonable use for this type of abortion, except to save the mother's life, at the expense of the baby.

I am not religious, so I have no religious reason to oppose abortion. Morally, however, I think abortion used as a method of birth control is an appalling abomination.

Please explain to me why I should support the killing of unborn children?

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 12:18:36 PM »
That Packer win hit harder than I thought.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 12:22:17 PM »
Creamo, thank you for yet another enlightning comment from your vast reserves of pithy one liners.

:rolleyes:

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 12:24:28 PM »
Why bother posting when banana said what I was thinking...

"I am not religious, so I have no religious reason to oppose abortion. Morally, however, I think abortion used as a method of birth control is an appalling abomination.

Please explain to me why I should support the killing of unborn children?"

Don't the  words "Birth" and "Abortion: in the same phrase bother you?

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 12:29:28 PM »
There will always be legitimate uses for lethal force.

Abortion, when used as a tool to protect endangered life, is justified.  When used as a form of ending "unwanted" pregnancies, abortion just doesnt seem justifiable to me.

As far as Im concerned, as long as abortion is viewed honestly for what it is, lawful homicide, then Im just fine with it.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 12:30:41 PM »
Well, we could have a vast intriguing argument pitting intelligence and the obvious, banana, against your inferring my one liner served any less purpose than you spamming up the O'Club with this topic that was banned for a reason.

I'm up all day, but loosing interest.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 12:33:48 PM »
What's your question, banana?  "Is the bill and D&X bad?" or "is all abortion bad?"  As I read it, you kind of had both of those mixed up in there.  I might have read it wrong.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 12:35:40 PM »
This is disgusting.

I am F******* nauseous..

Look guys, I'm not a religious freak. I even paid for someone to have an abortion when I was younger. After my daughter was born, my position on the matter has changed. I dont' condone any abortion, but I'm not out bombing clinics either.

Read this opinion by JUSTICE THOMAS:

"After dilating the cervix, the physician will grab the fetus by its feet and pull the fetal body out of the uterus into the vaginal cavity. At this stage of development, the head is the largest part of the body. Assuming the physician has performed the dilation procedure correctly, the head will be held inside the uterus by the woman's cervix. While the fetus is stuck in this position, dangling partly out of the woman's body, and just a few inches from a completed birth, the physician uses an instrument such as a pair of scissors to tear or perforate the skull. The physician will then either crush the skull or will use a vacuum to remove the brain and other intracranial contents from the fetal skull, collapse the fetus' head, and pull the fetus from the uterus."

Guys....this IS murder. There is NO way to sanitize it.

Disgusting.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 12:37:02 PM »
^What he said.  I don't see any gray areas here, its plain for all to see.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 12:37:23 PM »
SOB, sorry if I was unclear. Let me try again.

Why is the banning of Partial birth abortions a bad idea, considering that there is a provision to allow for said procedures in the case of the mother's life being in jeopardy?

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 12:41:53 PM »
Partial birth murder is disgusting and should never be used to end unwanted pregnency.  It should only be used to protect the life of the mother.  Why lose both?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 12:45:49 PM »
Thanks, that's clearer... There's nothing wrong with it.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 12:56:27 PM »
It is only a political move by the current administration to incrementally attack Roe vs Wade.

In their minds, the ends justifies the means.

h

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 12:57:36 PM »
Personally, I don't like partial births. I would like to see a decision made in the first month. But I am a man, I do not know what a woman goes through who does not want the baby she is carrying. I also think any man not married to said woman already made his decision.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 01:00:19 PM »
There is no reason for the legislation. <--- period