Author Topic: Courtesy- Is it too much to expect here?  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Courtesy- Is it too much to expect here?
« on: November 06, 2003, 05:21:12 PM »
This morning I came into the Main for a few sorties. On same country radio, someone asks for the gun mode keyboard command for ship's guns. The requiste, "alt + F4" is typed back...by another same-country player. The newbie asks again...same reply. Newbie goes on to say he switched countries to help the underdog numbers out, and is somewhat bewildered that his "team" members can dis him, or give bogus information on...but can't give him a straight answer to the question.

What's going on here folks? Is it THAT DIFFICULT to show a new player a little bit of common courtesy?

DmdMax
The Damned MkXX

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 05:32:43 PM »
well max , not all of us are a-holes, some of us actualy try to help new players.

44MAG

Offline AVRO1

• Copper Member
Re: Courtesy- Is it too much to expect here?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 05:46:34 PM »
Originally posted by DMax
What's going on here folks? Is it THAT DIFFICULT to show a new player a little bit of common courtesy?

DmdMax
The Damned MkXX

Formany if unfortunatly is. :(

Offline F4i

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ghost-squadron.org/main/frame.html
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 05:58:44 PM »
Personally, I miss the old days in AW when we would trick the  newbies into punching out of their airplanes and dangle in their parachutes forever.  :D I don't know why we haven't adopted that joke here in AH.

If they use computers and don't know what "ALT+F4" does, it's about damn time they learn.  :aok :rofl

But, yes Max...courtesy would be expected on same-country channels.  On the open channel; however, the proverbial gloves come off.  :lol

TBolt

Offline A_Clown

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 06:15:51 PM »
I most always help new people, unless im in the heat of battle.
 I even occasionally visit tha TA, & offer a lil 1on1 training. Not long ago I had a pilot I helped in TA, tell me how much he appreciated & learned from the help I gave him, & how much he enjoys the game. Made me feel pretty good I must admit.
A_Clown

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 07:06:26 PM »
It’s sad that the 12-year-old mindset is so pervasive with the “Loud Crowd”.

May be it’s time that when someone types "alt + F4" or variations of it on the any channel… they ALT-F4! :) Live by your BS… disconnects by your BS. I bet HTC could build a "Back-Fire" code. ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 08:33:21 PM by Ozark »

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 08:22:41 PM »
And it's also sad there are so many here who delight in such antics with new folks when there are so many, loudmouth, arrogant  know it alls here who are much more interesting to laugh at. Right on Ozark, !

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 08:59:18 PM »
they just have to add alt f4 to the swearword mute list ..
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 07:31:39 AM »
Ah, the old ALT-F4.  I agree with Max that it was not appropriate in the example he gave or anytime somebody is asking for legitimate help.

But when a newbie asks for the cheat codes, I think it's the best one to give them. :D

Glove

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2003, 08:10:09 AM »
I fail to see anything reallly wrong with telling people to alt-f4.
Yes it can be counterproductive, and yes many of the people who tell others to do it are being jackoffs.
But its not like it's anything more than mildly annoying when you do it.  And also, anyone who doesnt know what alt-f4 does, really should learn.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2003, 10:01:08 AM »
I'll stop saying Alt-F4 when the "Two Weeks" expression goes away  :)

I don't mind giving out key commands here and there.  But when someone clearly hasn't made any effort to learn the game and demands help constantly...then I'm all for the alt-f4 comments.

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2003, 10:24:00 AM »
I generally help 2 or 3 times each login answering some question or other. When the same person is repeatedly asking for this or that I then try sending them to the TA or suggesting RTFM. If it doesn't stop most of the time I just squelch them.

This is not a First Person Shooter. There are a hell of a lot of keys to learn quite aside from the ACM aspect. Need to apply yourself a bit to play.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2003, 11:00:03 AM »
There's a difference (IMHO) between someone asking umpteen "how do ya...." questions on Ch 1 VS a new player asking a specific question on same-country...a relatively obscure question at that. I've been playen 2 years and I forgot how to set ships guns in "sea mode"

It seems the opinion is divided on this issue...all I'm saying is a little courtesy isn't going to set you back anything.

DmdMax
The Damend MkXX

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2003, 11:31:43 AM »
Neither is a little joke like Alt F4.  8)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2003, 12:15:27 PM »
Yet another reason for the permanent squelch list to be brought to AH2.

[soapbox] If some of these ID10T's that spend so much time offering their "help/answers" to legitimate questions would actually do something about it then we would have more noob targets to shoot at. [/soapbox]
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"