Author Topic: 1.993 report  (Read 886 times)

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
1.993 report
« on: November 06, 2003, 10:42:09 PM »
System:
Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2.13 GHz
Asus A7N266-C MB (nForce 1 415D chipset) using nForce 3.13 drivers.
Radeon 9800 (standard) video card with Cat 3.7 drivers
512 MB PC2100

1.993 is a definate improvement over 1.992.  Framerates seem slightly higher than 1.991 (could not test 1.992 because of text issue).  Wheels seem to spin correctly on P51 and Spit 9.  Shadows look very good, but I noticed 2 minor issues with them:
1.  Shadows are visible through wheels on the 2 planes I looked at.
2.  Shadows visible through plane when in external view and zoomed out far enough.

Firing guns doesn't seem to effect framerate much, and tracers look better.  Smoke is sometimes visible through plane body in external view at certain angles.  (Very minor issue.)

Turning on anisotropic filtering in quality mode does not seem to badly blur text anymore.  I tried turning it on because the trees sometimes seem to be only partially rendered.  The tree "trunk" (x shaped flat polys) always show up, but the middle and tops of the trees don't appear until I'm very close to them.  There is a very definate "line" across the screen where the rest of the trees are being filled in.  It almost looks like the effect you get with bilinear filtering.  I was hoping turning on anisotropic filtering would change this.  If there was any effect, it was only that the "line" was pushed back some, but not enough where I could definately say it made a difference.  (I'd say this is probably done intentionally to increase framerate.)

Other minor issues:

Zooming out far enough from plane (at least on p51) causes instrument panel to become transparent, letting you see through plane completely.

At certain angles certain terrain features seem to shimmer.  It maybe partially a driver issue, but 1.992 was much worse than 1.993 is. 1.991 and original release did not have this issue as far as I can remember.

Propellor on all but p51 blocks icons and sun (including causing shadows from the blades).  This is definately realistic, but causes annoying icon flicker.  On the P51, the propellor sometimes seems to fade away after spanning on the runway.  (Generally after quitting ah, restarting program and immediately spawning on runway will cause it for me.)

I can't seem to hit certain buildings with guns in the city, but I can definately collide with them.

Vehicles cannot leave hanger, the opening seems to be something you can collide with.

For some reason my framerate will occasionally drop from around 70 to 40 when flying low to the ground.  (1280x1024 32bit color, 4x FSAA, 8x Aniso)  The only commonality I can notice is that I've moved from a tree covered terrain tile to one of the grassy tiles with the small grass/bush objects on it.  I'm not real sure why this is happening, as the framerate will recover eventually.

I've got to say that the hanger user interface is coming along nicely.  About the only thing I notice here is that the bombs and drop tanks don't lift up onto the cart like the fuel drums do on that selector.  (I'm sure you know about this already.)

New text is much more readable on the ammo counters and icons seem crisper.  (As I said above, anisotropic filtering doesn't seem to blur this text anymore.)

AH 2 seems to be coming along very well, I'm enjoying testing each new version. :)

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
1.993 report
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 02:24:50 AM »
Bloom covered nearly everything I observed.

Would only add that the MG and canon flashes are visible through the 190g10's dash and it's shadow, while stationary, was jumping around and flashing white geometries.

I have crap aim, but it did seem that when I did have a good solution on the drones I was getting good hits.

Frame rates were in the upper 30's to low 40's and pretty stable with 1280x1024 32bit color and 4x FSAA.  The terrain shimmer was quite heavy on my machine.

Windows XP Professional & Service Pack 1
A7N8X2.0
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
768MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b
ATI 9500pro 128M w/ Cat 3.8's

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
1.993 report
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 04:34:12 AM »
Intel P4  1.5GHz
512MB ddr RAM
Asus P4G8X Deluxe
ATI Radeon 9500 PRO 128
CAT 3.8 drivers
Sound Blaster Live value

"1. Shadows are visible through wheels on the 2 planes I looked at.
2. Shadows visible through plane when in external view and zoomed out far enough.

Firing guns doesn't seem to effect framerate much, and tracers look better. Smoke is sometimes visible through plane body in external view at certain angles. (Very minor issue.)"
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Same for me.

Some other things I noticed:
When object size is set to maximum performance, I noticed that town buildings took awhile to be drawn. Setting it to maximum quality fixed this i.e. they were already rendered when I reached visual range.

The muzzle flashes either aren't there or aren't symmetrical with the exception of the P51D. In external view no muzzle flash can be seen.

Buildings in the countryside were not always visible from certain angles e.g. looking  over the wing while in a 90 degree bank when object size was set to max. performance.

"The tree "trunk" (x shaped flat polys) always show up, but the middle and tops of the trees don't appear until I'm very close to them."

"At certain angles certain terrain features seem to shimmer."

"1.991 and original release did not have this issue as far as I can remember."

Also noticed the above. Buildings and trees shimmered in most angles.

"Propellor on all but p51 blocks icons and sun (including causing shadows from the blades). This is definately realistic, but causes annoying icon flicker."
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Same for me.

"I can't seem to hit certain buildings with guns in the city, but I can definately collide with them."

Again the same.

I couldn't hit any antennae on the field or in the town, don't know if this is intentional or not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

While in the hangar, I couldn't select 50% fuel it was at 25%
I'd have to go to 75 or 100% before being able to select 50% fuel.

Setting convergence beyond 400 made it go through the wall, also to get to the convergence I had to move the view either by keyboard or hat switch.

The artificial horizon gets screwed up past 90 degrees straight up.

The wheels were spinning all the time on both planes.

Wheels on the P51 disappeared when retracted with the gear doors still open.
Gear on the spit shown in retracted position even when gear is down.
Ordinance and DTs not visible on plane from internal or external views.

The P51D looks "compressed" in the side views instead of looking slim and streamlined as it is in the top - down, front, rear views and in AH.

Gunnery looks to be the same as AH but no flames or damage shown on the drones. They disappear when killed.

I'm getting frame rates as high as before in AH and as low as 11 with the airfield, town and drones in sight while flying. Overall frame rates have improved in this version.

Intel P4  1.5GHz
512MB ddr RAM
Asus P4G8X Deluxe
ATI Radeon 9500 PRO 128
CAT 3.8 drivers
Sound Blaster Live value

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
1.993 report
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 06:03:32 AM »
I was able to drive thru the forest canopy tree tunks (in an M3) but not thru shrub/lightly wooded objects.
Ludere Vincere

Offline TheFox

• Copper Member
      • http://www.fox-photography.co.uk
Video Stutter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 07:08:20 AM »
Same comments as stated earlier in this thread with frame rates constant at about 40fps but with the additional 'feature' of frame stutter every 1-2 seconds when at low level (terrain prominent in front view) or viewing the terrain through canopy sides.

Clipboard is hidden by canopy frame in Spit IX (on ground - but not in flight)

Shadows and lighting fantastic !

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
1.993 report
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 01:02:46 PM »
Intel P4 1.5GHz
512MB ddr RAM
Asus P4G8X Deluxe
ATI Radeon 9500 PRO 128
CAT 3.8 drivers
Sound Blaster Live value

I'm getting frame rates as high as before in AH and as low as 11 with the airfield, town and drones in sight while flying.

EDIT: This was at           1024x768

Max. Texture Size: Unlimited

Frame Rate:           Unlimited

Color depth:          32 bit

Level of Detail and Displayed Object Size set to Maximum
         Quality

Bump mapping:      Checked
         Transitions:            Checked
         Horizon:                 Checked

Offline klem

• Zinc Member
      • http://homepage.ntlworld.com/klem/
1.993 report
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 04:08:21 PM »
Abit KG7 lite mobo
AMD 1400 CPU
512Mb RAM
Geforce4MX440 64MB video card
SB 5.1 soundcard
Win98SE
Directx9b

Initial video settings
1024x768
32bit
unlimited frames
gamma 1.0
Paletised Textures unchecked
View range max

Detail m20% from left
Object size 20% from left

32 FPS
30 FPS
35-42 FPS
33-35 FPS

Strikes on drones seem a little weak but showing.

Unable to CMeye the buildings tests - in-out too coarse to settle by a biulding.

Collision with drones and ground definitely work though
:rofl

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
1.993 report
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 04:49:34 PM »
posting after bloom is redundant.  nufsed.  he said it.  well done bloom!

Offline GODO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s/fw190.htm
1.993 report
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 05:58:37 PM »
No glitches neither graphic problems with max detail (1280 and 1024),  but this and the previous version freeze after some minutes flying any plane (no crash, just freeze).

GF3 Ti500 64Mb (Detonators 4403)
DX8, W98SE
512MB
AMD XP2100
SB Audigy2