Author Topic: Can we call it a quagmire yet?  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Can we call it a quagmire yet?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2003, 12:34:41 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
It's been said before but bears repeating; where would you rather we fight al-qaeda, there or here?

Are you implying that the invasion of Iraq was an elaborate plan to entice Al-qaeda into that country to fight?

Your right that does bear repeating. Say it like a mantra. Just to set the tone.

Heres a hint. Invade any country and "terrorists" will fight you.

Amazing how that works.

Offline mrblack

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2003, 12:44:06 AM »
Originally posted by Pongo
Are you implying that the invasion of Iraq was an elaborate plan to entice Al-qaeda into that country to fight?

Your right that does bear repeating. Say it like a mantra. Just to set the tone.

Amazing how that works.

Naaay Shad up:D

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2003, 04:11:42 AM »
Pongo :D

Its not about WMD. Its not about OBL. Its not even about fighting Terrorism, Its about Giving Democracy to those Dang Savages.
 Iraq will be the showcase of how Democracy works.
 Once the Middle East sees the error of their ways and can look at the Free and Shining Democratic Republic of Iraqpuppets installed courtesy of the USA All will rush to sign on with the Democratic Bandwagon.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 04:17:47 AM by Ping »
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2003, 08:17:42 AM »
No....

300,000 Iraqis May Be in Mass Graves

By BASSEM MROUE and NIKO PRICE
Associated Press Writers

November 8, 2003, 5:55 PM EST

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Saddam Hussein's government is believed to have buried as many as 300,000 opponents in 263 mass graves that dot the Iraqi landscape, the top human rights official in the U.S.-led civilian administration said Saturday.

Sandy Hodgkinson said the administration has been sending forensic teams to investigate those grave sites reported to U.S. officials. So far, the existence of about 40 graves has been confirmed.

"We have found mass graves with women and children with bullet holes in their heads," she said.

President Bush has referred to Iraqi mass graves frequently in recent months, saying they provide evidence that the war to drive Saddam from power was justified.

But some human rights activists have criticized the U.S.-led administration in Iraq for moving too slowly to protect grave sites and begin excavations, and have expressed skepticism that it will ever fully identify who is buried in the mass graves.

"There is just no way -- technologically, financially -- that they're going to deal with mass graves on this magnitude," said Susannah Sirkin of Physicians for Human Rights in Boston.

The U.S.-led administration held a workshop Saturday to train dozens of Iraqis to find and protect the mass grave sites. Hodgkinson said the workers would be crucial in protecting the sites from desperate relatives trying to dig for evidence of their missing loved ones.

In the weeks after the U.S.-led war drove Saddam from power, relatives damaged some grave sites, using bulldozers that mangled bodies and scattering papers and clothing that could have been used to identify remains.

The largest mass grave discovered so far, a site near the southern town of Mahaweel believed to hold at least 3,115 bodies, was damaged by relatives searching for remains. But officials say most of the mass graves haven't been disturbed.

Mass graves "tell the story of missing loved ones such as where, when and how they were killed," Hodgkinson said. "Truth and proper burial is the first step toward reconciliation."

Iraqi Human Rights Minister Abdul-Basit Turki said that in addition to families' need to find the bodies of missing relatives, excavating mass graves is important in building criminal cases against members of the former regime.

International tribunals handle prosecutions for atrocities in the former Yugoslavia, where tens of thousands of missing are believed buried in mass graves, and Rwanda, in which many of the 500,000 victims of a 100-day killing spree in 1994 were buried in communal pits.

But for Iraq, the United States has insisted any trials be conducted by a new Iraqi legal system that is still being developed.

Neither Iraq nor the United States are signatories to the International Criminal Court and it would take a vote of the U.N. Security Council to create a special tribunal for Iraq, which is considered unlikely.

Many human rights groups agree that Iraqis should lead the legal process, but say international participation is crucial for it to be legitimate and impartial. Some have been hesitant to participate in excavations before the legal system is in place.

"Mass graves really can corroborate witness testimony and documents which show what happened in a crime," Hodgkinson said, although she cautioned: "a mass grave by itself won't tell you who did it."

Hodgkinson said the majority of people buried in the mass graves are believed to be Kurds killed by Saddam in the 1980s after rebelling against the government and Shiites killed after an uprising following the 1991 Gulf War.

Hodgkinson said the investigation process would be similar to that used in Bosnia after its 1992-95 war. But she cautioned that if Bosnia is any indication, the process in Iraq will be long and complicated.

In Bosnia, she said, it has taken nine years to unearth 8,000 of the 30,000 bodies believed buried in mass graves.

Human rights activists say U.S. authorities in Iraq have been much slower to address the problem than were authorities in Bosnia. In Bosnia, said Sam Zia-Zarifi of Human Rights Watch, "within the first year there were 25 teams in and a (U.N.) tribunal in place."

In Iraq, some international teams that were hoping to begin their work before winter have delayed their arrival because of violence, including the bombing of the U.N. headquarters in Baghdad.

At a donor conference last month, more than $100 million was requested for uncovering mass graves. The donations, which are expected to come in the form of equipment and personnel, would be used over five years, Hodgkinson said.

* __

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2003, 08:24:24 AM »
Originally posted by Pongo

Amazing how that works.

I know you live a bit of a sheltered life Pongo but the US has been attacked by middle easterners on many occasions over many years. Taking the fight to them is long overdue.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2003, 08:34:38 AM »
seems to me that a lot of other despots are behaving much better lately.   Allways good to slap one in the head once in a while... as a side benifiet.... they don't murder their own people in such large numbers when they are in exile or on good behavior.... world misery level goes way down.

plus... 30 broke terrorists *****ing about the great satan around the worn out sofa at abduls house is lots less scarry than all of em having government bought condos next door to you.
lazs

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2003, 08:39:07 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
That's a little narrowminded, do you think OBL is the ONLY terrorist out there should we only go after terrorists AFTER they attack us.  

He is the one who planned the attack on TWC. It's like having someone rob a bank, then instead of arresting him, we arrest a local booky.

But I guess it is narrowminded to stay focused on the big fish.

Yes, I think OBL should be priority #1, because he is public enemy #1. So call me narrowminded.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 08:50:11 AM by Sixpence »
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2003, 08:51:24 AM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
He is the one who planned the attack on TWC. It's like having someone rob a bank, then instead of arresting him, we arrest a local booky.

But I guess it is narrowminded to stay focused on the big fish.

Yes, I think OBL should be priority #1, because he is public enemy #1. So call me narrowminded.

What makes you think he isn't priority #1? I think it's possible that we may even know where he is. It would be prudent to watch him, gather intel on all his associates, and get as many as possible when the hammer comes down. If it happens just before the next presidential election you'll know I'm right. ;)

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2003, 09:02:56 AM »
We were watching him in Afghanistan too. Time to cut off the head of the snake.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2003, 09:04:58 AM »
We were watching him in Afghanistan too. Time to cut off the head of the snake.

And look what happened to the Taliban.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2003, 09:06:09 AM »
They moved next door where the nukes are.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2003, 09:13:04 AM »
They moved next door where the nukes are.

Like I said, lotsa rope makes many nooses.