Author Topic: SPIN RECOVERY...made simple!  (Read 518 times)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
SPIN RECOVERY...made simple!
« on: November 14, 2003, 06:49:02 AM »
Ohmygawsh! I stalled my pony and now I'm in a spin! That's ok, I have 20,000 feet to work with. Hey. what's goin on? Shes' not coming outa the spin like she's supposed to!!!! Wait! She's spinning the other way now!
                     HHHHEEEEELLlLLLPPPP!!!!    

SPLAT!

So what went wrong? TECHNIQUE!!! Or lack there of. But, we'll explain how to get out of a bad spin with minimum loss of altitude! It's simple!!!

I'll explain it with and without the required joystick, etc. The more equipment you have to work with the easier it is. But, that doesn't mean the lack of a stick means your gonna die!

With a joystick, including throttle control and rudders. Rudder can be either twisty stick, pedals or Left rudder = a key, center rudder = s key and right rudder = d key. Ah-HINT, HINT!!!
Just what does it take for spin recovery?

I'm don't plan to go into all the aerodynamics of spins because I know you just wanna get out of it and RIGHT NOW! Let's just say you were flying one minute and now your spinning like a top. 'nuff said.

So the plane's spinning. First you stop its spinning.
How? you must do two things immediately.
1) power off (kill your throttle) the engine provides torque which does nothing to stop the spin.
2) determine which way your spinning. That takes a lil over a heartbeat to figure out. Once you know your spinng left TROMP OPPOSITE (right) RUDDER (or hit your D key).

Ok you got that done...only took a split second. Ok, remember that the plane stop flying when it went into the spin. As the rotation (spin) slows to a stop do the following

3) center rudder (s key)
4) push a lil forward stick pressure
5) add a little (and I mean a little bit) of throttle back in

What you are doing is getting the old streed back flying again.
If you give her too much gas the torque will dump you right back into a spin.

As soon as you see your airspeed begin to increase ease the nose up a lil and add more gas.

Your back flying again.    SIMPLE!!!  :D

For those mouse users, control of throttle is slower. Hit and hold the minus (-) key. Try and center your mouse and use the rudder keys to stop the spin. As she stabilizes, hit the plus (+) key and ease her back flying with your mouse. You can also turn your wheel on the mouse into a throttle.

Better yet spend the $20 on a stick. You will get alot more enjoyment outa flying.

Ren