Author Topic: Ground vehicles and ptboats-make sense here?  (Read 604 times)

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Ground vehicles and ptboats-make sense here?
« on: November 12, 2003, 08:31:57 PM »
Do ground vehicles and ptboats make any game play sense here? What I mean are there ways to have fun and success in them or are they secondary? In the "other game" they seemed more of a novelty and something to do when your field was capped, but really made no sense as far as fun game play. I'm just curious if there are any files in ways to use these parts of the game and get the same sense of action as in the air.

(see I have an awful fram rate - like less than 15 - in furballs :))

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 08:39:08 PM »
GV's can be fun, but it depends on the situation and what you are into.  You can typically capture a base (if that's your thing) by solely using GVs.  You can also, on some maps, go to a place right in the middle that is often refered to as "tank town".  This is just a spot where a bunch of GV spawn points all come together to make for some pretty decent tank battles.  A good tank battle can be a lot of fun but spawning into a location where someone is spawn camping (ie, sitting right behind the spawn-point waiting to blast you the second you appear) is not so great.

Search the Help a bit, I'm sure you can find some additional material on GVs and how to properly employ them.

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 03:53:06 AM »
pt boats are kinda useless

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 06:09:34 AM »
actually if you pull in front of a CV out of ack range, that 40mm does a number on the cruiser

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 07:39:44 AM »
Do ground vehicles and ptboats make any game play sense here? What I mean are there ways to have fun and success in them or are they secondary?

note the name of the game. it's "ACES HIGH".

but yes, some find them to be fun.

Bozon

edit:
High - more distant in the direction opposite of gravity. no conection to weed smoking.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 07:42:58 AM by bozon »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 07:51:58 AM »
Yes, they make sence. It adds a new dimention to the game, and imo it makes it better than with just ac.

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 10:23:06 AM »
The fact is, HiTech is going to run out of sensible aircraft additions to the game soon, and he likes the idea of opening things up to more of an all-encompassing WWII sim.

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 05:07:37 PM »
GV's make a lot of sense, great tactical weapons for offense and defense. PT Boats are good for getting LVT's in to shore or launching against nme cv's in a cv battle. I'd like to see more GV's myself, maybe mobile range guns.

My only gripe is that getting out at the city is a ditch - doesn't make sense. If thats the way it's gotta be then should have a VH at city too.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 06:33:51 PM »
kj714,
If you are referring to the town at the base, you can land successfully there in a GV. I've even done it in a plane. Pull in on the road past the church and park next to the maproom, you will land successfully every time.

Tweety Bird,
GV's are a blast. You can take a whole platoon of GV's to a base and have a lot of fun. It also makes things more interesting when you are flying, air to ground combat is the purpose of tactical air power.

As for PT's, I am very unsuccessful in them when attacking CV's. I hope Rutilant will share further details, because the 5" guns usually shred me before I feel close enough to launch torps. Without some sort of range finder and way to calculate speeds and bearings ( like real PT boats had) it's seems impossible to launch a torp attack with much hope of hitting anything.

I have successfully landed a PT boat on several occasions at an airbase after killing attacking planes or enemy PTs. Here's how:
The airbase must have a runway that points out across the beach at the water. Navigate your PT in direct line with the runway as if landing a plane. Approach the beach VERY slowly. Your PT will hit bottom a good ways off shore, and ground itself. Too fast, and when you hit the bottom, you will instantly die. I generally put the PT in Neutral and drift at less than 5 MPH into shore. If you are in direct line with the runway when you go aground, just hit the tower button and you will land successfully.

Most likely you will explode when you hit the bottom the first few times.  And not all bases or maps have a runway near enough to the shoreline for this to work.