Author Topic: An Ironic Trend in Online Gaming - Political Correctness at its Worst  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
An Ironic Trend in Online Gaming - Political Correctness at its Worst
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2000, 03:00:00 PM »
ooops thought you were Botabing hehe sorry   Guess I should pay more attention...

Udie

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2000, 03:28:00 PM »
Bota-Bing,

There is so much lack of understanding and backwards logic in your post, I don't know where to begin.

I think it is amazing that people want entertainment time (flying this game for example) that is more strictly controlled that their day to day lives.

No, I want my entertainment time to be more civilized than my regular day-to-day life.

In every online game I have played, there has always been a background chatter of the people who want more control, more restrictions, less personal accountability.

We want more personal accountability, not less. If we had more personal accountability, we wouldn't need a filter. Hello? Sheesh!

Do you honestly believe that its better to MUTE people for saying something that HTC thinks is inappropriate, than to simply give everyone the option on whether or not to be able to hear those things? No matter what context? No matter what reason for the language?

Yes, especially when 95% of the rest of us know better than to use offensive language like diddly and toejam in public. Like it or not, every place in America has a moral "code", from your local church to your local strip joint. They just use different codes, that's all. HiTech has determined that Aces High is not going to be the cesspool of online behavior.

Adjust to it, or take your money and your foul-mouthed friends and hit the road!

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2000, 04:32:00 PM »
I should probably clear something up for those of you who are so closed-minded that you can't even think that I am posting out of an objective viewpoint, not some self-serving desire for a right to force you to hear my cussing. I cuss on the squad channel. I don't cuss on the public channel.

Just because I don't cuss on the public channel doesn't mean I don't have a reason to belive that the server-side filter is the wrong solution to carrying out HTC's goal.

No server-side solution, short of simply banning someone, will ever fix the problem of people saying things you don't like to hear.

I feel like the majority of the people responding don't really understand my point, so I will try to rephrase it and see if that helps.

#1 - A server-side filter is not the best solution to HTC's desire to change/steer the atmosphere of the game.

#2 - Picking out certain cuss words to filter is the first step in a long line of steps to total thought control

You start with muting people for saying "Shit"...it's only a matter of time before you move on to muting people who say "Jap". What kind of bellybutton would mute someone for saying "Jap" but not someone who says "Brit". Once you've picked out all the words that each segment of the arena finds offensive..what then?

Its more than clear...once you have banned certain words, next will be banning topics of discussion. Hell, thats already old news, there are plenty of small-minded people here who would love to ban any public discussion of World War II, nationality, sexuality, history, politics, religion.

Its an endless train of hobgoblins. You start with words...already there are people on the boards asking for more words to be banned, and for racial words/slurs to be banned. Then there are people asking for words in other languages to be banned. People have long since asked people not to discuss certain topics, adn it wont be long now until someone is asking for HTC to filter those topics, or to simply take reports and screenshots and ban users altogether for talking about certain things.

Mark my words....

A few days ago, they banned a small list of American English profanities.

The same night, people were on the boards asking for more American English profanities to be banned.

After that, people were asking for profanities in many other languages to be banned.

The next day, people were on the boards asking for racial slurs to be banned. Not even just racial slurs, but culturally significant abbreviations like Gerry, Jap, etc.

In the past, people have asked that NUMEROUS
topics not even be discussed, such as World War II history, world history, religion, politics, etc

If you can't see that coming, then you're as blind and small-minded as your posts make you sound.

There is one simple solution to not liking what someone else is saying.

IGNORE THEM
SQUELCH THEM
CLIENT-SIDE FILTER
TURN OFF THE CHANNEL
ASK THEM TO STOP

funked

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2000, 04:34:00 PM »

What kind of bellybutton would mute someone for saying "Jap" but not someone who says "Brit".

The kind of bellybutton who has Japanese-American friends and understands the history of this SLUR in the US.

By the same logic you use, I can call all African-American AH players cupcakes because cupcake is short for negro which literally means black, which is an acceptable term.  Also cupcake could be short for Nigeria and I've known a few African-Americans from Nigeria.  So I think I'll just call them all cupcakes.  That would be great, I'm sure it would go over REALLY WELL.

Botabing, do you really feel that all speech is appropriate in all situations?

Were you raised by wolves?

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 09-26-2000).]

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2000, 04:35:00 PM »
BotaBing,
Have you ever asked somebody who is swearing up a storm online to kindly stop?

Do you know what the reaction is?

Edit:
Brit IS simply a contraction of British, it even carries a bit of affection.
The other IS a racial slur.  It WAS used that way and it IS STILL USED THAT WAY.

Sisu
-Karnak

[This message has been edited by Karnak (edited 09-26-2000).]
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline joness

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2000, 04:37:00 PM »
BotaBing

maybe you will understand this

YOU...ARE...TAKING...THIS...FILTER...THING...WAY...TOO...SERIOUSLY!!

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the game!

------------------
joness
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" in AH
44th FS <Vampires> in WB

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2000, 04:50:00 PM »
Are you telling me that there is NOONE who finds "Brit" offensive?

Are you saying that there is no legitimate use of the word "JaP"?

Brit is short for British.
Jap is short for Japanese.

Are you really going to sit there with with a straight face and say one should be banned and the other should not?

That's ridiculous, and that's why i'm against censorship when there are other better alternatives.

By the by, go watch a World War II movie, either real or staged, and you will find that people use the words "Brit" "Gerry" "Yanks" and "Jap" throughout, and I have yet to find a difference.

Jap is offensive to some japanese people because the lost a war they started, and they were ashamed. Of course they are going to be overly sensitive, its human nature. It doesn't mean you get to Cortez a word and preempt everyone else from using it in its historically correct context.

You have to be a moron to think that Jap is the same as cupcake.

Jap is an abbreviation of Japanese, a country.

cupcake is a racial slur, has always been a racial slure, has never been used for anything else, and its an abbreviation of Negro, a race not a country.

Comparing those two words is moronic, and it discredits any other legitimate point you might have made.

[This message has been edited by BotaBing (edited 09-26-2000).]

Offline jcy19

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2000, 04:50:00 PM »
well the way i see it is this.
 yes people do cuss ll the time, im very bad about it myself. but  an outburst(letting a word slip) is a little bet diffrent than taking the time to type that word for everyone to see. imo that isnt really neccesary in a public form to get your point across. thank you

------------------
jcy19  | ||AirWolves| |

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2000, 05:16:00 PM »
BotaBing:
 Calm down. You say that this is the first step towards total control.
 Have you taken the time to read HT's post carefully? HT mentioned they did the same thing in WB's. After people calmed down and started being respectfull the filter was removed.
 That is what this is all about..RESPECT..
 Respect for ones neighbour
 Respect for ones house
 Respect for others rights
Are you so self centered that you refuse to weigh out the consequences of unrestrained actions? Total anarchy seems to be what you would prefer.
 There will always be be rules of common decency, whether self imposed or not. We as a group have broken the rules of common decency towards our friends neighhbours, and HTC's place of business.
 Respect that this is HT's house, and he wants others to enjoy their stay here.

Ping
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

funked

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2000, 06:44:00 PM »
Bota Bing you simply don't get it on the Jap thing.  To all the Japanese-Americans I know, "jap" IS the same as "cupcake".

funked

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2000, 06:48:00 PM »
PS I don't think we need to tell Botabing to calm down.  He doesn't like this and he's being loud about it, but he's not making it personal or rude AFAIK.  He even let my joke about the wolves slide.  So I think he's quite calm already.  

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2000, 06:49:00 PM »
funked

you are statistically insignifincant. at most, you know, actually know, 30-50 japanese people...or maybe you're some kind of social genius and you know 75-100. and you know them in a country other than japan.

Thats meaningless in the big scope of things. there are millions and millions of japanese in the world, not all of them find it offensive.

If Saudi Arabians find "Saudi" offensive, would we ban it?

The point is that you cannot run your life by what someone else finds offensive, you'll end up not saying anything, not going anywhere..

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2000, 07:15:00 PM »
Mmm... target fixation, me thinks.

Yea these are dire times indeed, Botabing... but chin up dude... I know you can get through this.

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2000, 07:26:00 PM »

Originally posted by BotaBing:
funked

you are statistically insignifincant. at most, you know, actually know, 30-50 japanese people...or maybe you're some kind of social genius and you know 75-100. and you know them in a country other than japan.

Thats meaningless in the big scope of things. there are millions and millions of japanese in the world, not all of them find it offensive.

Ummm....so if he is statistically insignificant, what did you do some kind of poll to find out that Japanese people don't find it offensive? Or did you talk to all them individually?  

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
Luftjägerkorps

funked

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2000, 07:31:00 PM »
Whatever BotaBing.  All I know is that if you called my friend Koichi a "jap" to his face, you'd better duck.   He's got a quick right.  

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 09-26-2000).]