Author Topic: Xterra 1, Beemer 0  (Read 629 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
sand

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 09:26:10 PM »
I find that hard to believe... unless he was going 15mph or less.

An 8"+ diameter log? That Xterra would of had a helluva time with that log at anything above 15mph.

I hit a speed bump offset going 50mph in an explorer 3 years ago (was unpainted and at night, and yes - I was speeding through an unlit mall parking lot)... damn near ended up on my side.
-SW

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 09:31:55 PM »
Originally posted by AKS\/\/ulfe
I find that hard to believe... unless he was going 15mph or less.

An 8"+ diameter log? That Xterra would of had a helluva time with that log at anything above 15mph.

I hit a speed bump offset going 50mph in an explorer 3 years ago (was unpainted and at night, and yes - I was speeding through an unlit mall parking lot)... damn near ended up on my side.
-SW

My X has about nine inches of clearance and it's for the most part all stock. The one in the story is fairly highly modified.
sand

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 09:34:46 PM »
Clearance is one thing - but take it out and hit an 8"+ log at the average roadway speed... you should find clearance is only worthwhile at low speeds.

I think this person is overestimating what he/she hit... probably more like a 4" branch. That would still send a car careening into a ditch.
-SW

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 09:37:42 PM »
Originally posted by AKS\/\/ulfe
Clearance is one thing - but take it out and hit an 8"+ log at the average roadway speed... you should find clearance is only worthwhile at low speeds.

On a good flat road isn't the clearance fairly constant? Certainly, things shift around with braking and acceleration and dips and such... but if it's a flat road this doesn't seem beyond belief.

Granted... the guy probably is exaggerating somewhat, but I did ask... He states that the beemer actually high-centered on the log... that probably took more than four inches to do that.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 09:42:25 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 09:44:51 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

Ground clearance, as I understand it, indicates how deep the wheel well is for the tires to go up into, or how high the lowest point of the chassis is above the obstacle you are attemping to get over.

I don't believe it indicates how high of an object it can clear at any speed without some structural integrity compromised/damaged/destroyed.

The Explorer I was driving had about 8" of ground clearance (maybe a little more due to extensions), and that was over a 4" speed bump.
-SW

Offline majic

• Silver Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 09:54:53 PM »
I believe the log was parallel to the cars' paths.  It passed between the first car's wheels but the BMW's wasn't high enough to clear it.

Am i reading that right sandman?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 09:56:03 PM »
NM
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 09:58:18 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 09:57:34 PM »
Originally posted by majic
I believe the log was parallel to the cars' paths.  It passed between the first car's wheels but the BMW's wasn't high enough to clear it.

Am i reading that right sandman?

Exactly! He straddled the log. He didn't drive the tires over it.

THANK YOU! I now understand SW's question... doh!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 10:43:12 AM by Sandman »
sand

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 09:59:34 PM »
Oh, okay - now I understand.

I thought he hit it perpindicular, not parallel.

Now it makes sense. ;)
-SW

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 01:21:34 AM »
Didn't read the article, but I had something similar to the explanation happen to me a few years back (hell, think it was '96 or so). Was driving my old '85 S-10 and a ladder fell off a contractors truck in front of me. I swerved a little to let it pass between my wheels. This was on a two lane bridge in pretty heavy traffic, goin about 65 or so. Nowhere to really go to get outta the way. I looked back and saw a Lexus hop up the end of the ladder and stick about halfway down, pushing the sucker down the road. I almost felt sorry for the poor bastard driving the truck.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 01:45:49 AM »
countdown 'till Ripsnort...

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2003, 02:06:32 AM »
While driving my toyota 4x4 down I-5 just north of LA, had a 2 ft long section of 1" steel pipe come off a truck in front of me.  Had plenty of room between us and I saw it rolling down the freeway.  Cars on both sides and no time to stop, I figure no problem just straddling it the best I can.  Only problem was it hit something on the road, popped up and hit something on my underside.  My truck started vibrating like mad and I thought it had popped a tire.  No such luck.  It hit my rear drive shaft and bent it all to hell.  

Not many roadside garages carry drive shafts and that includes the one I got towed to.  That day pretty much sucked.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2003, 02:22:55 AM »
So some highly modified off road vehicle didnt get stuck on a log while a low riding sports sedan did?  

I guess I'm courious where you guys see the special victory for Nissan..

It would be like if some BMW driver came here bragging how he stomped a Hummer H2 at an autocross event - so what?

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Xterra 1, Beemer 0
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2003, 03:01:52 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
So some highly modified off road vehicle didnt get stuck on a log while a low riding sports sedan did?  

I guess I'm courious where you guys see the special victory for Nissan..

It would be like if some BMW driver came here bragging how he stomped a Hummer H2 at an autocross event - so what?

I think the point was more about a tailgater getting his just desserts than any particular type vs type thing.

culero (doesn't like tailgaters either)
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey