Author Topic: sad  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
sad
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2001, 08:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by BD:
Dumped the ex-wife, got a 2001 Audi allroad.  I must smile every time I get in it.  Since I stopped flying planes in real life (tm), it's the closest I've been able to get.

Oh, except for landing a King Air at Atlanta Hartsfield last spring. That was cool!
   :D

Nice Wagon!  The only wagon (Avant) I like better is the RS4.

Offline FlyingDuckSittingSwan

• Copper Member
sad
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2001, 12:44:00 PM »
Mr Ripley:
F1 cars are designed to disintegrate on impact but not all of the car is very fragile. For example the various body parts like the nose-cone are made of carbon which is not very good at absorbing impacts. But behind the nose-cone you have the supension linkage and wheels etc which will absorb the impact. Also, not every impact is a frontal one. For a side impact you have the radiators, again the wheels and various suspension plus also the engiine and gearbox which will absorb energy. All the various components like the suspension linkages, gearbox, engine, axles etc are not rigidly connected to the main chasis, on purpose, but the wheels are anchored to it to avoid them being flung around after a few marshalls died as a result of flying wheels.
Senna's was a freak accident and if you saw the pictures of his helmet, the only reason why he died was because the suspension arm entered the part inbetween his visor and the main body of his helmet, which has only a thin rubber seal in which to protect his head. A million to one chance.

I can also quote you accidents which happened due to massive deaccelaration due to non absorption of energy from the impact.
Mika Hakkinen at Suzuka in 1995 hit a barrier at approximately 150 mph. His car survived pretty much intact. Due to the massive deacceleration he suffered a massive blood clot and they actually performed brain surgery with him still strapped in his car in order to save his life.

Remember that our brains are surrounded by cerebal liquid so if you are travelling 60 mph and suddenly stop, your brain will smash into your skull at 60 mph, hence a blood clot.

Also, I don't know if you've ever been involved in a car accident, but even if it's not fatal, you can still suffer severe backlash and can damage your spine or neck if the crumple zones don't alleviate some of the energy. Children can also be injured at lower speeds by sudden deacceleration and not to mention pedastrians are more easily killed by rigid inflexible cars when hit.

Lazy: I'd much rather a leaky Jag then a Ford any day! As for OJ Simpson, that was more about the US justice system (which is also a bit fishy) rather then civil liberties, but take your gun laws...a shambles without a way out because of a constitution which was penned during the time of Butch Cassidy. I wouldn't be so proud of it.  ;)
Maybe we did get Ruby Wax, but just look what you got in return. The Duchess of York!! HAHA! I'd take Ruby anyday! But if Ruby is typical of your teeth over there, then I think your gov should go easier on the flouride in water.  :D

Said by Mox:  
Working in Dallas in the Turtle Creek area you cannot go a block without seeing a Ferrari, Porsche, RR, Bentley etc,  

Hmmm...all European cars. Tells you a lot I think!  :p

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
sad
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
Duck: I seriously doubt they cracked his skull open at the racetrack LOL!

What the main surgeon (Was his name Sid Watkins?) did do to Häkkinen was perform an airpassage opening through his throat while he was lying on the girder after being removed from his car. Häkkinen later said this operation caused him the biggest pain he ever had in his life, but thanked the doctors at the same time for saving his life.

He got a severe concussion because he hit his head to the side of the cockpit - reason why nowadays the F1 cars have soft cushions around the driver. It's not possible for a driver to reach the side of the cockpit with his head, but the impact stretched Häkkinens neck momentarily so much that he actually banged his head right beside the steering wheel. This shows clearly in the picture taken by the driver camera on impact.

If he would have hit the wall in a normal car with crumple zones at that speed, he would have been a crumpled bloody mass in an unreckognizable pile of metal.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
sad
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by FlyingDuckSittingSwan:
Due to the massive deacceleration he suffered a massive blood clot and they actually performed brain surgery with him still strapped in his car in order to save his life.

:)

Lazs:

Originally posted by lazs1:
No... actually you ended up with FoMoCo.. Course that was a good thing since they rescued all your car compannies and banished the prince of darkness (joe lucas) and all the other british gremlins.   Wow!  A Jag that doesn't leak and starts up without calling a mechanic and... The headlights work.... at night even!  A dependabel jag?  Blasphemy! OJ??  well, better to let him go so that he can catch the one armed man than impose some kinda "knife control"..   "ruby wax"???  Must be some kinda left over lend lease thing we pawned off on you guys... You don't really use that crap do ya?
lazs

That is a gem of a reply.  :)

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
sad
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
fdss... so.. what you are saying is that you would rather push your jag than drive a ford?  sorry, the point is moot... jags are fords.   gun control?   LOL gun control is for little girls and brits.   I guess now tho that even the aussies have turned into wussy little gun control freaks (with a 40% increase in crime that came with that "enlightened" decision)  The wax thing went right over my head but british dental care is as legendary as british automobile dependability and electrical system reliability.
lazs

Offline M.C.202

• Copper Member
sad
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2001, 02:50:00 PM »
FlyingDuckSittingSwan (hereafter FDSS) said:
but take your gun laws...a shambles without a way out because of a constitution which was penned during the time of Butch Cassidy. I wouldn't be so proud of it.  
end quote

Humm,  T.J., G.W.  and the boys do a little "writin an fightin " around 1776, Butch Cassidy develops the first cardless A.T.M. withdrawal system in the 1870's.  Nope, not the same time.
Of course you "wouldn't be so proud of it", you don't know when it was done.

As to the  "a shambles without a way out", here in Nevada (where Butch did some of his economic redistribution work) if you want a pistol (revolver or semi-auto) rifle, or shotgun you go to the shop, pick it out, wait for a phone "background check", pay the price and walk out with it or them. Not a "shamble" at all.

He he, my wife and I have a few Brit toys you can’t own as part of the proud history of your own country. Number I MkIII, Mk V Number IV Mk I....“Watson, do you have your service revolver...”

Full auto guns and destructive devices (cannon, explosive shells, etc. ) take a federal tax stamp (sorta like what helped lead to that 1776 thing) and that can take up to six months. The fun thing is that flamethrowers do not seem to be  covered by Federal law, so check your State and local laws  and flame away  :D  I have not found one yet.

The person with the highest kill count in Nevada used a licenced and registered weapon, a Lincoln. Humm, that may prove part of your car thing though.

Having had Brit (Jag, A.H. 100/6,) French ( I am too ashamed to name it, R) , Italian (FIAT, Alfa, Inoccenti sp?) German (V.W., Opel) Swedish and Japanese cars in addition to U.S. iron, I would get all but the French again, but not as my day in day out ride. None of above (except for one of three Volvos) had the ability to grind out 35,000 to 60,000 miles a year in tough conditions. One of the best I had was a ‘67 Olds Delmont 88 with the small engine (330 cu in, I think). It had 89,000 on the clock when I bought it for $150.00 and 65,000 when I sold it two years later for $600.00 to a guy who was going to restore it.

Nevada is bigger than most nations in Europe, it takes a lot of driving across empty land to get from place to place. It’s not that unusual to do a 100 mile drive for a dinner.
Current cars:
Olds, Toyota, and the fun toy, a ‘43 jeep and trailer.

Offline newguy

• Nickel Member
sad
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2001, 03:40:00 PM »
Yep, gotta go for the American iron for cars that last. You think some of your states are big MC 202?  :D I drive 5-600km just to visit a buddy in the same province  :) I do own 1 brit car, a 75 MGB, but it spends most of its time at the mechanics shop, and would not be driven out of town. My other cars, a 66 Corvair, 73 Dart and a 77 Vette are far more reliable, and in the case of the vette, fun to drive.
Oh yea, for all you euro's, if you want a real sports car, get a 2002 Z06 Vette. Costs half as much as a new Porche and out preforms it. Have a nice day  :)

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
sad
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2001, 03:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by newguy:
Oh yea, for all you euro's, if you want a real sports car, get a 2002 Z06 Vette. Costs half as much as a new Porche and out preforms it. Have a nice day    :)

I like the Z06 but...  a $25K WRX will beat it in a race that has many turns.  I've been to Texas Motor Speedway (the inside track not the oval) and watched Quattro cars (mainly WRX's, A4's and S4) walk away from vettes and vipers.

Of course a straight line (no real skill  here) race would have a much different outcome.  

Some guy in Dallas has a WRX that runs 0-60mph in 4.5secs. Not bad for a 2 liter that cost less than $30K with mods.

I love the engine sound in the Z06!

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Mox ]

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
sad
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2001, 04:08:00 PM »
Mox don't be silly.  A WRX is not going to beat a Z06.  Z06 has acceleration, braking, and cornering grip way beyond anything sold by Subaru or Audi.  But WRX is going to beat any other $25k car.  

If you saw WRX and Audis beating Vettes and Vipers then there was either some mods on the WRX and Audis or the Vette and Viper drivers were lousy.  In production based racing series they actually put Vettes and Vipers in a different class from relatively slow cars like Subarus and Audis.  4WD is nothing special for racing on dry surfaces.  Don't believe the marketing hype or fanboy websites.

FDS thanks for the laughs.  Brain surgery LOL.  Limey cars DOUBLE LOL!

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline TPIguy

• Copper Member
sad
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2001, 04:43:00 PM »
Of course a straight line (no real skill here) race would have a much different outcome.

*chough* It takes alot of skill to launch a high hp/torque car at the strip sucessfully. Unlike most people think, you don't just press the gas to the floor when the light turns green.

And I agree w/ funk, driver makes as much if not more diffence in a race than how fast a car is.

As for me I can't afford any of them $$$ european imports, so I'll stick to camaros.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
sad
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2001, 05:11:00 PM »
*chough* It takes alot of skill to launch a high hp/torque car at the strip sucessfully. Unlike most people think, you don't just press the gas to the floor when the light turns green.

I saw a race on ESPN one time... with the half million $$$ Jaguars that aren't street legal in the states.  Millionares would buy the cars and then sponser race car drivers to race them in a series.  The drivers were big names from everywhere... F1, Indycar, NASCAR and some sedan racing.  The winner of the heat I watched was normally racing for Budwieser.. in funnycars.

I've always liked the way British cars handled.  I even owned a Jaguar XJ6 for a bit and loved that car.  But there's an old joke: "Why don't the British make refridgerators? Because they can't figure out how to get them to leak oil."

I'd buy an 83-86 XJ6 again... but I'd put a GM fuel injected 350 crate motor in it to make it a real car.

The best all-around car I ever owned, though, was a 92 Nissan 300ZX.  Good power, awesome handling and generally neato.

AKDejaVu

Offline FlyingDuckSittingSwan

• Copper Member
sad
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2001, 05:12:00 PM »
Mr. Ripley!  :mad:
Mika Hakkinen did not suffer a "severe concussion", rather he had a fractured skull and was in a coma for 4 days!! They did not add cushioned side support after Mika's accident, rather they added it after Senna's death a year before in 1994!
And laugh all you want but they did perform surgery while he was still strapped into the car! They actually drilled a hole in his head to allieviate the pressure from the blood clot.

Lazy...yes a Jag is far better then a Ford. Even a leaky Jag without headlights!! Ruby Wax is all teeth. I think your government exagerated on the flouride...cos she's got more teeth than a flipping hacksaw! Either that or they're just big!

Oh yea, for all you euro's, if you want a real sports car, get a 2002 Z06 Vette. Costs half as much as a new Porche and out preforms it.  
Said by Newguy.

Yeah right. Is it faster then the Porsche Turbo 3? Or how about the 956? Why don;t we talk Italian sports cars?  :rolleyes:

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
sad
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2001, 05:19:00 PM »
They did not add cushioned side support after Mika's accident, rather they added it after Senna's death a year before in 1994!

After Senna's death?  Why?  I thought the major contributor to his death was a suspension component penetrating his visor.

As for the brain surgery comment... I'd really have to see an article on that. There really isn't much to tell you that someone needs to have a hole drilled in their head just by looking... though I sometimes think people have had holes drilled in their heads just by reading their typing.

AKDejaVu

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
sad
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2001, 05:25:00 PM »
FDS ye are confused about Mika:  http://www.hakkinen.net/aboutmika/articles/1998_firstaid.html

And ye don't know much about cars either.  956 was an early 1980's Porsche Group C car.  Comparing it with a $40k street Chevy is a bit silly.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
sad
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2001, 05:33:00 PM »
Found a pretty good description of the 95 accident:

[url]http://www.hakkinen.net/aboutmika/articles/2001_accident.html[/quote]

Makes specific mention of a traceotomy... no mention of drilling holes in skulls.

AKDejaVu