Author Topic: Hunting: For or Against and why?  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Sundiver

• Copper Member
Hunting: For or Against and why?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2003, 12:51:48 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
I'm against me killing defenseless animals.  Unless they bother me, then they've earned it.  I couldn't care less what others choose to do with their time.  Well, I take that back...somebody go bag a deer and send me some venison summer sausage!   mmmmmm

*chuckles* I've got about four pounds of moose summer sausage left in my freezer that do? ;)

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2003, 12:55:13 PM »
Originally posted by Sikboy
What if the animal has hired Johnny Cochran?

Well, you see, that kinda bothers me...  :D

PS...never had Moose before, except for that Moose Tracks ice cream, but I think that's got artificial Moose in it.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2003, 01:03:59 PM »
The tracks are artificial but the the moose poop isn't SOB.

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2003, 01:17:24 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
I could easily kill animal, but I couldn't bring myself to eat him.  Way too gamey.

MiniD

soak the meat in milk or salty water overnight or 24 hours, in frige. that will take the gamey taste out.
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2003, 02:02:25 PM »
Uh, bigsky, I think Mini-D was referring to "Animal" of the O'club, as opposed to animals found in the wild.

I don't think Animal would fit in the fridge....well, maybe if we cut his arm & legs off.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2003, 02:06:18 PM »
So you're saying that Animal is way too gamey even for soaking in milk or salt water?  Yeah, probably.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2003, 02:46:11 PM »
So if I soaked in milk over night you'd eat me?  I wonder if this works on girls too.

MiniD

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2003, 03:07:56 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
So if I soaked in milk over night you'd eat me?  I wonder if this works on girls too.

MiniD

If you gotta soak em in milk first, you might want to look for fresher girls.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2003, 03:28:51 PM »
I don't hunt anymore.  The last Deer I took was a Mule Doe in Montana in 1995... Hard downhill, appx 450yrds, high winds with a 7x57 and I pegged her within an inch of where I meant the bullet to go.  So, considered I'd probably never make a better shot, and as I got older I disliked killing animals for any reason more and more, I quit.  

I'm not against hunting, We need hunting to keep the herds healthy.  The growth of the population of Man has left very few, if any areas of the world that Deer (among many other animals) can survive without active wildlife management.  

There are two things that really bother me about hunting though...

First and foremost, I'm not just against Trophy hunting, I hate it.  Now, if the hunter doesn't waste, thats fine but those who hunt (especially with a firearm) for the sole pupose of bragging rights IMHO is a retard who oughta be taken out and horsewhipped, BY A HORSE!  And these guys who go out and Trophy hunt then try and condone killing by giving away or donating the meat... gimme a break, that guy has issues!

Second,  HUNTING PROGRAMS!!  NOTHING irks me more than watching some dipwit hunting show where they kill, then dance with glee over "the prize Buck"!!  For godsakes WHAT else could do more damage to keeping hunting alive (as needed) than watching a proud buck drop like a wet rag to the shot of some noodle who sounds like the 3rd grade was a major accomplishment????  Oh sure, lets just broadcast our handsomehunk-hick selves across the entire nation (to include those who have no clue what or why we need wildlife management)... ya, that'll teach them city-slickers :rolleyes:
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Kekule

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2003, 03:38:09 PM »
...it teaches a respect for nature and the balance therein...
Perhaps, but what is the lesson taught?  Here's how I see it.  Deer overpopulation has been caused by two main factors: 1) predator elimination caused by humans (as you mentioned) and 2) destruction of wildlife habitat to make room for WalMarts and other human dwellings.

The human solution to human-caused eco-problems and human caused nature imbalances? Kill 'em.  We've eliminated the predators and the habitat, might as well eliminate what is left.  Problem solved. :)

IMHO not the best lesson to teach.

The rest of your points are fine.

For the record, I don't hunt, but am not against hunting provided you eat what you kill and can take down an animal skillfully.  In fact, I live in rural Virginia and there's a hunt-club right across road from my house, and several more hunt clubs within a few miles.  

A skilled and educated hunter is more efficient than a slaughterhouse.  Both in terms of killing an animal and in terms of waste, not to mention a much greater respect for their "target".

Canned-hunters, baiters and poachers, well... it's not best to f*&k with mother nature.  ;)

banana makes a good point (anti-Darwin thinning of the herd) but without natural predators, I wonder if it really makes a difference anymore.  *shrug*

Kekule

Offline Munkii

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2003, 03:47:46 PM »
I myself like guns, and I like to eat deer, rabbit, squirrel, and other wild animals, but I don't like to shoot them myself.  I like to shoot at targets or other things I setup.  I've never been hunting, and never really want to, but I love it when others go hunting and give me deer meat.  Venison Jerky, Venison sausage, and venison in general is the best tasting meat, anyone near Oklahoma have any extra? :D

Offline KanadianKrusty

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2003, 04:00:46 PM »
I like hunting, my dad gave me a .12 gauge 2 years ago (when I was 14) and since then I've been hunting a lot (mainly deer, goose(which we have to hunt a lot in Quebec or we'll have too much of them), and duck), it's quite sad that there aren't more teeneagers that are into hunting, I think it can make us more responsible and patient, and Lords knows my generation needs both of these.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2003, 05:33:27 PM »
If it ain't vermin or you ain't going to eat it don't kill it. Anything else is fair game.
If you are going to hunt it, use a gun (or a bow I suppose). I can't abide these people who set dogs to tear foxes, stags or badgers apart.

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2003, 05:52:53 PM »
OH, hehe swoosh. i didnt get it.
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
I am for, but have never gone.
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2003, 06:06:44 PM »
It needs to be done and if people eat what they kill I am fine with it. Plus is makes green tree hugging rutabagas want to cry so it is all the better.

I want to go dear hunting and use my M1 Garand.