Author Topic: Poll: Dish or cable  (Read 779 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Poll: Dish or cable
« on: November 22, 2003, 12:55:24 PM »
I have to say I'm impressed.  After years of putting up with Adelphia's crappy service and selection I got a dish in three rooms with more channles for cheaper.  

I ALMOST wanted to hug the installer like in the comercial but I resisted.  In a couple months I shall add TIVO and my life will almost be complete.:D

Offline mrblack

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 01:01:18 PM »
I love the dish as well.
But when i comes a bid rain storm It goes out due to interference.
But a small price to pay I think.

Offline Sundiver

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 01:46:27 PM »
I think the dish is certainly the better source for television assuming you have a means other than cable for high-speed access.

I am curious though. Why use Tivio when you can purchase a TV card for your computer for under 50 bucks and record direct to your HD AND watch tv on your computer? What's the advantage of a TIVO type device over a television capture card?

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 01:53:35 PM »
Originally posted by Sundiver
I think the dish is certainly the better source for television assuming you have a means other than cable for high-speed access.

I am curious though. Why use Tivio when you can purchase a TV card for your computer for under 50 bucks and record direct to your HD AND watch tv on your computer? What's the advantage of a TIVO type device over a television capture card?

My computer screen is 21 inches.

My tv is 53.

Offline Sundiver

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2003, 01:55:19 PM »
Originally posted by Martlet
My computer screen is 21 inches.

My tv is 53.

Ever hear of something called video out?

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2003, 02:02:17 PM »
Ever hear of something called video out?

Sure, if I care to move my tv to my office, my computer to my tv, or run a cable across my house.

Tivo is easier.  I set the programs I want it to record, and it records them.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2003, 02:47:31 PM »
Direct TV is the bomb

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2003, 03:03:46 PM »
DirecTV with TiVo.  Integrated unit with 2 tuners.  :aok

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2003, 03:06:49 PM »

I've yet to see a TV tuner card that can decode dish signals.

The DirecTV/TiVo units have two tuners built in.  The software is great (integrated with the programming guide), so it finds what you want, and uses the tuners to record it, even if I'm asleep or not home.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2003, 03:15:47 PM »
Yeah TV cards on computers:

A) Well, they do include recording software, and even timeshifting.  Of course, many of the card manufacturers run the audio into the computer via a line in, so in order to get Tivo-like timeshifting, you'll need to have the live audio enabled == worthless.

B) If you're watching a lot of TV, why tie up the computer?

C) In any case, a tv-in solution has to sit on top of windows, video card drivers and audio card drivers.  It's just not optimal.

Offline Sundiver

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2003, 05:52:59 PM »
Originally posted by Dinger
Yeah TV cards on computers:

A) Well, they do include recording software, and even timeshifting.  Of course, many of the card manufacturers run the audio into the computer via a line in, so in order to get Tivo-like timeshifting, you'll need to have the live audio enabled == worthless.

B) If you're watching a lot of TV, why tie up the computer?

C) In any case, a tv-in solution has to sit on top of windows, video card drivers and audio card drivers.  It's just not optimal.

Truly? I run mine under Linux so wouldn't know about the windows issues but I get full surround sound on my Bose speakers right out of the computer. But my tuner card doesn't use line in so that may be the difference. It has full search functions and uses TV Guide online. Guess it's just a matter of different tastes. With wireless I can broadcast direct from the computer to the TV.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2003, 06:06:58 PM »
I have had Dish Network since '99. Will NEVER go cable again. Yeah, when a big storm cloud is in line with the dish it does go out...but in 5 min or so it's back. With cable, a big storm would knock it out and in 2-3 days it would come back on. Plus Dish Network is cheaper than DirecTv. Too bad the merger got nixed.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2003, 06:12:18 PM »
NFL Sunday ticket.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2003, 06:21:54 PM »
I work for a cable company.

I use Direct TV at home.

The ONLY two advantages cable has over dish is that cable alllows you to have (if you pay for the service), Video on Demand.

(aka, if you missed BAND OF BROTHERS and have HBO VOD, you can simply menu over and tell HBO to play it for you)

and that cable can carry broadband internet connection.

Dish has a ****load more channels, waaaay cheaper (100 channels cable in my area= $64, 600+channels in dish for $40).

Dish's only drawbacks are the LOS (storms you lose signal for a few mins) and the 'digitizing' issue (signal not received correctly, birds crapping on your dish, etc.. makes the 'black boxes' and 'screeches' in your screen).

But, as the original poster said, dish's problems usually last only a few minutes. If something screws up with cable, its a few days wait for the cable tech.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2003, 06:47:11 PM »
I gotta put in a good word for Comcast digital cable.  Pricey, but great pic and great options, especially with Video On Demand via the cable tuner's 80-meg hard drive.  

Finally now I'm in charge of my TV programming and can watch what I want when I want, and even pause and rerun live TV programs.  Couldn't be easier -- light years away from VHS quality and recording challenges.  

Use it for TV and computer.  Once you have it, would be very difficult to go back to anything slower or less quality.  

The underground cable is generally very reliable and provides digital quality pics, and Comcast always responds very quickly to any calls for service or tech support.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous