Author Topic: Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/Acrobat Help Please?  (Read 286 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/Acrobat Help Please?
« on: August 17, 2000, 04:31:00 PM »
I have been working on the arena map for my Central Med. Terrain, and have about 20 hours into it.

Last night I was working on it, and saved it as a .pdf file within Adobe Illustrator 7.0 (which I have done many times with no problems).

Today when I tried to open to put the finishing touches on it in Illustrator, I get a "Not enough Memory" error, even though it hadn't changed from the way I had saved it last night, while working on it. (IE I made that file and saved it in Illustrator, so why can Illustrator not open the file it created)

I have 196 Megs of true RAM, of which Illustrator reports 151 Megs free. And I have 3 Gigs of HD space that Win98 can use for virtual memory (but it seems like Illustrator won't use virtual memory).

If I try to open the file in Adobe Acrobat (full version), I have no problems opening it, but I can't delete one of the layers (a bitmap) that I know is causing the problems, since Acrobat doesn't recognize the layers.

If I try to open it in Photoshop 4.0 it crashes, telling me that it isn't an Acrobat file.

So what can I do to open the file and get rid of the one problem layer, that is the only thing I had added since the last save and reopen earlier in the day?

Obviously I can't add more RAM at this time, or transfer it to a machine with more RAM.

Suggestions??

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2000, 04:40:00 PM »
The first thing you tried was a reboot right? I get the memory BS on machines here at work while using the digital camera software. Reboot takes care of it. I'd think you'd have plenty of memory.

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2000, 04:40:00 PM »
I don't use illustrator, but if it's anything like photoshop, there is a thing called Scratch Disk under File/Preferences... see what folder it's pointed to, and empty it.

------------------
Nathan "NATEDOG" Mathieu
Art Director
HiTech Creations
-=HELLFIRE SQUAD=-

".... And on the eighth day, God created beer. "

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2000, 06:05:00 PM »
What am I looking to delete?

It is just like Photoshop, but that points to a plugin subdirectory (just like Photoshop) which contains nothing but subdirectorys, and the scratch disk just points to either "startup" or "C:\" , not any particular directory.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2000, 06:51:00 PM »

Originally posted by Vermillion:
What am I looking to delete?

It is just like Photoshop, but that points to a plugin subdirectory (just like Photoshop) which contains nothing but subdirectorys, and the scratch disk just points to either "startup" or "C:\" , not any particular directory.

Use Coreldraw 9.
I'll answer ANY questions about that, PhotoPaint...I AM THE BEST BABY!!!!!!!

NUTTZ

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2000, 07:01:00 PM »
Only one small problem Nuttz, I don't have CorelDraw9  

I was able to open the exact same file using Adobe Illustrator 9.0 Tryout version. Only problem with that is, that Adobe in their infinite wisdom "Castrated" the ability to save, export, or copy to clipboard, with the Tryout version.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

dudedog

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2000, 07:07:00 PM »
You could try increasing your virtual memory. If you're running win9x, right-click "my computer", click properties, click the performance tab, and try doubling your alloted virtual memory.

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2000, 04:41:00 AM »
Hmm,
No idea what could be causing the problem - you might want to try reducing the numbers of layers, since I'm pretty sure I heard once the layers in older versions of Illustrator were badly programmed. Don't quote me on that though.

Still, I use Illustrator 8, so if there's anything I can do to help, just shout  

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2000, 06:27:00 AM »
I tried the virtual memory change, but it seems that Illustrator is totally ignoring the fact that I have virtual memory, and will only use true memory.

Duma, if I could open the thing, I could delete the layer that I know is causing the problem   But I can't open it, in any piece of software that will let me access the material by layer.  I agree that its a bug/problem in Illustrator 7.0, since I can easily open in in Illustrator 9.0 Tryout versions, but the "Tryout" won't let you save, export, or copy to clipboard.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2000, 06:29:00 AM »
Email it to me and tell me what needs doing - I can export it back in a 7.0 compatible file.