Author Topic: New Tour!  (Read 1123 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
JB73
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2003, 06:53:16 PM »
like an Osprey
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
New Tour!
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2003, 08:26:57 PM »
The B-pony weapon package, like the rest of this aircraft, is more than capable air-to-air.
Hornet

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
New Tour!
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2003, 11:00:54 PM »
never was meant that it isn't more than capable, 2 50s are enough most of the time you're even half-saddled. It was whether 2 guns extra made a difference or not.

What WT said.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
New Tour!
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2003, 11:06:58 PM »
Hmmm ... I'm up for a challenge. Think I'll park the 109 this tour and grab a 110. Great guns, but it's like flying a bus.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Hades55

• Nickel Member
New Tour!
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2003, 01:16:13 AM »
no no, gscholz, better take a 202 :D

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
New Tour!
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2003, 08:55:30 AM »
Originally posted by Steve
The guns of the B have a different feel, for me anyway.  IMO, there is a noticeable difference in the gun packages, specifically in snap  shots.

To me, the difference between 4 and 6 .50s isn't as big a deal when you're saddled up with an enemy fighter as it is when engaging big bombers.  Still, I can knock off a wingtip in a single pass with a B stang but I just have to start shooting a little sooner.

The B feels lighter to me than the D and seems to roll and turn a bit better as a result.  WEP seems to make a bigger difference in performance in the B than the D, too. There may be a difference in turn radius between the two models but not much of one if there is. There's also a slight advantage in not having the D-stang's "sparkle" beyond icon range - I can stalk a target and close the distance a bit before he knows I'm in a Mustang.

I took a B up on my first flight last night.  First I shot down Tabasco's 190D in a rolling turnfight away from the main air channel that started at 20k and ended up around 10k.  Then, I entered the flight stream of a Bish base capture effort and shot down Lemonhead's Typhoon and Lasher's 110.  As I climbed out I was caught from behind by a LA-7 that had crept up in my B-stang's blindspot.  Doh!

Things got a bit hairy after that and I had to take up a Yak9U to try and clear the field, but if the situation had been better I probably would've flown the B-stang again.  Its not a bad little airplane.

The 500 lbers on each rack are perfectly capable of killing GVs and town buildings. :)  If a heavier load is needed, I'll take a Corsair.

Offline captg

• Zinc Member
P-40...what a ride
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2003, 09:55:00 AM »
I have fallen in love with the P-40 this frame...started end of last frame.  Maybe it is Mitsu's sounds (much different than most planes), but it is refreshing.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
New Tour!
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2003, 10:19:00 AM »
Spit V so far for me.  2 deaths so far, one was 1 ping ack to radiator, other was 1 ping to main fuel tank. :(

will wrapping my purty 'lil spit in bubblewrap help protect it?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
New Tour!
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2003, 10:38:47 AM »
To me, the difference between 4 and 6 .50s isn't as big a deal when you're saddled up with an enemy fighter

Gofaster,  I'm glad you have more success than me w/ the 4 gun package.  I try not to spend time saddled up.  In a furball, in my pony, if I saddle up to get a kill, it means  lost E and time given for someone to saddle up on me.
Doing this could allow an la7 to sneak up in my blind spot.    ;)
I've been doing much low fighting last few tours in the pony.  Can't get too twisty in a furball in the pony... it's just too inviting a target once it's slow. Nope, for me if I'm saddled up, it means I've made a mistake in not getting the quick kill.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
New Tour!
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2003, 10:39:36 AM »
P51B and D-11 have been my favorites as of late.  The WEP goes on for a coniderable amount of time inthe Razorback.  Its certainly not a turn fighter, but once fast, it stays fast.  Still learning this plane...pretty good chasing buffs.  Those 8 50 cals are just *nice*

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
New Tour!
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2003, 10:53:27 AM »
As I've pretty much been a bravo pony driver for a good while, I feel I can chime in here.  The bravo is a very capable aircraft.  It will outturn the delta below 10k, but gives up the edge in speed and climb.  Above 14k the bravo eats the delta for lunch in climb and speed.  One huge advantage is taking it into a furball with 25% fuel.  You can turn with the spits and surprise them to no end as you stay saddled up on them picking them apart.

I've found the 4 gun package has helped me tremendously in picking and choosing my shots.  Unfortunately it also leads to a far greater percentage of assists.  As for attacking bombers, I tend to focus my fire on the wingtips as they seem to be the most vulnerable spots on the heavies.

If it is jabo work that is required, the bravo doesn't carry the same punch as the delta.  I will only take 500 pounders, and leave the bazooka tubes in the hangar.  However, the 2 bombs make short work of fuel/ammo/barracks/gvs.

Gofaster, I think you'll enjoy the bravo.  It's a great ride and hugely underestimated by most opponents.

Offline MotorOil

• Copper Member
New Tour!
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2003, 04:04:49 PM »
This tour I think I'll concentrate on the Spit series.  Also want to improve my 262.  To balance things off a bit I plan to land some kills in the Hurr I, IIc  this tour.   Still likely to fly A6M and the odd 109 I imagine.  Perhaps a little more Mosquito, fun go with it last night.  Nothin like watchin 10 guys landing kills in Mosquitos after a successfull raid.