Author Topic: Initial impression: it stinks  (Read 4518 times)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Initial impression: it stinks
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2003, 10:21:23 AM »
I know the procedure IRL and in AH ... well I think otherwise I'm just dead and it's my ghost who post here ;)

Firewall your throttle IRL (it would be better to do that in your car when in neutral)
Firewall your throttle in AH.

Do you see the difference ?

It's one of the key difference between AH and IRL added to the complete lack of feed back we have in AH, I guess this is the reason AH behave differently as I don't think a real engine react so slowly especially a 1000 hp one (my experience of high power engine is limited to my 210hp car :p).

It won't change the fact that IRL it's not difficult : respect the procedure and all should be ok.

Note that I don't disagree with you about the better feeling B5 has,even if it's up to HT to tune it the way he want.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2003, 10:24:58 AM »
a 210 hp citroen?  scary.   I thought my 120hp 72' opel was bad.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 10:35:03 AM by ergRTC »

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2003, 10:47:56 AM »
I know the procedure IRL and in AH ... well I think otherwise I'm just dead and it's my ghost who post here  

Firewall your throttle IRL (it would be better to do that in your car when in neutral)
Firewall your throttle in AH.

Do you see the difference ?

Yeah the problem is you don't know the procedure if you are saying firewall the throttle on take off.  You can hardly compare a plane and a car.  If you don't apply the trottle correctly at take off you will have a hard time getting off the ground with the narrow gear planes like the spit, 109 et-al in B5 and thats the way it should be.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2003, 11:27:32 AM »
Make the test Mars.

Btw  its not a Citroën it's a weird Peugeot ;)

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2003, 11:32:03 AM »
I thought Peugeot and citroen were the same company these days.  Kinda like cadillac and buick.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2003, 11:35:33 AM »
Exact , they are in the same group.

But their car have some differences :
the Peugeot is for me and the Citroën is for my father :D

(depending of the model obviouly )

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2003, 11:39:02 AM »
First time I went to france I had the good fortune of getting to ride in a high end citroen 4 door.  Very nice.  

Of course I also had to ride through the Massif Central in the smallest model of the same name I had ever seen.  Not too fond of heights to begin with.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2003, 01:37:17 PM »
Make what test?

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2003, 03:10:53 PM »
Compare the time you need to go from idle to full power.

In AH it need some 5 seconds (I know the engine had to move propeller and so on)  I find it slow.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I do find this strange.

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
QTS...
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2003, 03:13:56 PM »
There is a quick and easy solution to your problem. Don't play the beta. Get it? It's a beeeettttaaa. You are obviously not the type to TEST an early version of a game. Your comments like:

"Can't raise or lower flaps in assorted aircraft."
"Auto-takeoff doesn't work."
"The map is fuzzy. "

Are completely non-specific and help no one. You are like a little baby crying and mommy doesn't know if you need your diaper changes or if you're hungy or what. You are a grown up, right? Then ask for what you want specifically, don't whine and cry in general.

Your last line is a knee slapper:

"Guys, please invest some time in QA. I'm confident you'll do better next time."

Are you suggesting that HTC waste time and money by having someone (or some people) QA non-production code? What is the point of QA'ing something before it is matured and stablized? WE ARE THE QA! Get it? That is the whole point of a Beta release. If you want it better faster, than you can start by submitting usefull, specific comments and bug reports.

By definition a beta game will always suck, as soon as it doesn't suck, it's time to go gold and sell it and make some money. I'd much rather go through 100 sucky Beta's for free than pay money for an official release that wasn't ready yet *cough* lo-mac *cough*

And you say you've done software dev. yourself? Scary...

I wish they had  a "dolt" member rating.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2003, 03:16:27 PM »
Originally posted by zmeg
Is this another "DOLT" thread?

Yes it is:D

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2003, 04:45:29 PM »
Your right about not expecting a finished product from a program in beta, and obviously AHII still has a long way to go.

But in general (not just AHII), programs that are not far past the design phase are presented as beta, and the term is pretty much losing its meaning. At one time, beta was a stage where the program was pretty much finished and leftover bugs were being worked out by users pushing the program and trying to crash it. Obviously, its no longer like that and programs that would have been considered in design or alpha stages are presented as beta. So don't be too hard on the people that expect more from beta. The term has a different meaning now. Some accept it (mostly accountants :D), and some don't. Both positions have merit.

Offline mrblack

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: Initial impression: it stinks
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2003, 08:01:27 PM »
Originally posted by qts
I've played Beta 5 for approx 1 hour and my initial impression is that Beta 5 stinks.

1 GB P4-2400, XP Pro SP1 fully patched, Gf4-4200, DX9, 1024x768@32 bit, Cougar. Behind a Smoothwall firewall.

The clipboard UI has GOT to be improved. In the hangar it almost covers everything when at a usable size. It's very hard to select the fuel.

Very difficult to take off in many aircraft.

Zoom doesn't work but causes screen flashing.
Can't raise or lower flaps in assorted aircraft.
Auto-takeoff doesn't work.

When firing at buildings, I get hit sprites on farmhouses but nothing when attacking buildings on enemy airfields and no damage seems to be taken in either case.

Mouseview won't turn off and is bl**dy annoying when the clipboard is up. Can it be automatically disabled when the clipboard is up?

In the cockpit, parts of the cockpit e.g. the frame, overlay the clipboard.

The map is fuzzy.

I was switching between views and once got a front view with no cockpit. I was unable to repeat this.

Guys, please invest some time in QA. I'm confident you'll do better next time.

qts=DOLT

Offline Hades55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2003, 09:15:40 PM »
1179 posts in 3 months ?

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2003, 10:23:41 PM »
if i call someone hitler will that make this thread go away?