Author Topic: A question about the ground handling...  (Read 678 times)

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
A question about the ground handling...
« on: December 07, 2003, 04:20:49 AM »
So far I really like Beta 5. I do like the ground handling aspect of it, makes it more of a challange to takeoff and land. I do have one problem though. The Spit IX. I cannot get it down the runway without it going into yaw ocilation that I can't control. I have not had any problems with any of the other aircraft. The G-10 for example has a similar main landing gear track width and power to weight ratio but if I watch my p's and q's I can fly it off the ground every time. Spit V is easy enough too.

I guess my question is: Is it possible that my installation porked the ground handling on the Spit IX and not the others?

I apply power slowly and smoothly and try to compensate "just enough" with rudder but I can't even get a high speed taxi going at 1/4 throttle! It reminds me of the occasional "tank slapper" I would get into riding dirt bikes :).

I have reduced my rudder effectivity to try to reduce the chance of overcompensating. Nothing seems to work. I think my record distance so far has been about 400 yards down the runway.
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 04:42:38 AM »
HT said the IX has some sort of bug and as a result its wing is touching the ground or some such.

// fats

Offline RGJ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 07:47:30 AM »
Hiya Mark:).

Like fats says it is a bug with the Spitfire MkIX on take off but if you put it on auto angle before take off, then whack the throttle open and she is soon airbourne:).

That should tide you over until the bug is fixed.

Look forward to seeing you online mate.

RGJ

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 08:22:05 AM »
Hiya Colin! Looking forward to seeing you too. :aok
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 11:25:59 AM »
Map buttons or keys for Right and Left Wheel brakes, you are going to need them.

Spit 9 has a bug but even with the bug you can take off with judicious use of the right wheel brake.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 01:48:23 PM »
Minute Right rudder, very minute. ANd apply 3/4's to full right aileron during takeoff..