Author Topic: Know your Marauder  (Read 1057 times)

Offline -cman-

• Zinc Member
      • http://cman.digitalmechanics.cx
Know your Marauder
« on: December 11, 1999, 01:43:00 PM »
Here is a great link to and extensive article on the B-26 courtesy of Joe Baugher.  http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/baugher_us/b026i.html

Got a question for Pyro, et. al. on the decision to model the B-26 as the first medium bomber for AH:  What the ...?

Just because it had never been in a game before?  Or do you REALLY want to challenge us?

The B-26 (especially the B variants) had a very high wing loading resulting in high stall speed.  The landing speed was generally around 130 mph. There were so many training accidents that special hearings were held to determine if the Marauder would continue production.

The high wing loading was a result of the fairly big bomb load.  I quote from Baugher:

. A rack was introduced underneath the fuselage which could be attached to the belly to accommodate a 2000-pound torpedo. Fuel supply included two 350-gallon main fuel tanks in the wings, two 121-gallon auxiliary tanks, and up to four 250-gallon bomb bay ferry tanks, for a total capacity of 1962 gallons. Normal bomb load consisted of two 2000-lb or 1600-lb bombs, eight 500-pound, sixteen 250-lb, or thirty 100-lb bombs. Maximum short-range bombload was 5200 pounds, which was seldom carried. This could be two 1600-lb bombs plus a 2000-pound torpedo on the external rack.

Performance(at 37,000 pounds weight):
Maximum speed 270 mph at sea level
 282 mph at 15,000 feet.

Initial climb rate 1200 feet per minute. Service ceiling 21,700 feet.

Range 1150 miles at 214 mph with 3000 lbs of bombs and 962 gallons of fuel.

Take off distance to 50 feet, 3500 feet. Landing distance from 50 feet, 2900 feet.

There you have it.  Pyro, hope Baugher's data is close to what you have.  Looking forward to "The Widow Maker."

[This message has been edited by -cman- (edited 12-11-1999).]

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Know your Marauder
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 1999, 02:30:00 PM »
Well, we need a medium bomber.  The B-26 has never got its due in online games despite its stellar record so...  

I doubt it will pose too much of a challenge.  Everybody takes off and lands so hot anyway that it probably won't matter.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Know your Marauder
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 1999, 02:37:00 PM »
Just a question Pyro, why wasn't it german buff instead?
I've heard that next buff after B-26 might be Lancaster (That right?)

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Know your Marauder
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 1999, 02:52:00 PM »
What's so hard about landing at 130mph...? If you actually read that page it is  explained why there were so many accidents. It was human error, not any fault in the aircrafts design.

Offline scout

• Zinc Member
Know your Marauder
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 1999, 03:10:00 PM »
Always had a thing for the Marauder, ever since making a plastic model of some ..... (never mind) years ago.

Its fast (and survivable ?).
Like the idea of a bomber that could pose some challenge in taking off / landing.

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
Know your Marauder
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 1999, 03:42:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to flying the B-26

IC

Offline Smut

• Copper Member
Know your Marauder
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 1999, 05:47:00 PM »
Should be fun to fly the so called "Baltimore potato"...because the original short winged A model had "no visable means of support", and was built at Martin's Middle River plant near Baltimore, MD.

-Smut

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Know your Marauder
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 1999, 05:54:00 PM »
That comment about landing hot made me chuckle, Pyro.  I was thinking the same thing when I saw that the B-26 had a landing speed of 150mph.  Heck, I'm lucky if I'm landing as slow as that!

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

ingame: Raz

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
Know your Marauder
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 1999, 06:45:00 PM »
I'm thinking we might need to lengthen those runways on the mountain tops in order to accomodate the B26.

Here comes the pilot on approach.... and there he goes, over the other side of the mountain!  

------------------
C.O. Phoenix Squadron
www.users.bigpond.com/afinlayson/index.htm
'feel the heat .......'

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Know your Marauder
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 1999, 06:44:00 AM »
Fishu,

It's a U.S. Air Force conspiracy!

All the German medium bombers I am aware of, and there may be many more I am not aware of, never had the performance and payload capacity of the B-26. We have a nice slow bomber already, I think it will be grand to have one that performs the way the 26 does.

I have never been too impressed with the JU-88 in WB, not that it doesn't do it's job, it does have the capacity to carry two torpedoes and it dive bombs fairly well.  I just don't find it too interesting to fly. I always thought the HE110 would be neat cause I like the looks of it, but have read that it really didn't have much performance or payload capacity. It was an easy target with poor defences. Maybe that is why you want it...:-).

You might want to be grateful the A-26 isn't modeled, then we could chase you around at 30k with all those 50's... :-)

I think it's a good choice, and like Pyro said, never received it's due in flight sims. I am really looking forward to it.

MarkAT
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Know your Marauder
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 1999, 08:13:00 AM »
What are the chances of seeing the S.M.79 in Aces High? Add the C.R.42 and Gladiator to "compliment" it too.

Damn these USAAF uberbombers!  

-kier-

Know your Marauder
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 1999, 08:43:00 AM »
My good friend Mark sayeth:

You might want to be grateful the A-26 isn't modeled, then we could chase you around at 30k with all those
                         50's... :-)

Problem is that the published sources I have on medium bombers suggests a 18-25K ceiling on all of them, including the A-26. Even the Lancaster (Britain's best heavy) only went to 22K, and it doesn't have nearly the defensive power of the B17.

People are gonna fly the B26, but they are gonna only make one pass on a field (if they want to live, that is!   ).

[This message has been edited by -kier- (edited 12-12-1999).]

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
Know your Marauder
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 1999, 08:50:00 AM »

Juzz,

hows you'r so interested in Regia Areonautica a/c?  

I for one am very glad to see the Marauder, a new entry for online sims.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

v-twin

Know your Marauder
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 1999, 10:01:00 AM »
Yes gatt, but AFTER the SM79... :-)

v-twin
4°Stormo Caccia

Offline Windle

• Copper Member
Know your Marauder
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 1999, 11:46:00 AM »
Can't wait to pour the coal to those two big 2000hp P&W R-2800 radials!    Great choice for the next bomber HTC. <golf clap>

------------------
~Lt. Jg. Windle~

VF-17 The Jolly Rogers 8X
      Skychrgr@aol.com