Author Topic: Set up for Friday, 26 December  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Set up for Friday, 26 December
« on: December 24, 2003, 06:17:45 PM »
"Attack on Darwin"

Starting in February 1942, the Japanese Navy and Air Forces launched a series of attacks on the Australian port of Darwin. The ANZAC and USAF forces were equipped with a mixed bag of P-40s, Hudsons, and a handful of Spitfires.  Interestingly, the Spitfire pilots, who were fresh from combat in England, expected to eat Zeros for lunch, but instead suffered some serious setbacks. They quickly learned the hard lessons already absorbed by the Allied pilots in theater, that you don't turn with a Zeke, but used B&Z and wingman tactics.  Compounding their problem was the inherent complexity of the Spitfire, which had a dismal in-service rate in the harsh South Pacific theater.

Terrain: The Slot

Target Hardness:
2,000 lbs required to kill hangers; hardness of other objects are MA typical.

Downtimes:
Hangers - 15 min
Ack - 20 min
Supplies (fuel/ammo, etc) - 30 min
All other - 30 min

Order of Battle:

ANZAC: P-40B, Spitfire-I (two bases only), A-24 (SBD), C-47, all the M's, PT boats.
Allied DE fleet w/LVTs and PT only.

IJN/IJAA: A6M2, Val, Kate, C-47, all the M's.
IJN CV fleet: A6M2, Val, Kate, PT boats
IJN DE fleet LVT's and PT boats

All other fleets will be moved out of range and changed to neutral country. I left the Boston-III out of the mix because it is so fast, and because the early Hudsons it would be substituting for were used primarily as reccon birds at this place and time. I left out the Ki67 because it also is a bit uber for this fighter set, being a poor stand-in for the early Betty bombers it would be standing-in for. This is primarily a tactical air set up. While base capture will be allowed, the lack of medium and heavy bombers will make it hard for either side. The SBD is a late war model, but I felt it necessary to include some Allied attack capability, as neither of the Allied fighters carries a bomb.  The US 5th AF operated the Army version of the SBD, the A-24.  The Spitfires actually deployed to Darwin were mostly the Spit-V model.  I’m using the Spit-I to make up for the fact that we don’t have the A6M3 to counter it, plus to simulate the poor performance of the Spits due to maintenance issues.  Finally, the P-40B is being used even though the US and ANSAC forces were beginning to get the E models early in 1942, again as a concession to the A6M2 it is matched agains.

Historical Note: A Japanese invasion of Darwin was a very real concern to the Australian government from 1942 all the way through mid-1943.  This fear was reinforced by the very active air war that was fought over and around Darwin during the whole of this period.

Set up by Sabre
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 06:32:33 PM »
Great set-up!

And great justifications!

eskimo

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 06:46:34 PM »
Oh noooooo! Spitfires!!!!!!!

;0)

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2003, 06:47:05 PM »
This looks like a pretty neat fight forming up! Zeke vs Spit this could be a hell of a lot of fun. A matchup that I've never seen before and one that I suspect is viciously rare.

One small problem but I understand why you made the mistake. We have a PTO setup but you forgot to include my Hellcat. It is OK you can add it later. Perk it 100pts and put it at the most rear base you can find. I'll still fly it! ;)

Plz remember to add DAR and Fuel settings in the MOTD.

Merry Christmas!

Offline MajorDay

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 08:25:40 PM »
Look great setup, I was looking forward to see PTO again and I might fly with Arlo as Wingman or the rest of VF-17 or VF27.  :aok

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003, 09:30:34 PM »
P-40B, Spit vs A6M2   THANK YOU!

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003, 10:32:42 PM »
the zeeks are going to eat the p40b's apart just like they did in that one early setup i forget its name

o and the spitfire is going to be dead meat for the zeros

it does hold a small speed and climb over the zero but like i said its small

and we all no what the spitdweebs are going to do

turn burn turn burn turn burn:rofl

but im not whining im just telling everbody whats going to happen:)
known as Arctic in the main

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2003, 10:57:31 PM »
the spit 1 is perhaps 40mph faster than the zero....

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2003, 01:39:09 AM »
Originally posted by storch
:rolleyes: the zeke has 60 rds per gun.  the p40 has an iron tail = 1 per sortie, maybe.  the spit in AH enjoys an equal turnability with zeke and better speed as well.  The 8 .303's will shread the ricepaper lighter fluid soaked zekes with ease.  then some clever allies will also TnB with the SBD hitting u coming & going.  what's not to love? :aok really should be the A6M5.

The Pee-Farty will only shoot down the A6M2s that happen to fly in front of it. The Spit turns as well .. yeah ... shouldn't be too much a problem, right? It may try to break and run if it gets nervous. I would shoot it before it gets too far away. A pair of .22s can shred an A6M2 if you let `em. Never take an SBD for granted. The A6M5 compresses more and doesn't turn as well.

Merry Christmas, Storch. :D

P.S. There's as good a chance that my fellow squad-mates and I will fly axis as there is a chance we'll fly allied this set. I like that Spit but when the F4U isn't featured in a Pac setup or a Euro setup is running, we'll be checking the roster and map to see who the underdog is.

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2003, 05:34:34 AM »
Originally posted by storch
:rolleyes: the zeke has 60 rds per gun.  the p40 has an iron tail = 1 per sortie, maybe.  the spit in AH enjoys an equal turnability with zeke and better speed as well.  The 8 .303's will shread the ricepaper lighter fluid soaked zekes with ease.  then some clever allies will also TnB with the SBD hitting u coming & going.  what's not to love? :aok really should be the A6M5.

lol, zeke2 is more then enough.

as usual i will fly for the lower #d side.

great matchup, 1 of the bests! :)

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2003, 09:57:27 AM »
Storch,

After chatting with Brady during the last Okinawa setup I decided to do some studying on this subject. Ready for the really scary conclusion?

The IJ forces never had any serious JABO capability. None. Certainly nothing similar to the 110 or P47. The KI45 carried 1 37mm gun and 2 20mm guns. Flew with a load of about 1000lbs of ORD. The best of their bombers carried a bit over 2000lbs (4 x 250kg) bombs.

The best possible fit for the KI45 is the 110G2. The fit isn't that great. It carries twice as much ordnance in its' bay and has the option of loading even more on the wing hardpoints. It also carries far more ammo and flies faster.

Maybe substituting the TBM and not allowing carrier ops with it would take up some of the "hvy bomber" slack. In many ways it matches up. However the TBM can carry rockets as well so this isn't that great.

If there was a way to limit droppable ordnance loadouts it'd be easier to find a good substitute but without this ability it is fairly impossible.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2003, 10:23:39 AM »
Sure but it'd be nice to have a skin. *ShruG*

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2003, 10:49:41 AM »
i suspect that if IJA will have the 110c4
most will fly it instead of the zeke for A2A sorties

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2003, 11:56:52 AM »
For the record allow me to restate that all you allies are nothing but a bunch of... wait, that's not what I wanted to say. Ah yes bring on the CHog the P38 and any other AC the allies need. they will die just the same.

Sound familure storch. I notice that if storch doesnt have the better plane...he whines just like the rest of us.

SO storch, I re-quote you...give'em the 110, they will just die the same :aok
« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 12:01:54 PM by LtMagee »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2003, 12:09:19 PM »
Help me out here.

A6M2 and A6M3 have the same fighter armament, correct?

M3 has about 190 more HP than the M2 at takeoff, has a "clipped wing" wingspan about a meter shorter than the M2, weighs about 200 pounds more than the M2, has about 10% higher wing loading than the M2, has essentially the same climbrate as the M2 but cruises about 20 mph faster.

Did I miss any major difference there? Is there that great a difference in performance in an AH environment?

Just asking.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!