Author Topic: Clearing a Friendly's 6  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Patches

• Zinc Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« on: December 28, 2003, 06:56:58 PM »
When you get a check six call and see that an ally is above you and in a postion to clear that pesky con off of your tail, what moves should you take?

In my experience, most folks immediately cut back underneath me and continue to do so until it is too late for me to help them, or I get bounced by a higher con who has watched this twisty, turny mess and I must defend myself. This is an example of what NOT to do, in my opinion.

Why? Since I fly a Corsair (think in straight lines), mostly, I cannot follow you well if you split-ess, or turn under me. It causes me to have to reposition for a shot on the enemy, thus extending your exposure to enemy fire.

By extending AWAY from me at about a 45 degree angle you allow me a chance to bounce to con, and by using out-of-plane manuvers while dragging this target fixated fellow AWAY, you enhance your chances for survival.

I am certainly not an expert and am still learning. So, any other opinions on this subject a warmly welcomed.

Thanks  

:)

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 10:34:53 PM »
If you are the lower guy with person on tail and higher person asks you to join.......ask him which way to drag the guy to make it easier for him to bounce and kill the nme

switch around if you are the higher person

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 06:15:45 AM »
ask????  You mean people ASK before they jump in on your fight???? where do you fly?  :)

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 09:10:06 AM »
but remember when you are dragging more then one ...(in my case ussually 6 or more ...)  theres some unspoken rule that you cant go down and riddle them all with lead .. .... :rolleyes: ...
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Sway

• Nickel Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 09:18:28 AM »
Have the guy lose some E, without totally diving to deck.  There are plenty of evasive moves to last you until your altitude is low enough to get help.

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 09:33:43 AM »
I do Mdjoe

Offline seabat

• Copper Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 11:41:23 AM »
Here's what I did.

I was in a p38 and on the six of a bandit low alt.  I got fixated on the kill and even though I knew a p47-11 was diving on me I kept after the kill.  beetle gave me a auto check 6 and a vox six.   I ignored it  and got the kill on the bandit in front of me.   THEN I started going evasive.   beetle came down and tried to clear me.   I considered trying to drag but the p47 was too close and I did not want the 8 - 50's hosing me so I started turning to stay out of the way of the 50's.   The p47 pilot did some great moves to stay with me in the turns.   My turns messed up beetles efforts.

Result, I got killed by a high speed niki.

The point.  Sometimes it boils down to your preception of survival.  Can you drag long enough for the guy trying to help to clear your tail or do you have to try and save yourself by manuvering however you can?   I guess it also boils down to how greedy I was for the kill.

I let myself get fixated on making a kill and negated the efforts of someone trying to help me.  

Beetle, I appreciate your efforts and apoligize for not telling you in the arena.  

Offline Sway

• Nickel Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 12:29:39 PM »
Let me add, thats not a fun situation to be in with a p38 either, due to the planes large size and slow reactions. :cool:

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 01:37:11 PM »
Bring your own six clearing crew!

Bring a wingman!

Fly Rook? Fly GMB!

What was the question?
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 05:20:09 AM »
Seabat! I was in a 109G2 and couldn't quite turn with that P47. I got him in the end but it was too late. And then I got jumped by a P51. In that part of the map, the fields are too close together so that the fights end up over the fields instead of between them. I got too far from our field (about ¾ mile :rolleyes: ) as I tried to save you, and was easy meat. No 6 call from anyone. :mad: :( NP - would rather try to save a friend than preserve a clean score.

The conveyor belt of cherrypickers was rolling at full speed, so I went to a different part of the map (coast) where there was a CV battle going on. Had a much better time, and had a full 75% fuel available.

Offline twigace

• Zinc Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2003, 06:27:17 AM »
help how do i get to play?
:confused:

Offline twigace

• Zinc Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2003, 06:29:55 AM »
help i have logged on an can't find where to start the game at?
:(

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2003, 06:52:28 AM »
Don't bother.  Unless you know the friendly well enough to know they'll drag, wait for them to die to engage.

Most of the time the friendly will wait untill the moment before you get a gunshot, execute a maximum G break turn into you, spoiling your shot, and getting himself killed.

Leaving you with all that E wasted.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2003, 09:11:48 AM »
Originally posted by twigace
help i have logged on an can't find where to start the game at?
:(

if you haven't already, go to the downloads page and download the .exe file.  then after you install, you'll see a splash screen with ... online, offline, H2H, video, film and admin...

you get 2 free weeks, starting when you first go to the online arenas, after that you pay for a subscription or play H2H which is always free.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline seabat

• Copper Member
Clearing a Friendly's 6
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2003, 09:14:21 AM »
Glad you got him Beetle and again thanks for trying.

Innominate, hehe, kinda hard to disagree with you  in view of my post above.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 09:16:43 AM by seabat »