Author Topic: Weapon lethality and Pingtime(ms)  (Read 514 times)

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Weapon lethality and Pingtime(ms)
« on: December 22, 2003, 06:22:57 PM »
Hi,

Im just curious about your experiences concerning how much a lower pingtime can effect to your the weapon lethality?

In h2h side (I know dweep hosts and their Arena Setups) I had experience about this issue. Lower pingtime and it really feels like your weapon bites harder.

Is ti just less lost packets ie. Rubber bullet etc net issue?

What you think?

Offline Heretik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 04:05:51 AM »
I think with a lower ping, more of your bullet strikes will register, making it seem like you do more damage.  Unfortunately, it seems the guy with the better connection fares the worst in the case of a collision.

Offline stiehl

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2003, 11:35:51 PM »
Originally posted by Heretik
I think with a lower ping, more of your bullet strikes will register, making it seem like you do more damage.  Unfortunately, it seems the guy with the better connection fares the worst in the case of a collision.

I agree.  dont like getting rammed, crashing, looking up to see zero damage on the damned HO er

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: Weapon lethality and Pingtime(ms)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 06:45:55 AM »
Originally posted by Xjazz
Hi,

Im just curious about your experiences concerning how much a lower pingtime can effect to your the weapon lethality?

My understanding is that ping time (delay) has no effect........

Your hit on an enemy is first registered on your FE and then sent with your packet to the server. The victim recieves a packet which contains your hit on his AC (amongst any other hits ) these are converted to damage in the victims FE.

Your lethality settings are adjusted when you enter an arena and recieve the arena settings.

After this it is a matter of your FE registering the number and calibre of rounds hitting the enemy and sending the hits.

AH may also send where on the AC your hits have occurred.

Ping time will effect the speed such hits are recieved...and ping time typically varies very little.

What would effect all this is lost packets............lost packets.........or packets out of order (AH may have apacket checker tho) create warping and may create lost hit reports.

Co-incidentally poor ISP connections will result in both increased ping time and lost packets hence the player may associate the effects of one with the effects of the other.
Ludere Vincere

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 02:07:53 PM »
Lately it seems my faster pingtime works against me. I've noticed I'm having to lead planes more now. Takes some getting used to. I usually get a ping of 50-60 on average. Around 80 on a REAL bad night.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Weapon lethality and Pingtime(ms)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2003, 02:49:57 PM »
Originally posted by Tilt
My understanding is that ping time (delay) has no effect........

Your hit on an enemy is first registered on your FE and then sent with your packet to the server. The victim recieves a packet which contains your hit on his AC (amongst any other hits ) these are converted to damage in the victims FE.

Its natural to keep shooting (if possible)  untill some visual damages coming up.

So, high pingtime lead you to over shoot/kill the enemy. His/her wing is allready away but your FE didnt get info yet... So, you keep shooting and weapons can feel a bit weak...

Who have a guts to shoot short swift brust and break off for next con before visual feedback?

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 03:13:15 PM »
I agree. dont like getting rammed, crashing, looking up to see zero damage on the damned HO er

If you colide with someone and he doesn't get any damage it's because there was no collision from his point of view, that means it was you who ramed him.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 09:07:01 AM »
Xjazz, I belive you just hit on the apperent effect. The delayed damage my cause some people to think they have rubber bullets.

Few thing to note.

Hits can not be lost do to bad connect, but they can be delayed.

How much you lead an AC is not effected by connections.

HiTech

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 01:34:25 PM »
As long as your ping time remains near a certain average you will adapt to it, however if the ping time is in flux your gunnery lead will suffer a lot and therefore your hit percentage drop off and youll think its bad gunnery on your part.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 08:44:42 AM »
Tyro48, ping times do not effect how much you have to lead an aircraft.

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 01:31:55 PM »
You pedal right of course we all know that !