Author Topic: War  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
War
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2003, 10:25:31 AM »
Was speculated before JFKs' assasination that LBJ said " Gentlemen, you'll have your War"

In my opinion....our elected officials do not lead this country (USA)

In my opinion the power doesn't rest with the elected official, but the one or ones with the most money and influence.

Money = influence.

For an example.....we can import cheaper steel from abroad, but we can't import drugs from Canada because they are cheaper.

Senior Citizens in this area hop on a Bus to go to Canada to purchase their prescribed drugs because they are much cheaper.
Gives them the option of buying food etc.

Now....why do ya spose that is?  Answer....the drug companies
aren't making as much money...simple.

GE made something in the area of 16billion dollars profit for fiscal year 2002.  Not sure about the exact figure...but it was huge.
Then....they tell their employees they must contribute more from their paycheck to pay for the Medical Benefits.

How much is enough?  How greedy can some get?

Goes for our politicains.  Don't be so naive to think that they're representing you......you don't place anything in their pocket but the opportunity to make more.

Sorry to be so critical.....but have been standing back and watching our so called Democracy operate this way for a long time.

Anywhere else Lobbying would be called bribery...not here :D
- The Flying Circus -

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
War
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2003, 11:01:38 AM »
If you wanna know what I'm really like, just ask people who met me at the con or who I vistited this summer or maybe come to the next con and find out yourself.

maybe, if you can't 'own' your statements personally but must credit them to a online-persona who "isn't the real you", they are aren't worth sharing.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
War
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2003, 11:03:09 AM »
How many hundreds if not thousands of billions do we waste every year in the US on nonproductive programs? I don't have time to look it up just now but  I'm willing to bet this $87 billion pales in comparison. Maybe we can reduce slightly a bit of internal spending for a few months or a year so that we can work towards ensuring security and peace for our future generations?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
War
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2003, 11:23:31 AM »
Maybe we can reduce slightly a bit of internal spending for a few months or a year so that we can work towards ensuring security and peace for our future generations?

that would be great(and well worth the money and sacrifice of domestic programs) if that where the effect we'd get.  more likely though we will just continue to re-enforce the world view of us as a country who tries to force our views, values, and political system on other countries.  making our people prime targets for generations to come.

why do you suppose (out of all the countries to choose from) they hate us so much?  there are plenty of others to hate, those that are closer to them, easier to get to, why travel all the way over here?

after 9/11 we heard reports (and attempts through northern Washington state, proved these accurate) that terrorists could enter this country through Canada.

culturally Canada isn't much different than the US (the 51st state, as it is often called).  religiously it is also very similar. for al the reasons we are told they hate us, it would justify them hating Canada equally.

so why, when they already had the people and explosives in Canada, did they feel the need to risk another border crossing to get them to the US, Canada is a mostly Christian, western civilization, why not just use them there?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
War
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2003, 11:32:15 AM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
why do you suppose (out of all the countries to choose from) they hate us so much?  there are plenty of others to hate, those that are closer to them, easier to get to, why travel all the way over here?

I'm glad you asked. I think I know exactly why we are hated by so many middle easterners. It is the freedom we enjoy. By that I don't mean that they envy us or would deprive us of freedom so as to enslave us. Rather that our freedom to worship God how we see fit including not to worship at all is an affront to their religious fervor and intolerance. They understand their own human susceptiblity to the temptations they see us as having giving ourselves over to and fear that such freedom would destroy their own devoutly religious societies. They hate us because they fear us.

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
War
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2003, 11:45:31 AM »
They hate us because they envy us, our freedom and our wealth.

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
War
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2003, 11:49:21 AM »
why do you laugh?

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
War
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2003, 12:08:08 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Yes of course, the Saudi Arabians envy your wealth ... Sure.

Ahh......you are one of them fast edjumacated ones.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
War
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2003, 12:08:36 PM »
Originally posted by AKcurly
He (LBJ)didn't understand the culture of ...................

It seems to be a Texan thing........  I  guess therefore we wouldn't understand that they dont understand.............
Ludere Vincere

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
War
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2003, 12:32:13 PM »
You are forgetting the dirt poor people on the street.  The last I heard, Bin laden didn't fly any planes into the WTC.

You need to talk to arabs on the street, of course how could you,
you live in Norway........sillie me.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
War
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2003, 12:33:50 PM »
It is the freedom we enjoy.

again, why not Canada?  they have religious freedom? and, at least in the case I mentioned above, the explosives and terrorists where already in Canada before they tried to get them to Seattle.  why didn't they just set them off in Canada?

so logically it's not that they "fear our religious freedom" otherwise they'd take out other, easier, closer, targets in countries that also enjoy religious freedom.

IMO we are a target, because we constantly try to impose our opinion of what is right on their lives.  we think that anyone who doesn't share our values is immoral or just wrong.  so we go over to other countries and (best case scenario) try to fix them.  or(more likely scenario) go over there ostensibly to fix them, but are actually there so a few people can make a lot of cash.

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
War
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2003, 12:43:09 PM »
Good point, when I say we I mean the "West" or what ever else you want to call it.

That means you to GS.

I've had many conversations with arabs lately.  They see the "West" way out in front of them.  Many feel they have no way out.  Like Saudi Arabia, whose freedoms and human rights are a great example for the world.

(IMO we are a target, because we constantly try to impose our opinion of what is right on their lives.)

I don't think so, we could leave them alone and they would still hate us.

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
War
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2003, 12:46:07 PM »
So tell me Monk, was it the poor people of Saudi Arabia that flew those planes, or was it people with German law-degrees and US flight training that had lived in Europe and the US for years funded by wealthy-beyond-belief Saudi businessmen who have never ever been poor and live lives of unequivocal luxury and freedom that wealth brings in the Saudi society?

Your "edjumacation" seems to be wanting.

If you only use 911 as an example, you seem to be wanting.

I understand that you don't like the USA, it's OK.  But you need to get in line, and it's a long line.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
War
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2003, 12:51:43 PM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
IMO we are a target, because we constantly try to impose our opinion of what is right on their lives.  we think that anyone who doesn't share our values is immoral or just wrong.  so we go over to other countries and (best case scenario) try to fix them.  or(more likely scenario) go over there ostensibly to fix them, but are actually there so a few people can make a lot of cash.

I think you have us and them mixed up.

I have already told you why they hate us but you're right, I didn't say why they hate us more than some others that share our  ideology. Well, we do have more physical presence in the middle east than most other western countries. They may also feel we are exploiting their oil resources and most certainly resent our support of Israel.  Our influence extends beyond our mere physical presence there though. Hollywood reaches around the world and many consider it a corrupting influence.

If you would have your freedom there will always be those that hate you for it. We cannot prevent that and I don't think that we can hide from their hate. We can make it very costly for them to act against us though, if we have the resolve.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
War
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2003, 01:00:14 PM »
Why do they then attack the US, and not every western country?  

There have been many Islamic fanatic terrorist attacks throughout the world for decades. Why do you think they have occured only against the US?