Author Topic: How to get a high rank  (Read 27271 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2003, 08:16:30 PM »
Rod it's all good.

I put forth some ideas that I firmly believe in.

If you breed a fighter pilot, you'll have a fighter pilot.

If you don't have the facilities to accomplish that, the game moves away from the jewel that it can be.

Realizing how far the game is moving away..from what is the very best that it can be, finds me looking for my soapbox.

And I found it.

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
How to get a high rank
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2003, 08:21:35 PM »
and you can't deny that the score system works well enough that if you keep yourself 100% gungho and zen to kill as much as possible and never lose a fight or anything at all, you will go up in the ranks.

If more than one person is doing this, you will have some appreciation of how well you're doing against them in that competition.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
How to get a high rank
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2003, 08:58:11 PM »
Originally posted by moot
and you can't deny that the score system works well enough that if you keep yourself 100% gungho and zen to kill as much as possible and never lose a fight or anything at all, you will go up in the ranks.

If more than one person is doing this, you will have some appreciation of how well you're doing against them in that competition.

Moot...

The point is that the system also rewards those that don't have good ACM/SA. It also rewards the Vulch/Camp monkeys. There in, it becomes pointless. From an individual stand point, it does have some small merit in that it will allow you to track your improvement in certain areas. So, yes I can deny that it "works well enough..." :D.

The real problem with ANY scoring system in a game like this is that it can (and will) be manipulated. The only thing that having a high score really shows is that you know how to score :).

BTW, I stand by my earlier statement, pick the dweeb...I can have him ranked in the top 50 inside his 2nd camp.:)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
How to get a high rank
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2003, 09:12:18 PM »
Poops...

As one that spent 6+ years in AW as an Academy trainer, head of informal training and finally head trainer, I respectfully disagree (as a general rule :)). The old adage about leading a horse to water applies. I will state that I do believe that an Academy style training course would improve the game play overall. What I disagree with is the statement that the only people helping newbies are the strat weenies.

BTW, I know that a number of former AW trainers have tried to convince HT that formal training would be a good idea. Unfortunately, he feels that creating a 'staff' would not be a good idea. I understand his logic....I just happen to disagree with it :D.

There is a solution though, create an informal (non-HTC sponsored) Academy. There have been enough folks complaining in the boards about the general lack of ACM skills and combat ettiquette (sorry if I miss spelled that :)) that filling the staff out should be no problem....provided those same people are willing to put their money where their virtual mouths are :D.

BTW Poopster...fergot to stay that just because you agree with Furious doesn't make him correct :D.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 09:15:24 PM by NoBaddy »
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2003, 09:13:47 PM »
There are a few gamey things that have to be cleaned up. But the score system works. It promotes playing the whole game and if you play the whole game with success you will have a good score, cheezy stuff or not.
It no more means your a crap pilot if you have a good score then it means your a good pilot if you have a poor score. There are guys that dont play the whole game and are fantastic sticks, there are guys that play the whole game and are fantastic sticks. The guys that dont play the whole game still seem to like running across a bomber or a jabo strike or a goon once in a while. The score system is in place to encourage that event and it works.

So this is all just whining and chest thumping really. Pyro has rightly decided to use the score system to promote the complete playing of the game, all types of units, all types of activities.
Do so and if your good at them your score will be good. If a bunch of the guys in your squad do it your squad score will be good.
Don't and your score will suck. But post that your score sucks and your a hot stick and your a whiner.

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2003, 10:58:59 PM »
Ok heres the deal.Back In Air Warrior,I was a "Fair" Pilot.I flew the 109 to exclusion.I had fun.Then one month I got tied up in the score thing.I went for top dog and after a month of living on the comp I got it.For one month in AW I was cool.Then I was an instant target for the rest of the time.The fun went away.I realised that making the game a goal was taking away from my fun.If your only goal is to prove some kind of manhood rite in here by score your a total loss as a human being.If you rank more as someone that has fun with there squadies regardless of the outcome yoiu have reached nirvana.Andf I Salute you.
Doc has spoken.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2004, 12:17:46 PM »
instruction?  

what happened to the good ol days where the humiliation of constantly being vultched or getting beat even when you had the advantage was more than enough to get yu to work at it... to review your films in the morning over coffee before work...

what happened to good ol fashioned stuborness and hate?   the best teachers.   finally reversing and killing that "name" player...

if "instruction" is what you rely on to either do toolshed killing or be a real badass knife fighter... then... no matter how much instrution you get.... you will be a toolshed battler till ya get some fire.

lazs

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2004, 01:40:12 PM »
Yep, without the fire in the belly you aren't going anywhere.

Getting killed over and over either makes you stubbern, or makes you try something else.

I took one class after flyin a couple of years. Main benifit was alot of 1 on 1 work with a trainer riding along with each guy and a breakdown after each fight.

Different merges etc.

Main benifit is that for the new guy that might not have the fire, it just might give it to him. Give him a start, something to work on.

I still suck, but I'm stubbern. I still have a screen shot of killin the trainer in the main that held the class.
nopoop

Offline JustJim

• Nickel Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2004, 02:07:25 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
... to review your films in the morning over coffee before work...

your kidding right ?  Dude its a game :lol  with an added :rofl  cause thats just so silly.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2004, 02:17:50 PM »
Jim you've never reviewed a film ?? It's amazing really. Try it one time when you've recorded a film in the fur or a 1 on 1.

You see things that were a haze when you were there. Very instructive.

Really. Try it. You'll be surprised.

That and studying films on reversals.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 02:24:13 PM by nopoop »
nopoop

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2004, 02:35:34 PM »
Watch Leviathn's films and you will begin to understand the "geometry cheat".

Watch Shane's films and you will begin to understand the "aggresive cheat".
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline VAQ

• Copper Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2004, 03:53:31 PM »
A post about "how to get a high rank" by someone with an overall rank of 38th (Tour 47) is interesting.  Credible, I would say.

A thread involving 0.7%* of the player base comprising the top 18%** rank overall (top 13%** fighter) that says rank has no meaning is suspect.

The rank/scoring system is a joke, yet it is what most of us peons are measured against by the same illuminati who insist that rank has no meaning.

We recognize the caste system in dogs because we rank ourselves by the familiar dog system, a ladder arrangement wherein one individual outranks all others, the next outranks all but the first, and so on down the hierarchy.  Thus is rank perceived by the majority of players in Aces High.

Yet the top ranked players in the game always espouse the "rank has no meaning" POV, and see themselves more akin to the feline caste system, which is more like a wheel with a high-ranking individual at the hub and the others arranged around the rim, all reluctantly acknowledging the superiority of the despot but not necessarily measuring themselves against one another.

Yeah, right...

The majority of players in this game regularly measure themselves against one another based purely on rank and time in-game (and number of posts to this BBS).  I was in the TA recently, assisting where I could, BS'ing quite a bit, when the subject of AH Conventions came up.  What did the new players want to know?  If I had met any "big names" at the Cons.  I took that to mean HiTech et al, but no, they wanted to know if any of the top ranked players were there.

*  Percentage based upon 37 of 5200
**Percentage based upon the averaged overall and fighter ranking (Tour 47) of the 37 players who participated in this thread

Offline JustJim

• Nickel Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2004, 04:23:33 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Watch Leviathn's films and you will begin to understand the "geometry cheat".

Watch Shane's films and you will begin to understand the "aggresive cheat".

Watch Jenna Jameson's Films and you will begin to understand the "Wife Cheat".  :eek:

sorry that was uncalled for

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2004, 06:15:53 PM »
Becoming good at fighters in AH is harder than all the rest of the crap put together--i been doin this 2-3 years, and though im getting better since I got a real computer, someone like Shane would kill me 10 outta 10. (mebbe only 9) But the score thing DOES serve to put some worth to all the other stuff in this game that IS easier to learn, thus givin new peeps some positive feedback. (And if new peeps quit, I wont be able to get any kills;)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2004, 09:48:58 PM »
thread involving 0.7%* of the player base comprising the top 18%** rank overall (top 13%** fighter) that says rank has no meaning is suspect.

Ya really need to explain this one... at least to me, please?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve