Author Topic: How to get a high rank  (Read 27285 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Re: Steve is better than Shane, I rest my case.
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2004, 09:48:04 AM »
Anyone can kill and live in P-51D if they fly smart.  I flew it mainly last tour as someone double dawg dared me to, as i had said to him - i think it is the easiest plane in the game.  

So, last tour i flew it smart, kept my E etc. etc. etc. got lots of kills had some fun, didnt die once.  Albeit i didnt fly it as much as i would have liked because of work etc.

Yesterday, first fighter sortie of the tour i decide to go in low in p51 and furball with CV planes.. you can guess the outcome. :D

No shot at Steve, as he is great at what he does. But i have  much respect Shane and his style of play.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2004, 10:20:18 AM »
Tell me thats your face doesnt light up a smile when u count 40 objects destroyed

Oh indeed yes it does.But in my case score isnt even a thought.I wouldnt think "man thats gonna give me bookoo points."  I would more like think.Man I just blew up a ****load of stuff .":)
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
How to get a high rank
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2004, 02:04:38 PM »
Originally posted by DrDea
Score potatos are score potatos.They would find a way to game the scoreing system.They kinda flock together anyway.Me?I'll take a good old 3 minute nail biter and lose and have MUCH more fun than those dweebs.:lol

Exactly.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2004, 10:03:47 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
Here is where I disagree.  The premiss that is always in these types of discussions is to diminish those who do make achievments in performance metrics, on the basis that some choose not to compete.  The common thread (including your quote) is not that low ranks dont indicate a lack of skill, its that high ranks dont indicate skill.  The system works averages, and consistancy.  
[/B]

That's not what I said.  What I said was that rank may indicate skill.  So a high rank might very well reflect a deadly player who is well-rounded in all of the statistics that inform fighter rank.  It might also reflect someone who games the statistics by picking and choosing fighter engagements with the greatest opportunity for maximizing fighter rank.    Naturally, low ranks may or may not indicate a lack of skill as well.  Again, context matters.

Yet it is expected to be believed that high rankers can get away with gamey technics over a months time period consistantly with out acutally having any skill??
[/B]

No, some high rankers employ gamey techniques over a month-long period.  So in a sense, you could argue that they are skilled at gaming the fighter rank category.  However, is this what you truly wish to measure with this statistic?  

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline twigace

• Zinc Member
hey man somebody help me out?
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2004, 05:47:00 AM »
i cannot seem to be able to acess the flying part of this game ?
im new here ,but a very good pilot . lol
anyway im lost here ?  
i got to my start menu ,programs, 4 aces high icons , an nothing works but the film viewer? i've installed everything ?got user id  password  every thing ?     where do u actuall go to start playing this game ?ahhhhhhhhh!
                                     sorry bout that , in desperate need of help,
           twigace
         twig292003@yahoo.com

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2004, 08:04:06 AM »
I really missunderstood this thread... I thought the original poster was making fun of the gamey score potatos... turns out he wasn't?   guess the score makes fun of itself.

I don't know if the high rankers are any good or not... I don't ever know who they are.  I do know that some of the best virtual pilots I have ever seen are ranked pretty low tho.  Everyone knows the good ones.... very few know the high ranked ones.  

lazs

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
How to get a high rank
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2004, 08:48:05 AM »
Razor
OverBKil
crowMAW
AKPanthr
COORS
Nexx
Murdr
AKOwl
Spazzter
SHawk
SlowHand
GooseCH
Swoop
MetaTron
Stang
rthus
FF1
TW9
Letitbe
Busher

Ever hear of any of these guys laz2?  This is the top 20 overall for the last tour.  With the exception of spazzter, I am familer with all these names.  Of these (no surprise) Stang is the highest ranked fighter.  Cant speak for these other guys, but I didnt fly any ju87s or score other dive bombers as attack for facilities, or other gamey stuff like that.  Could you point out the posers in the list for me?

Here were the top 6 fighters for last tour.
kappa
Stang
Fester
Steve
Kosk
Taki
Since the rank system is such a joke, would somebody please point out the names of the slackers in the list that have no business being mentioned among top fighters in the MA...not DA...MA.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 08:53:32 AM by Murdr »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2004, 08:54:00 AM »
overall... heard of swoop but never am around him... killed a few of the other guys but was not memorable.

top fighters...  haven't fought any of em I don't think... got killed by kappa once.   Maybe killed steve or got killed by him not sure... never see those guys.

If those guys are good... I will probly never know... they don't fight with the likes of me or... they fight during euro times.  

lazs

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2004, 09:05:18 AM »
just re-read your post.  Guess its that they dont fight with the likes of you, lol, cuz most of them fly US primetime.  If I had to make a list of pilots who are extremely dangerous when jumped, kappa, fester, and stang would be on alot of peoples list, mabey taki too, but I have not encountered him much.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 09:28:45 AM by Murdr »

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2004, 09:26:05 AM »
tw9 you sould be nicer to newbies.  you didnt tell them that a good ratio of those bombers heading for the strat are out to work on their bomber score, and will tear them up if they even think of attacking them.  Or that the acks spread around the perimeter of the strat will tear them up if they try making straifing runs in a ju87.  
Or about the hastle gv gooning a base.  You get there, friendlies all died, then you die.  Drive all that way, ack pops up and kills you, or tank is sitting in ambush.  Drive all that way again, someone elses troops take the map room first.
Oh, and dont forget what those attack jabo guys at the strat will do to your c47 when you go to resupply.
Like I said, tricks will only get you so far, and the arena will often not cooperate with what you want to do.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2004, 09:46:53 AM »
Since the rank system is such a joke, would somebody please point out the names of the slackers in the list that have no business being mentioned among top fighters in the MA...not DA...MA.

Why stop at the top 6?  Let's look at the top 20 like you did with overall rank.

kappa
Stang
Fester
Steve
Kosk (who?)
Taki
Urchin01
WinGZero
succubus (who?)
Wilbuz
MoRphEuS (who?)
Gryffin
MankindV (who?)
Razor
COORS
crowMAW
Swoop
KillnU
Souless
Tarmac

Some of these guys are excellent sticks.  Others I have no idea who they are whatsoever.  And some have reputations for flying only with major advantages in numbers, alt, or speed.  Why not ask some of them if they feel that that fighter rank provides an accurate metric for comparing them to, say, WldThing?  Or Honch?

One of your top five fighters scored 1/5th of his kills in an F4U-1C.  Want to wager what he was doing with it?

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2004, 04:23:07 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Why stop at the top 6?  Let's look at the top 20 like you did with overall rank.

Some of these guys are excellent sticks.  Others I have no idea who they are whatsoever.  And some have reputations for flying only with major advantages in numbers, alt, or speed.  Why not ask some of them if they feel that that fighter rank provides an accurate metric for comparing them to, say, WldThing?  Or Honch?

One of your top five fighters scored 1/5th of his kills in an F4U-1C.  Want to wager what he was doing with it?

-- Todd/Leviathn

As far as your top five pilot in the chog, it appears he would have done better without it.  His k/d in the chog is 22% lower than in his main ride.  My own chog stats for last tour are nearly identical, which makes me question how much padding could have came from it.  He appears to have been the best in his ride for that tour, regardless of whether you respect the style required for it.  I dont see a need to put a question mark by his name.  I know of morpheus, so I would remove that one too.  I dont know mankindv, but it looks like his spitv is pretty good.

Again, MA requires a wider variety of skills than DA.  I have no doubt that if WT or you set out for a top fighter spot, the competition would only be from a select few individuals.  What may disturb some is that a few of those individuals may be HighEStayOutofTrouble style players, but in the MA it is no less valid than ComeNearMeWithAnyAdvantageand YouWillStillDie.  The very best are masters of both.  So there is really no need to ask these guys how the rank system compairs them with name pilots, because everyone realizes where the name pilots would rank if they chose to.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2004, 05:16:46 PM »
If the 1/5th of total kill thing in a Chog was me, if you meant after i helped beat down the defensive cap did i vulch, heck yea i did.  on the other hand, i did have near half my kills in a 38, which is typically a nice fat target, so i dont mind a 1/5th.  of course, it may not have been me:)   the numbers worked out tho.
~S~
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 05:25:01 PM by killnu »
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2004, 07:56:59 PM »
As far as your top five pilot in the chog, it appears he would have done better without it.
[/B]

If we can guess that this person just flew the F4U-1C from carriers (which may be reasonable given that a land-based aircraft was his usual ride of choice), and that he could pick and choose when to take off from carriers, then things begin to make more sense.  It's not the K/D that you need to look at here, but rather the K/H.  Few planes kill faster in a vulching environment than the F4U-1C.  This player flies the 190D9 for survival -- K/D, K/S, and points -- and the F4U-1C is for K/H.  Pair them together and you've got a high ranking.  Skill?  Certainly a possibility, but I can't say without knowing how he or she actually flies.

I dont see a need to put a question mark by his name.  I know of morpheus, so I would remove that one too.  I dont know mankindv, but it looks like his spitv is pretty good.
[/B]

The question marks are for people I've never heard of before.  It doesn't mean that I find them disagreeable or unworthy, just that I don't know anything about them.

So there is really no need to ask these guys how the rank system compairs them with name pilots, because everyone realizes where the name pilots would rank if they chose to.

That's just it... I don't think the average player understands the shortcomings of rank in this regard.  If the ranking system does not rank based purely on skill, then it is not an accurate measure of skill.  If some of those who can fly both conservatively and aggressively (and let's face it, most who fly aggressively could probably fly conservatively with ease) choose not to fly for fighter rank, then what does that say about its accuracy?

-- Todd/Leviathn
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 08:04:53 PM by Dead Man Flying »

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2004, 07:57:36 PM »
Originally posted by killnu
If the 1/5th of total kill thing in a Chog was me, if you meant after i helped beat down the defensive cap did i vulch, heck yea i did.  on the other hand, i did have near half my kills in a 38, which is typically a nice fat target, so i dont mind a 1/5th.  of course, it may not have been me:)   the numbers worked out tho.
~S~

Nah, I was referring to another.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn