Author Topic: Interesting story  (Read 163 times)

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
Interesting story
« on: January 01, 2004, 03:23:25 AM »
I'm sure you've all seen the picture of the Corsair on fire on a carrier deck? I know a few here have. Well, here's the story behind it. Al Price, the leader of the second squadron and who was destined to land after Lt. Sheard, is my grandfather.

13 June 1951 VMF-323, led by Marine WW II Ace Skipper Charlie Mike Kunz, flew from Itami, Japan to the USS Sicily, CVE-118 off the East coast of Japan. Navy WW II Ace, Capt John S. 'Jimmy' Thach was driving the boat doing his 'Thach Weave' but he couldn't escape the Death Rattlers! We got aboard in our own inimitable way. When 1stLt Burch Sheard's plane hit the deck the cap on his belly fuel tank popped off and the fuel splashed on the hot engine exhaust sparking the flash blaze.  Burch exited the cockpit smartly and nimbly fell and broke his arm. There is an exact step procedure getting in and out of a Corsair, a misplaced foot can stymie you.
       The Navy Flight Deck crew didn't want their deck damaged so the Rescue group went to work putting the fire out.  'Twasn't hard, the blaze was momentary like a flak burst. They did cart Burch off to Sick Bay.
       When we finished practicing our wave off technique and all 24 Bent Wings were aboard, the Sicily was almost surfing in the shore breakers. Captain Thach met with the squadron pilots in the Ready Room and told us, " Gentlemen, we shall have to endeavor to come aboard much more expeditiously!" I don't know why he was eyeballing me?
       Anecdote: I had just returned to K-46 near Hoengsoeng from a mission and they told me I had to go again. We launched on an emergency CAS mission to support our Grunts, some place around Inje. It was just before sunset and getting dark, I was on Al Price's wing when we made a firing run ... one of those red golf balls went up near my nose and Al said 'Bud they're shooting at you.' I replied, 'They never give enough lead, they're shooting at you!' Scared 'im.
       Bud Yount Semper Snakes