Author Topic: New Ship and Field gunnery  (Read 353 times)

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
New Ship and Field gunnery
« on: May 23, 2001, 11:31:00 AM »
New gunnery modes have been added for the guns with range sighting. Default keys are key "Q" for direct mode, key "W" for land mode and key "E" for sea mode. These keys will have to be mapped using the Key Mapping utility.
Direct mode - player controls gun completely.
Land mode - gun will shoot to the selected point regardless of the ship's movement.
Sea mode - gun will shoot to a point relative to the movement of your ship.

Could someone explain that to me?? Does this mean that when you sight an object that the lead will be pre-calculated by the site?? Sounds like EZ-mode to me.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2001, 11:53:00 AM »
I recommend we wait and see how it is implemented before we worry about it too much.  

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
I think by "selected point" they mean a point that you click on the map to select range and bearing.  You can't click on a hangar in your FE and have the gun compute the range and bearing.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2001, 01:44:00 PM »
Here's what it means:

Hit "Q" and you control the gun, just like now. Hit "W" and the gun will automatically fire on a point you select regardless of what the ship is doing. So if you clicked on the map to fire on A14, the gun will track A14 until it gets out of range. Hit "E" and it fires on a fixed bearing, NOT a fixed target. Kinda like manning the panzer's gun and only firing at 9 o'clock while it keeps moving forward. Sounds useless to me so I'll probably map them to the F13, F14, and F15 keys.  

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von
Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

[This message has been edited by flakbait (edited 05-23-2001).]

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2001, 01:54:00 PM »
I'm curious about this as well. I doubt that AH will emulate the real world gun accuracy. That would enrage the selective realism crowd. I also wonder if there will be blast damage modeling done on all bombs / shells.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Vosper

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
Land and Sea modes sound like a ballistic computer that maintains aim on a fixed point/bearing/range - whoever was controlling the fleet would be free to maneuver whilst the gunners concentrated on their targets without losing their targeting solutions.  

Both modes were well within WWII fire control abilities.  I can see these being of great use in AH naval combat.  (Sea mode would still need gunners to adjust based on enemy fleet maneuvers though).

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Vosper (edited 05-23-2001).]

Hans

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2001, 04:25:00 AM »
How I look at it is:

1.  Manual....what we already have

2.  Land mode.  You move your joystick or click on the map and you get range/bearing numbers.  The gun turret will auto-lock onto those coordinates.  As the ship moves, the guns stay locked onto that spot on the ground and will elevate and turn by themselves to stay on target.  You can put salvo after salvo into the same crater over and over all day long.

Moving the joystick probably allows the gunner to adjust the aim point left/right and further/closer from the ship.  Your going to need a second player to spot for you though, since most of the time, particularily on the inland sea map you can't see your target.

3.  In this mode only bearing is automatic.  Your ship can turn under you and you won't have to slew the turret around to stay on target.  If the aim point is 12 miles northwest of your ship, it stays 12 miles northwest of your ship.  Of course, your ship is moving at 30mph, and so is the aim point.

This is nearly the same as what we have now, but the difference comes into play when the ship turns.  When the guns are pointing west, and your ship heads north, then west, then south during a U-turn, the turrets are STILL pointing west.

You won't have to fight to maintain your aim when your captain is manuevering the fleet like mad.

Hans.