Author Topic: Quick review  (Read 129 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Quick review
« on: September 29, 1999, 11:12:00 AM »
I know its a raw beta but it is good enough to make some observations:

The flight model seems good.  I had hoped for a better sense of tri-axial inertia out of the gate.  I just need more time.

Terrain layout is "interesting".  I dont really like the terrain but that will probably change.

The chess format is an odd feature.  I cant decide whether I care for it or not.

I hope the stall sound gets replaced by a more believable "aluminum structure under stress" sound!

The tracers are the best Ive seen yet but the guns tracer smoke seems a little off to me (Also, seeing the smoke trail from ack going up from ground looks strange, odd.)

The guns sounds are awesome but I dont remember hearing the engine pitch change with speed (I know, its a beta).

The one kill credited to me was a snapshot on a p51.  I saw the hit graphics and thought they dissipated too fast, almost instantly.  I need more time obviously but suspect this will change (with everything else) in due
course.

The aircraft artwork is extremely nice.  I see the EAW influence and that pleases me deeply.  I enjoyed going OTR and popping up in the middle of a B17 OTR as well.  As I flew through the parked 17, all its innards passed me by...nice touch on the interior.

The view system demonstrates a lot of planning and thought.  Very, very nice.  Maybe even the best yet developed for a flight sim.  Again, EAW pops into my mind (the zoom view in the cockpit is a superb feature).  Lacking was my ability to locate the 45 degree views in DM snap (mell found the 45 view fwd up but thats it).  I really need these 45 views so if you guys know where they are (or Im just short) please do tell    

I noticed when in any auxiliary view, I lost ability to engage/disengage wep (other functions as well?)

When I got my first kill the buffer said "dodo #1 killed by Yeager #1"...Let me say that I dont want to be "Yeager #1"....and I dont want to see "Yeager #2, #3 or #4"
I dont care for this naming convention and I hope it changes.

Overall, a truly excellent, most awesome effort given the time involved.  I give AcesHigh beta a very critical A- grade.

I look forward to spending tons more trying to get "capable" with AH and watching the youngster grow.

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 09-29-1999).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Ouch

• Copper Member
Quick review
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 1999, 11:20:00 AM »
Yeager #1 means (IIRC) YOUR first flight of the night.  (or first life or something like that).

Names are (again IIRC) going to be unique.  so if your Yeag, noone could be "  Yeag" or " Yeag ".  I don't remember if "_" is also not considered in the uniqueness of the name (ie I don't know if "ouch" and "ouch__" are both alowed.)

Ouch out

-blk--

Quick review
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 1999, 12:12:00 PM »
  I thought that the # was the number of kills you had for that sortie.  And the only messages I've seen read "Kill of blk    by HiTech #96" or somesuch  .  They don't list the number of kills for the deceased...

blk