Author Topic: 3 countries? Country scores?  (Read 802 times)

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
3 countries? Country scores?
« on: March 27, 2000, 02:21:00 PM »
Hi all,

I think that it is the right time to talk about it, because the new terrain is in development, and the least thing I want to see in it is 3 countries again.

The reason for adding 3rd country is obvious, but in practise that part of game design never did worked as planed: as for now it is often when 2 stronger countries join against the one which has the smallest number of pilots. So the 3rd country does not work, and when something work bad or not work at all it shall be removed, is not it?

I understand that if one day they in HTC will decide to remove 3rd county it will be big question: "Which one?", and if bishops will be removed I will have a big problem which of the sides to join... But better to take it than to fly with no hope for a victory only due to sheer numbers.

4th country, may be? We still have some chess pieces, you know   Well, country of pawns is little bit offensive, and country of kings is too offensive for all other countires, but why not country of queens?  

Also, at least while scenarios is not implemented, why not to make country scores for a main arena too? I became tired of saying wtg to capturing field or even to reset knowing that after the reset everithing will start again. I heard many time "Do not defend this field, let they reset it". I do not like it, but understand it -- it is like running on circles, after end of one you are always in the same point. If it was some stats, for example, on number of fields captures by each side and number of reset made by each side we can have coutries competion and that may unite country pilots and add some purpose.

Just my opinion.

Fariz,  www.warriormage.com

Sn1p3r

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2000, 02:26:00 PM »
I would like to see allies vs. axis  .. or at least an arena where that is all you have and the allies can only fly allied planes .. axis only axis planes.

-Sn1p3r

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2000, 02:35:00 PM »
Well then Knitland plays as Axis...after all 50% knits are JG-2!!! (and more to come!     )

------------------
Ram, out

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 03-27-2000).]

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2000, 03:09:00 PM »
2 country battle would be cool to try.

why has no online sim company used 2 country setup in main arena?

maybe they did a long time ago?

maybe the fighting became concentrated in one spot?

where is the logic?

chess is a 2 player er team game
so is checkers.

why has chess never evolved into a more dynamic 3 player game?

I dont mind it being three countries but just am curious why it is 3 instead of 2 or 4

------------------
CitabriAirbatiC

"There Is No Spoon"
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2000, 03:12:00 PM »
just thought of somthing...

have the reset change to...

A new terrain!! novalogic style  
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Wraith

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2000, 05:12:00 PM »
Make it HISTORICAL maps then.

Remember SECRET WEAPONS OF THE LUFTWAFFE?

Thats a DAMN good map! Full with factories, airfields and the works.

Remember ACES OF THE PACIFIC? The map they had there ROCKED!

(both maps have the same are size as the current MAIN ARENA in AH!).

My suggestion: Make Pacific & European theaters.

The Pacific includes the Easternmost part of China (for the Flying Tigers!) on the WEST side of the map, Northern Australia on the South part of the map, Wake Island on the EAST side of the map and Southern Japan on the Northern part of the map. (Don't you love it when everything gets reversed?   )

We would have fields like Henderson Field, Aircraft Carriers (for US and Japanese) and the infamous Zero strips that were positioned all over the pacific...! Add ships for invasions (can I drive a landing craft instead of a Goon? or both?   )
For strat. targets (aka, the factories and cities in the current AH), you could have supply convoys (both sides) and factories to cripple their ammo,troops and gas production, army bases,cities and airfields (same as AH now). Thing is, it would be cooler if you could capture facilities by putting your troops in them, just like airfields.

In Europe you would have Northern Africa on the south part of the map, Southern Norway on the Nort side of the map, Ireland on the West part of the map and Western Russia on the East side of the Map. Oil fields for oil, Factories for ammo, train stations (to increase the re-build time in fields and stuff), cities, airfields, etc.

I will submit the maps of this 2 theaters in 6 hours, I gotta scan them and put em on the web =).

Comments?
-\/\/R/-\IT|-|

"The only two things that fall from the sky is manna from heaven, and your plane."

CANNON

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2000, 05:15:00 PM »
 The mixed medaphore gives me a headake. How about clubs, spades,hearts,dimonds.

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2000, 05:37:00 PM »
two countrys works for me, but dont limit the planes i can fly, it does not matter now what country you fly for, you can take any plane, dont change that.

add a country, well yes there will still be problems, that stuff will never change, but it could be interesting to see how it worked.

but as it stands, or if you change it, i will still hold the record for been killed more times then anybody else, god must love me, he keeps sending back to fight some more.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2000, 06:00:00 PM »
How about Knights and Black Knights?    Actually I can see both positive and negative sides to having 3 countries vs 2.  With 3, you have the opportunity for more strategy and ever changing battle areas.  With 2 countries, you may solve the "gangbang" issues to a point, BUT all battles will generally take place in the same area and strategy will be much more predictable than with 3 countries.  My suggestion is: Have 3 (or 4) countries on a bigger map, but even though all countries will start with the same number of bases, make each country a little bit different.  (As it is now, on reset rotate countries position on the map.)  For example, make one country on an island in the center of the map, or perhaps have a winding river with bases on both sides.  (Equal numbers of them of course.)  Whatever you do, don't make the map completely symetrical, as long as both sides have an equal number of bases and the same relative density of them, it should work fine.
For example, you could have a forward base deeper into enemy territory than the rest of your bases.  (Of course the enemy would have it's own forward base in another area of your country.  Naturally these bases would be heavily contested, and also very useful for mounting quick strikes into a country.

Ok, I've rambled on enough.  Besides, I'm sure Superfly has come up with something much better than I can think of.

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS
(Eagerly awaiting next version.   )