Author Topic: WWII Carrier Classic "Fighting Lady" Premiers at Zeno's Drive-In  (Read 215 times)

Offline zeno303

• Copper Member
      • http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/
Hello All --

You are cordially invited to drop by Zeno's Warbird Video Drive-In (http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com) and catch our latest free online feature, the action packed (and I don't say that lightly) World War II carrier classic, "The Fighting Lady."

The Fighting Lady follows the fictionalized career of an Essex Class aircraft carrier from the Marcus Islands campaign, through Tinian, the air assault on Truk, the "Mariana's Turkey Shoot" and much more. But don't let the term "fictionalized" mislead you. All of the footage shown in this fascinating composite documentary is real -- shot by combat cameramen on board ships and in the air, showing actual Navy and Marine pilots, officers, and crewmen up close and personal.

In fact, "The Fighting Lady was the popular nickname for the fighting Yorktowns, CV-5 & CV-10. You'll see dramatic full color action featuring Hellcats, Hell Divers, and Corsairs on deck and in the air, including exciting dive bombing, anti-aircraft, and gun camera footage and some amazing walkaway crash landings. And there's a fascinating tour below decks too. Many of the scenes shown in this film have been excerpted and shown in countless documentaries since the War, but this is the original. Most memorably, you'll see the real officers and enlisted men of the Fighting Lady at work and at rest -- and in some cases, giving their lives. Powerfully narrated by Robert Taylor

If you haven't stopped by Zeno's Drive-In before, we also feature 1942-45 vintage WWII Army & Navy films on how to fly the F4U, F6F, P-38, P-39, P-40, P-47, P-51, P-61, TBF/TBM, B-17, B-24, B-25, A-20, A-26, B-26, B-29, and more.We just added the SNJ/AT-6 "Harvard" trainer too.That's over 12 hours of rockin' props for free viewing over the internet. See detailed charts, diagrams, and interior photos from original WWII pilot's manuals too.

Finally, our "Control Tower" page has the largest collection of World War II Aviation links on the 'net

So drop your flaps & drop in!

That's http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com

Zeno

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
WWII Carrier Classic "Fighting Lady" Premiers at Zeno's Drive-In
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 08:59:34 PM »
According to Gregory Boyingtons auto-biography, you can see Maj.Boyington in "Fighting Lady".  He was a POW hiding in a bomb crater during an F6F strafing run.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 10:22:52 AM »
I got my copy of the VHS version of this film at the USS Yorktown Gift Shop in Charleston, South Carolina.  Excellent video, and my copy has a follow-up piece about what became of the individuals shown in the film, including a brief history of how the Yorktown was saved by its captain and set up in Charleston as a museum ship.

The movie is pretty cool, well worth a trip the store to rent, definitely worth a trip to Zeno's to watch for free, and a very good excuse to go to Charleston to see the Yorktown.

Go to Charleson, visit the USS Yorktown!  Take the family!

USS Yorktown Web Site

Incidentally, the VHS video is in better image resolution than the screen shot above.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 10:25:45 AM by gofaster »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 10:46:54 AM »
By the way, you can order the VHS tape direct from the USS Yorktown's gift shop through their website, along with scale models, hats, t-shirts, and such.

Offline zeno303

• Copper Member
      • http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 11:57:26 AM »
The picture above was a poor attempt at at being arty using a Photoshop paint filter to make the screen shot look like a painting.  After your critique,  I just redid it in an effort to make it look even more like a painting. ;-)

The quality of the digital video on the Fighting Lady CD I offer in my online store  is well, digital video and a much, much  better reproduction of the actual film than my artwork.

Regards,

Zeno
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 12:56:42 PM by zeno303 »