Author Topic: Suggestion on Landing gears(plus, the Fw190D-9 wheels..)  (Read 474 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Suggestion on Landing gears(plus, the Fw190D-9 wheels..)
« on: January 14, 2004, 10:54:40 PM »
People have already mentioned(or did they? ;) ) that the Fw190D-9 landing gears are too short.

Currently, we can see that the landing gears are too short on the Fw190D-9, and the wheel cover doors are actually being dragged during the takeoff run.

At first, I thought the wheel covers were either too big, or too long. But then, I saw the Fw190D-9 portrayed in the plane selection hangar, had the correct length of landing gears, but the wheels were about half buried underground.

Intrigued by this, I watched closely how the landing gear and the wheels were working with the 190A and the 190D(they both have landing gears too 'short')

To my surprise, as the plane lifted up, the landing gears got 'longer'! :eek:

I instantly understood what this meant: the 3D polygons forming the wheels, were attached to the landing gear struts, but albeit "loosely". By some internal coding, it seems the polygons portraying the wheels, are always supposed to "above" the terrain.

I think this means, the landing gears are portrayed correctly in the 190s, but the plane is "nosed up" incorrectly. What happens, is the pitch of the plane is too low, so the wheels are "pushed up" as the plane rests upon the wheel cover doors, not the wheels.

Now that part, I have no doubt, that the creators already know of, and it would be fixed.

But an interesting thing was observed: while the Fw190s, are clearly too "low in pitch" while on the ground, as the plane lifted up the wheels "fell downwards" to their correct positions, giving out the correct landing gear form.

Surprisingly, this effect, gave out the illusion that the shock-absorbers were visually working in the landing gears!! :D :D

It was an accident no doubt, that such an illusion happened, but while watching the plane closely in takeoffs, it gave out that great feeling of immersion. I could see the weight of the plane working on the landing gears!

I don't have any experience working near real planes, but I do see from time to time in video footages, that even the WW2 planes, show the effect of the plane's weight upon the landing gears. As the plane lifts up the gears sort of 'extend' ever so slightly, indicating the weight pushing down on the wheels are gone, and the plane, is not some empty, weightless object on the ground. When the plane touches down, you can see it momentarily "sinking" in a light bounce, showing that the weight of the plane has been absorbed by the landing gears.

I quickly observed if this was happening to other planes as well - nope, it does not. As the plane lifts, the landing gears is still solid and unchanged.

So, a suggestion: why not use this accidental by-product to the game's advantage? The wheels should be attached firmly to the landing gear struts, but can't the same phenomenon working currently in the Fw190s, be utilized to show the weight of the plane on the ground?

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
Suggestion on Landing gears(plus, the Fw190D-9 wheels..)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »
Kweassa I wanna say the shocks are modeled.  When in the early stages and folks were having so much problems with the Spit I went offline to see what was up.

I'd switch to my outside view as I did my takeoffs to see how the plane was reacting and causing that deadly left turn crashing sequence.  During all this I noticed as weight was shifted from the left to the right the shocks were actually compressing and decompressing depending on the side that was loaded.  So I don't think it was an illusion unless they've unmodeled the shocks since that particular beta version.

Take a look offline and see if it's still doing it.  I'm sure you'll be glad to find that they are infact modeled.