Author Topic: nightmare for a rook...  (Read 6300 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2004, 08:44:26 AM »
The fields need to be closer together and the fuel should never go below 50%..  your story points out why.

lazs

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2004, 09:03:10 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
The fields need to be closer together and the fuel should never go below 50%..  your story points out why.

lazs

I agree.  I think field proximity is one reason I like FesterMA map so much.  Its a great map for Spitfire Vs, FM2s, Hurricanes, 109Fs and G2s and even P-40Es to fly around on.  Long distances at 25% gas at a frontline base simply means that there will be a barrel-full of P51Ds up in the air, or a flight of B-17s and A-20s on an NOE raid counterattack to pork the fuel at the other bases.

Offline Joker312

• Nickel Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2004, 09:27:18 AM »
I think Steve should be barred from ever flying with a wingman who has a clue and when he sees me he should saddle up right on my 12 till I blast him from the sky:)
Joker
80th FS "Headhunters"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG

Offline dfl8rms

• Copper Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2004, 12:06:58 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
Wow Forhim, you've outscored the rooks 72-64, at least you're in the lead. Let me guess, you only die to rooks when they have huge number and alt advantages right?  Well other than sundays, rook numbers are about equal to everyone else's; with each team taking it's turn in the bucket.  Ohhh, I know, you only die to rooks on sunday nights!

Thanks for checking on my stats.  It is good to know that "I'm in the lead".  I never made an assertion of how good I am nor did I make a comment about RJOs.  I was just replying that it is nice to find a fighter or two that is willing to fight one on one or one on two (to separate themselves from the "herd").  And before you say it, the DA is a good place to play if you like fighting the same person over and over.  I prefer to fly how I want to and when I want to.  I am or was not trying to imply  that you change your method of flying.  I was just pointing out the nice fights that I had last night that allowed me to remember why I first joined this game.  The game evolves and changes with each person who joins or leaves.

As for my deaths and flying style, I won't comment as that will only provide more fuel for your witty comments.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 12:10:39 PM by dfl8rms »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2004, 01:13:54 PM »
yep... letting fuel go to, but never below 25% simply makes for even more timid pee 51's in the game.

lazs

Offline Reaper5

• Zinc Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2004, 02:02:53 PM »
Whats the deal with the rook bashing?  Are they winning?

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2004, 02:12:01 PM »
Well, finding a decent fight was a chore last evening. I decided to fly the P-40E and F4F-4 for the balance of the tour... Cruising around last night in the P-40 was...boring. For the most part, all I saw was high Mustangs who wouldn't even engage a lone Kittyhawk flying at 10k over a 4k-5k landscape.... Anytime I managed to get near one, they'd high-tail it like their bellybutton was on fire and their hair was catchin'.

I finally had an opportunity when one pilot flew a Dora in on the deck and I was able to chase him down. He came back with altitude and despite making an effort to avoid my lower P-40, I beat him up again... But, alas, a fast mover La-7 and a Tiffy showed up and finished the speedy 190. I give him credit though, he at least came to fight and only bugged out when badly out-numbered. But, he was the only one.

There wasn't even a good CV battle to join.

So, after about an hour of watching guys run away, or refuse to engage, even when I deliberately gave them every chance and advantage, ... I logged.

So, who was the enemy? Knits....

Every side has their share of high flying timid pilots. The problem as I see it is that the Pizza map encourages this behavior more than most because the majority of fields at 4k or higher and a long way apart. So, either you have to go up there and meet them, or you find yourself bored senseless.

Maybe tonight will be different....

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2004, 02:14:33 PM »
Got two to come out of the herd tonight

This is an implication that somehow rooks fly differently than any other country. I'm disputing that in this thread.
My comment on your numbers wasn't a comment on your ability really.  More of a point that if rooks flew around in herds, you'd probably not have a K/D of better than 1, unless you are quite skillful indeed.

I am or was not trying to imply that you change your method of flying.

Huh?  My method of flying is simple.  I head to the biggest enemy darbar that is as closest as  possible to a friendly base. FWIW, I often switch sides on sunday nights and hunt rooks, else I skip flying altogether mostly.  RJO was a clever way to give the rooks a numerical advantage for a brief time when rooks were constantly outnumbered.  Now that the sides are more close to even, I think RJO has outlived its original intended use.
I can see why strat people would love RJO, but rooks that are looking for a fight really don't enjoy it much at all..... the steamroller mentality is not fun for all rooks.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2004, 02:24:04 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
It was probably me.  I tend to be the first guy into battle, hence I'm alone.  Then after I've smacked a few noggins and struck up a one-man battle front, the reserves come in.

Seems the same way with me,  i dont whine about it though as some might,  there is sheer love for getting ganged and pushing my SA to the limits.  If i make it out i make it out,  if i dont... I probebly will next flight :D

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2004, 02:26:48 PM »
Yeah, I may have to put the Yak9T away until this map is over.  I'll have to shop for a high-alt speed burner that can fly for awhile on 25% fuel.

Oh, look what I found.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2004, 02:40:45 PM »
I won't expound upon the validity or lack thereof of your original post. But, I will say this. Until you've spent a camp on Rooks fighting the other two, your opinion is entirely subjective. You tend to notice those higher red cons alot more than the higher green ones . Gaining optimum altitude in a plane that is suited to Hit and Run tactics from alt is just a simple matter of flying a plane the way it was meant to be flown. Taking a plane out of it's designed context and using any success or failure as a phallic measuring tool is rediculous. All countries have pilots who conscientiously only fly their planes the way they are supposed to be flown. Rooks do not have a monopoly on this.

Saying Rooks have more P51 and 190 pilots that fly high and only engage selectively isn't a deficiency in testosterone, it is simply flying intelligently in a manner that suits ones aircraft.

If flying a plane low, slow, and perpetually engaging with the disadvantage in defiance of good prudence and logic is a measure of ones worth in AH, it must also be a measure of ones stupidity. It is only a fool that chooses an aircraft to fly, deliberately flies it in a way totally ill-suited to it's performance characteristics, engages willy-nilly at a disadvantage, then cries about the obvious negative outcome that should have been a foregone conclusion to any intelligent thinking person.

All your post says to me is.... Waaaaaaaa.... Rooks have the patience and discipline to fly smarter than we do

Zazen
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 03:17:00 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2004, 02:57:00 PM »
>>Yeah, I may have to put the Yak9T away until this map is over. I'll have to shop for a high-alt speed burner that can fly for awhile on 25% fuel. <<

I kind of like the yak on the pizza map. The spit seems way too slow, but I may be chosing the wrong fronts. Monday night, the closest I got to an enemy in 3 missions was 800 yards
:(

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2004, 03:09:45 PM »
Originally posted by TweetyBird
>>Yeah, I may have to put the Yak9T away until this map is over. I'll have to shop for a high-alt speed burner that can fly for awhile on 25% fuel. <<

I kind of like the yak on the pizza map. The spit seems way too slow, but I may be chosing the wrong fronts. Monday night, the closest I got to an enemy in 3 missions was 800 yards
:(

The Yak9T doesn't like it above 15k it seems, and with the canyons the deck is at 10k at most airbases.  That might also explain why there are so many Mustangs flying around.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2004, 03:34:43 PM »
if ya move fields closer together, what makes ya think they wont up a field back to come in at 20k anyways?
~S~
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
nightmare for a rook...
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2004, 04:09:05 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
All your post says to me is.... Waaaaaaaa.... Rooks have the patience and discipline to fly smarter than we do

Zazen

Or time to just fly around, spend forever grabbing alt instead of fighting.