Author Topic: Ricers at play  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Ricers at play
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2004, 02:53:42 AM »
BMW Z3 is fast? News to me. It's crap compared to its roadster stablemates. Give me the Vauxhall VX220 Turbo any day of the week. Better car and its faster.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Ricers at play
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2004, 08:37:51 AM »
Dowding...is fast.....very quik outta the hole.  Just ask the yellow

Mustang 5.0 driver  (good friend) how quick.  He looked nice in my left side rear view mirror .  :D
- The Flying Circus -

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Ricers at play
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »
funked... I don't run into 10 sec ricers driving on the freeway on trips... they really don't exist in that environment......  You don't see these trailer queens taking 500 mile trips through the mountains ... and if they did... the tires and gearing they use for their 10 sec runs would make them meat on the twisty uphills...but...

If you want me to race one you will have to give me a week or so.  My driveline is strong enough...  powereing up to 900-1200 hp is not difficult.   but...  real world.... how many drag racers do you see on twisty uphill roads to the coast or the mountains?  

I can run 12's now and drive to New york if I want to.  I can run tens or 9's and.... every time I fire it up I will be pulling thepin on a grenade.

Not saying I can't be beat by ricers... just saying they can't compete in any real sense.

My car and most big blocks that put out 400-600 hp is very docile..  they will run easy (if noisy) 12 sec runs on street tires through the mufflers and still make 500 mile weekends to grannies in the mountains.

oh... I got a new power steering pump with a more less boost... just for you.

lazs

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Ricers at play
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2004, 08:41:43 AM »
Still partial to the old 60s' muscle cars.  First new car I bought was a 1969 Road Runner.  383 cu.in 335 HP.

with a little work a small cam....dual quad intake, and 4:33 rear end, Hedman headers.  Used AFB C series Carbs.  Nuttin' but nuttin beat my Vitamin C Orange Road Runner outta the Hole!

Oh forgot the dual point distributor ignition system !
- The Flying Circus -

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Ricers at play
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2004, 08:46:35 AM »
hajo... modern parts can double the hp that was available back when you had that roadrunner...  6 speeds and alloy drivelines make them allmost unbreakable... you would be shocked at what a modernized roadrunner would power and handle like.    tires alone are night and day from then....

lazs

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Ricers at play
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2004, 09:39:51 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding
BMW Z3 is fast? News to me. It's crap compared to its roadster stablemates. Give me the Vauxhall VX220 Turbo any day of the week. Better car and its faster.

Depends on the modle Z3.  The very first ones were dogs - basically a BMW Miata... but heavier.

The last mutation, the S54 M Roadsters, looked the same but sported 315HP 6 bangers.

The M Roadsters and M Coupes were actually faster than the E46 M3's.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
Ricers at play
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2004, 10:10:13 AM »
The M roadsters are not really what I'm talking about - they don't support the argument that if you are going to spend lots of money on a Jap supercar you could buy a M roadster as an alternative. Brand new, they are more expensive than a new Evo VIII.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Ricers at play
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2004, 10:34:24 AM »
Well, you gotta pay something for an astheticlly pleasing auto.  :D

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
Ricers at play
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2004, 10:38:02 AM »
lol :D The M roadsters were ugly beyond words! Okay, maybe not as ugly as BMWs recent 5-series, but not far off.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Ricers at play
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2004, 10:51:56 AM »
Aye - especially the M Coupe.  Something's just not right with that car - probably one of the ugliest cars ever made - but damn if that isnt half the reason I like them.

The other half?  They are a HELL of alot of fun to drive.