Author Topic: Car audio question  (Read 542 times)

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cmdrrose/index.html
Car audio question
« on: January 26, 2004, 06:16:32 PM »
I just put a Sony CDX-2250 headunit in, and I was wondering which 4X6 speakers would be best to go wit it. Here are the specs for it:

14 watts RMS/35 peak x 4 channels
CD frequency response 10-20,000 Hz
CD signal-to-noise ratio 90 dB
FM sensitivity 13 dBf

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
Car audio question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 06:36:45 PM »
Try Infinity, Eclipse, or Boston brand.  I've personally listened to 2 Infinit and Eclipse on a regular basis, and I've heard nothing but good reports about all 3.  Stay away from Kenwood, and Rockford if you want good quality.  I believe Bose is mid-level.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Car audio question
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 07:03:06 PM »
4x6... umm any plans for an amp, subs, full range, mids, and so on?

for a full range loudspeaker never skimp on price. the number of coils and material the cone is made of are #1. frequency response is #2. location in the car is #3.

if they are to be rear speakers make sure they have a sturdy cone for bass response. bass is omnidirectional so it doesnt matter where they are or where they point.

mid-bass and mid-range are semi-directional. you want the sound to reflect directly to you if possible. most cars have an angled rear window that does ok. thats why most power and sound comes from the rear speakers. (why ford put the large speakers in the front in the early 90's i'll NEVER figure out)

high range sound is extreemly directional. you want this pointed directly at you. if it isn't it just "dissapears" in the mix. and the misic sounds muddy. (you've prolly heard a crappy stereo play rock and you cant hear the cymbals, or classical and you cant hear the tin of the brass. {though most classical enthusiasts have nice systems})

one of the best self installed car systems i heard was of an installer's of custom systems (go figure lol). he said most just want lame bass that you can hear 3 blocks away. his was almost that loud but CRYSTAL clear.. FULL range. he had put a pair of 4" mids on the door panels low. thats 2 on each door but you couldnt even see them. you could "feel" them though. listening to jazz the snare hits would almost make you piss the "snap" was so strong. they were amped so much because of their placement.

remember i said mid sounds (like a snare drum) were semi-directional. well that can be overcome with power. lots of power. like 400 watts per side. otherwise you need them higher on the door (or at least not obstructed by the seat).

back to your question...

you are asking about a 4x6 which is usually a front speaker (round 4" another common front speaker)

rears are usually 6" or 6x9 or larger.

for a 4x6 if it has "line of sight" of the person listening i would recommend a straight "cone" speaker without a "tweeter" assembly above it kinda like this:
rockford fosgate
like the speaker in the middle.. just a plain cone. (i know its a 5.25" but thats the idea)

anyway enough dmn typing for now i hate typing. hope this helps
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Car audio question
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 07:07:13 PM »
rightfoot... whats your beef with rockford??

imho they make the best aftermarket loudspeakers and amplifiers on the market.

going back to the late 80's when they pioneered (no pun intended) the bridged amplifier, and the parametric crossover for car audio. only eclipse  makes better aftermarket car audio again imho.

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
Car audio question
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 09:53:36 PM »
question though...what kind of power handling capacity would these speakers need? Since its 35 watts X 4 channels would it need a peak handling capacity of 140 watts, or am I just reading this wrong?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Car audio question
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 09:54:47 PM »
cant agree with JB73 more...what type of vehicle is this going into...makes all the difference with a 4x6.  I personally like infinity or polk audio....and I cant say this louder GET AN EXTERNAL AMP.  I've yet to find an internal amplifier that was up to the task of properly powering speakers

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
Car audio question
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 09:57:48 PM »
Its for a '99 Grand Am, front speakers - the speakers are angled to aim directly at the driver/passenger.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Car audio question
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 10:09:04 PM »
if you ever want to know how misleading power ratings on amplifiers and head units can be, do this simple test.

Hook up a Rockford 20 x 4 amp and compair the power to a 20 x 4 head unit.

Hint: better have some good speakers for the first test.

In my exerience ( 80's to early 90's) 10 years in car audio, the best amps around were: Fosgate, Orion, Hifonics .

So many factors play a role in your car audio though. The best amp with the best speakers placed in the wrong spot will sound like hell. ON the the other hand, a $40.00 equalizer added to some stock radio/speakers can sound pretty damn good.

For the most part, 4x6 speakers alone will never give a great sound. The best speakers are round, though 6x9's can give a good sound.

4x6's usually are in the dash and not positioned all that well.

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Car audio question
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 10:31:40 PM »
just put in 4 brand new infinit's...

seem fien to me..powered by a 350 watt kenwoodamp..

got the base in the trunk on a 700 watt Xploder amp...

just got put in 2 days ago..

soo mucj frikn bettr,.....but still need soem fine tuning...

its a convertable so bass gets kind of buried back there

i find it hard to tell abig difference in quality speakers which i think many make...

but guy said it was 89$ a pair..i said..cool get me four of those..

stock steros suk

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Car audio question
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 10:36:43 PM »
This looks like a nice set for a reasonable price.  I'd sooner get a set of components - midwoofers / tweets and mount the mids in your doors and the tweets where your factory 4x6 speakers are mounted.  If you can afford an amp - and it really doesn't have to be anything special - get one.  Any idiot can install one (i can :)), and you WILL be glad you did every time you listen to some music.

If this is your first time installing and you're unsure, you might wanna try http://www.crutchfield.com.  Sales reps are generally pretty cool, and you can get help over the phone with your install.  Also, they'll generally send along instructions for installation specific to your vehicle for products you purchase from them (this wouldn't be the case for an amp).  I've found their prices to a bit higher than other places though.

-edit- In components, some of the best sound/price I've found were the low-mid end MB Quartz.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
Car audio question
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2004, 10:38:09 PM »
I just don't want to fry a 120 watt max power 4X9 because the headunit produced too much power for it to handle.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Car audio question
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2004, 10:39:56 PM »
Heh, I'm sure if you purchase ANY after market speakers short of a set of rampage speakers from Shucks auto supply, you won't be running a risk of overpowering them with the head unit.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Car audio question
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2004, 11:06:24 PM »
Originally posted by AdmRose
I just don't want to fry a 120 watt max power 4X9 because the headunit produced too much power for it to handle.
overpowering speakers a huge misconception.

80% of the time what blows speakerd is too low power pushing bass.

incorrect power matched to so-so speakers blowes em. how many times you seen a delco matched system blow speakers (playing non bass music)?

its not just about power handling either... its about power load.

carp speakers can handle 150 watts peak but only 30 RMS... whoops thats gonna be an overpowered speaker.

good speakers can handle minium 1/2 peak load ... or 2/3 load RMS (IE 100 peak 50 RMS or 66 RMS).

throw a rap tune into your 30 watt CD head with 200 watt RMS speakers and you can blow them.

too much to explain but i think you can get the idea.

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
Car audio question
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2004, 11:49:20 PM »
I have decided on these for my 4X9s...they look ok?

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Car audio question
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2004, 12:18:30 AM »
look good.. be sure to put the tweeter forward on each speaker.

these were for a door right?

oops item out of stock.... getting from somewhere else?

anyway .. the whole problem with aftermarket car audio is matching. it can get really expensive REAL quick.

you can spend 3 large ($3000) and still not sound as good as a cadliac bose factory designed system.

good luck and good listening! (unless it's cRAP or hip-hop ) LOL.

biggest thing is to make it sound how you want. listen @ a reputable aftermarket store (independant). get a guarentee (so if they sound like carp you can take them back). have them installed by a professional (NOT i repeat NOT a 19year old dude @ best buy... unless he has real edumacation in car audio creditentials such asMECP or similar.)

do it yourself is ok if you know electronics. + and - really make a huge difference in the phase of the sound. also a solid mounting, and concealment (if applicable).

again good luck.