Author Topic: Where to live?  (Read 541 times)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Where to live?
« on: January 30, 2004, 02:24:43 PM »
Well after 3 years I've given up my position at the flight school as a run of the mill Line Service 'guy'.  My position at the insurance company is going to be resigned as well soon.  I am packing my bags, heading to ATP to finish up my ratings (need to tack on commercial and instructor ratings to my certificates) and after that...will be starting out life.  I don't have any obligations to keep me tied down here in Columbus, OH.  I want to go somewhere warm.  Somewhere where you can fly and golf year round.  Right now I'm thinking about Arizona and Florida.  Now, Florida has its ups and downs and so does Arizona.  I was hoping to get opinions on folks who currently live, have lived in or have turned away living arrangements in these states and why they like it, why they didnt like it or why they didnt want to live there.  Being only 20 I've got a lot of life left and I've lived in the same town, done the same things and not enough has changed in the last 15 years to keep me interested.

So...where would a young flight instructor with 300 hours move to is the question I pose to the masses.  Now I will not be moving soley based on info gathered from the Aces High Forum, but it will be helpful for me to start my search for cities and locations in these states.  Thanks so much...
George

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Where to live?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 02:43:29 PM »
I'd say Arizona if not just for the flying weather, not to mention some of the best golf courses around.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Where to live?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 02:44:01 PM »
Ft. Lauderdale has good strip clubs, I hear.  The last time I was there I was in college and couldn't afford to get in, so I just hung outside and watched the drunk college girls put on a show for free.

The Daytona airport is close to the beach and right next to the race track.

Tampa/St.Pete/Clearwater have airports almost sitting right on top of each other.

Avon Park/Sebring area is chock-a-block with golf courses and the airport is part of the race track complex.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Where to live?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 02:45:41 PM »
Florida is way too hot and humid for me.

Offline BlckMgk

• Nickel Member
Where to live?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 03:16:32 PM »
I've lived down here in Miami for close to 21 years, but all I've got to say is that its becoming a bit over crowded down here... If you want to come to florida I'd suggest either the west cost... Naples, on up to tampa and a bit beyond.... or the east cost from West Palm Beach to maybe Daytona.... I'll tell you what I'm in real estate now, and if you find yourself a nice property in Naples you'll be good to sell her within 8 years for almost twice what you paid....

Map of Florida

good luck bud...

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Where to live?
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 03:17:13 PM »
arizona is nice because it is warm year round and great flying weather.  PLUS if you ever wanted to go see snow just drive north to flagstaff once a year in the winter.  Not bad sking up there

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Where to live?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 03:29:55 PM »
If you can pick anywhere..

1. Central Coast of CA. - Beautiful weather and still semi-uncrowded
2. New Mexico
3. Arizona
4. Northwest

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Where to live?
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 04:10:32 PM »
SE Pennsylvania.  Lots of rich yuppies just coming into retirement looking to take up an expensive hobby.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Where to live?
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 04:30:40 PM »
Las Vegas

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
What I'm looking for...
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 04:32:20 PM »
Okay Pennsylvania is out of the question...im sitting in Ohio today and there is this thing outside called Winter and don't like it anymore.  -5ºF tonight ambient temperature.

I don't care about strip clubs.  I've been to two in my life and don't much care for the idea of paying someone to twirl around a pole on a stage...clothed or not.

I'm looking for information on Arizona and Florida.  Where folks live and why they like it and what they'd do differently if they had the chance.  I'm honestly leaning toward AZ because of the year round good weather and the deman for flying and good golf to be had.  I've liked the idea of living in a western desert environment and having an adobe type house of some kind.  I can't afford that, but thats a dream.

Phoenix, Scottsdale and Prescott are cities I'd be interested in.  Florida isn't out of the question but I havent had a great experience there as a visitor though it hasn't been entirely bad.  No Thunderstorms in Arizona every afternoon.  

Thanks BlckMgk that is great info.  I'm going to be contacting some folks I know throughout Florida and asking questions, this is just an information gathering tool.  I don't know anyone in Arizona really, and was hoping for a little help from the folks out there with the road runners.

Golfer

Offline BEVO

• Copper Member
Where to live?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 04:43:33 PM »
If you're gonna do it, do it right! Move to Hawaii!

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Where to live?
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2004, 04:45:13 PM »
Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Paradise Valley and a few more are all suburbs, in the valley ( Phoenix)

Prescott, Flaggstaff, Payson etc.. are in the pines a little north  and you will have snow and weather there.

IMHO, you almost cant go wrong if you move to Az.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Where to live?
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2004, 04:57:55 PM »
Does it "have" to be the US?  Alot of newly qualified pilots get hooked up with small airlines in the Carribean to get hours in and have fun while doing it.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Where to live?
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2004, 05:06:23 PM »
Well, no Curval it doesn't.  But there is another weather phenomenon you have down there...

How'd your bouts with the hurricanes go this season?

They'll ruin your week...:(

But, I will hear what you have to say about the islands :)  SELL ME ON IT!!  pleeeeease! :)

my email

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Where to live?
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2004, 05:18:12 PM »
hehe...I actually don't live in the Carribean (check a map), but I travel there alot.

I'm trying to remember the name of the airline that I fly there alot...it will come to me, my brain isn't functioning well these days due to a new baby in the house.

I'll e-mail you, and I'll get our managing director to ask around about possible openings down there...he knows everyone in the Turks and Caicos Islands (which is where we have an office).  Cayman is another possibilty.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain