Author Topic: Car audio question  (Read 541 times)

Offline Pfunk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Car audio question
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2004, 01:05:28 AM »
JL audio makes great speakers, and precision power amps.  The combo of these two companies products domiated 1990's car audio competitions

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cmdrrose/index.html
Car audio question
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2004, 04:28:17 AM »
Yea the speakers are for the door and I'm gettin them someplace else, that page was just for the specs. Last idiot to own my car put Pyramid speakers in the door and these things are the closest you can get to pure garbage without the smell.

I'm pretty good at installing these things myself now that I've gotten used to the finer points of a soldering iron, even have a nice iron for auto use that doesn't require a cord.

The Pyramids in there now (4X9s) are shot so thats why I want to replace them, but the factory 6X9s in the back don't sound half bad save for the fact that voices are a little hard to make out on them when the base hits. Still eventually looking to put an amp in but I don't think I'll be putting subwoofers/woofers in the trunk. (Friend had a pair of 12" subs in the trunk...was great till he needed his spare tire and couldn't get it out cause of the huge things...had to wait by the road for two hours for AAA to come change his tire...I'm told the look on the technician's face was priceless when my friend explained why he couldn't get to his spare)

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cmdrrose/index.html
Car audio question
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2004, 01:11:31 PM »
Question - What do you all think of Audiobahn speakers? Crap or worth the money?

Offline Krugars

• Zinc Member
Car audio question
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2004, 01:19:38 PM »
Question - What do you all think of Audiobahn speakers? Crap or worth the money?

I had 2 audiobahn 12's and 3 Audiobahn 10's in my various systems and they worked nicely for me and sounded good. as for their components and smaller speakers, i never tried so i don't know.. also their amps are relatively good.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Car audio question
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2004, 02:41:30 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
Heh, I'm sure if you purchase ANY after market speakers short of a set of rampage speakers from Shucks auto supply, you won't be running a risk of overpowering them with the head unit.

JB distortion also has a big factor in destroying voice coils.  

but seriously JB is right.  Rarely will you ever "blow" a speaker from over powering it.  My experience most speakers were blown listening to distorted music provided by an under powered amp.  

There are too many crap amps that are overrated out on the market.  Back in the 90s when I was working sales and install It made it really hard to sell a $300 50W PPI amp when they saw the $150 500W La Sound/Jenson amp.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Car audio question
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2004, 08:53:06 AM »
Ok guys.... who makes a unit that has a big volume knob and a big tuning knob and large pushbuttons?

want CD too.   Don't care about a lot of bells and whistles that I won't ever use or even figure out before the unit is stolen or takes dump.

little tiny buttons and knobs and scroll thingies and lightshows are out.   seems that the manufacturers compete to see who has the least usefull features and who can make the operation the most complex with the biggest light show.

thanks

lazs

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Car audio question
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2004, 10:21:07 AM »
good luck ... i doubt you'll find something like that lazs.

with a new car stick with the factor CD and you'll be ok.

heck 6 disk in dash are available on lots of cars.

for you old muscle cars... why have a radio other than a possible AM only for effect?

listening to the lovely rumble of a small (or big) block V8 would be pleasure enough for me.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Car audio question
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2004, 05:49:59 PM »
jb.. thanks...  I do like the stereos that come in new cars a WHOLE LOT better than the aftermarket ones.   The new car ones are pretty simple to work and sound great.  

As for my car... well.... it is pretty loud but..  with the six speed it is turning over at about 2200 RPM at over 70mph   I noticed that I can hear pretty good and carry on a conversation soooo... figured on long trips I might like to listen to a CD or even one of them satalite stations.

Muscle cars do shake and bounce around a bit more tho so little tiny buttons and reading the 400 page instruction manual while driving is out.    

controls that have to be thought about or studied are bad controls.

lazs

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Car audio question
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2004, 06:40:49 PM »
you could always get one with a remote.. then just pop the CD in and use the remote.

they actually work ok. buddy had one. kept the remote on his keychain.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Munkii

• Nickel Member
Car audio question
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2004, 06:52:27 PM »
Originally posted by AdmRose

It may be a little late, but I had a full Audiobahn setup.. 3 1/2's with removable tweeters.. 5 1/4 with removeable tweeters and 5x7's in the back, and 2 Audiobahn AW1500 15"s in the back.  I had 2 lansar vibe 1200's powering my subs.. 700w RMS each at 2ohm and I had all 6 others on a 300x4 bridged out to 2 ohms.. I took 3rd place in a couple of IASCA comps and 1st place at 2 or 3 db drags a couple of years ago.  Audiobahn can't be beat for the price and sound in my opinion.  I had a friend running Massive Audio 15's and 2 massive amps and 6 Infinity Kappa Perfects all around, and mine totally beat his on Sound Quality.  My Bass wasn't quite as loud, but less distorted.  If he entered a dB drag, it would have been close.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Car audio question
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2004, 09:58:39 AM »
thanks.. tried one.. they are awful.

lazs