Author Topic: Simple question about guns for non-Americans and people living outside the US.  (Read 5971 times)

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
Simple question about guns for non-Americans and people living outside the US.
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2004, 03:55:11 PM »
No hunting here, so its a No from me.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2004, 04:14:20 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
rip... u were flinching.   If the firs shots grouped well and latter ones were scattered.   There are charts to tell you what you are doing after looking at your target.

lazs

Heh, I was probably flinchin' because of the damn .50 Cal Desert Eagle in the stall next to me! :mad:  ;)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2004, 04:38:44 PM »
No to unrestricted.

In NZ you must get licensed. Licensing involves: a theory exam on gun safety; background check by the police; two referees of good standing; suitable reason for owning (ie hunting); and finally proof and sometimes an inspection that you have a suitably safe storage place for any rifles and ammo. Automatic weapons are illegal, pistols are only ownable by collectors who have to jump through a few extra hoops.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2004, 07:16:20 PM »
Exactly the same law as we have on the other end of the globe, Iceland!
It works.  In the criminal world here there seem to be very little firearms around, and conceilable weapons are practically none existent.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2004, 07:28:39 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
Exactly the same law as we have on the other end of the globe, Iceland!
It works.  In the criminal world here there seem to be very little firearms around, and conceilable weapons are practically none existent.

Iceland! Enough said.  Put 5 million people in a city then tell me about the crime world having little access to weapons (See NY state and its tough gun laws) :rolleyes:

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2004, 07:56:59 AM »
Curval

Ok 22 square miles is small. You made your point.

I am lucky, I live in North Dakota where there is a LOT of public land available.

Some of it forested, some wetlands, some upland. As a result there is a LOT of hunting available.

As for the english blokes. Well if you guys let your king take all the good land, & all the cirtters & you've not had the gumption to take the land back, well thats your choice then eh mate?

Let me ask you this. Are all your descendants living in the big wide open Australian lands feeling the same about guns as you do?

I'm willing to bet not. There having a gun would be as vital as it was in this country.

So IMO the question should not be one of country, but of population density.

If its less than 5 people per square mile it should be unregulated. With tighter restrictions going up as the population gets shoved closer together.

Last but not least, a gun never killed anyone. People kill people, if they don't have guns they'll use cars, knives, shovels or whatever else is handy.

Offline bigUC

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2004, 08:18:53 AM »
NO (rway)
Kurt is winking at U!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2004, 08:22:09 AM »
That's righ ghosth, even though I'm 25 years old, I'm directly responsible for a millenia of history that left the land the way it is. ;) Besides what you are suggesting sounds like communism to me...

Like I said, it's pay to shoot or nothing over here. As for population density, you have 60 million people living in an area the size of one of your states. It's pretty crowded almost everywhere and the wide open spaces have tended to be reserved as national parks.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2004, 08:27:42 AM »
cyrano... so nobody here is saying that firearms should be restricted to those who can afford the fees and club memberships?

If the poor and elderly and single women are the ones who most need firearms then your (maybe not your but most of the people here) ideas are not only restrictive but backwards.

lazs

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2004, 08:37:52 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Should the U.S. ban guns like England? (Click)

I call BS on this one !

There is only some pretty choosen extract of the original document :)

contrepoint :

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2004, 08:48:34 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
I call BS on this one !

There is only some pretty choosen extract of the original document :)

Call BS all you want. Facts still stand. (Although outdated, this is relevent to 1996)

Source:
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/cjusew96.htm

US Dept of Justice.

I tend to believe the US Dept of Justice for a graph then someone named "Alain Poitevin" ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 08:52:19 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2004, 08:51:34 AM »
I downloaded the original document http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cjusew96a.pdf

but pheeeeeeewwwwwwwww there to much to translate for a lazy scumbg like me :D

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2004, 08:52:41 AM »
Hmm straffo... seems that guns are bringin our rates down while england removing guns has caused theirs to skyrocket.... Now... imagine if england had a third or fourth world country or two with porous borders surrounding them.

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Poll Results
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2004, 09:29:04 AM »
I've just done a count of the votes from the people I invited to participate - non-Americans living outside the US.

Looks like the vote against unrestricted availability of guns goes 15-2, those votes coming from about 8 different countries.

Say what you like about relative crime rates, and of guns "reducing crime". The fact is that of those sampled in countries outside the US, the vast majority do not want to see a US-style firearms proliferation in the country where they live.

So my next question is... Why do you think that is then? :confused: