Author Topic: The "Second Wind" comes to the CT on February 6th  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
The "Second Wind" comes to the CT on February 6th
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2004, 10:58:36 PM »
Originally posted by Löwe

Sorry Reschke, don't mean to pee on the parade. This was a great idea , it's just a lil too what if. If you had dropped the Jets, and given the Japanese the maybe the LA-5, and LA-7 to represent the KI-100, and KI-84, this would have been a  killer setup. I do appluad and appreciate what your doing though.  For your first setup, you did great.
 :aok

You'd be peeing on my timeline actually. And yes .. it's a far far stretch for suspension of disbelief but there just ain't much that can be done when the setup's premise relies on the limitations of the game's planeset. I had to work backwards from:

1: The game has no B-29s.
2: The game has no atomic bomb.
3: The game has no Allied jets.

and try to come up with some kind of rationalization that was at least in the ballpark. I agree that it's not a very good chance that the U.S./Allies wouldn't have made the progress they did in research and development but with the limits of the Ace's High virtual universe that's the only way to try to "explain" this alternate reality.

Hence:

1: Operation Felix succeeds and the Suez canal falls making the Med Hitler's personal pond thereby creating a more secure route between Germany/Italy and Japan.

2: Senator Truman axes the XB-29 project.

3: The Manhattan project suffers a major setback due to the Trinity disaster ... though the disaster itself proves the bomb feasible and the project HAS to carry on (though funding from several other research projects has to be redistributed to accomodate this).

4: The lack of foresight to make P-80 operations practical and feasible within the immediate timeframe.

5: No German jet technology or data surviving to make it into allied hands.

Yes ... you bet it's alot of far-fetched hoops to hafta deal with but I did my best. I, personally, am struggling some with the AR premise. If anyone can come up with a better storyline that can explain why we can't fly allied jets or B-29s or drop a nuke in this setup I'm all for it.

As far as modeling LA-either to represent any late war Japanese ride not represented in the AH planeset is concerned, I've been an advocate of that from way back. Unfortunately not everyone on the team is.

If you're just saying that it's not going to be fun because the premise is thin ... I sure hope players don't let that be an obstacle. Everything we play in any arena or event in Ace's High has an element of "what if" to it. If it didn't we'd just be paying HT $15 a month to be reenactors. Admittedly, this setup just has more "what-ifs" up front than most but I still think it's got potential to be not only different but fun and challenging..

I went ahead and jumped on the bandwagon with this and gave it my best shot to not only promote it but to make it just a little bit more believable. I figure if the CT Dev Group can make this one work then we can make most anything work.

I've already got plans to put the same amount of effort in supporting Squire's proposed setup.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2004, 11:21:25 PM »
One idea on why the nuke couldn't be dropped Arlo...I sort of headed down the road in my post to Lowe but didn't finish it out. The XB-29 was cancelled after the disaster during testing and the United States had no alternate plan for long range bombers on the table to possibly replace the XB-29 if something happened. So what happens now? Is it possible for a B-17/B-24 stripped of everything except a crew to make it over Japan, drop an atomic weapon then survive?

What other bomber had the lift capacity of 10,000 lbs and the ability to make a 3200 mile round trip? None that I know of and none that were even thought of as a design/prototype during the war.

To complete this AR thought you have to use designs that were actually on the boards during the war. Any other thing you dream up could have the Allies building a time machine or star trek transporter and beaming the bomb into Hiroshima or any other location.   :eek: :lol
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2004, 11:43:25 PM »
Originally posted by Reschke
Any other thing you dream up could have the Allies building a time machine or star trek transporter and beaming the bomb into Hiroshima or any other location.   :eek: :lol

Hey .. that was my idea for the mini-setup between the next CT switch. It would take all of one second or so to run.

Actually there's something hidden in my AR timeline I'd like to look into.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2004, 11:52:36 PM »
I agree with oldman on this one, however, if someone already has 250 perks....why have perks at all?

How many people have 250 perks?

If he is an average pilot who've obtained 250 perks over a long long amount of CT time, clearly he's not a large threat in a Me262(but yes, admittably annoyinh).

If he is a pilot who earns mucho perks every CT setup, the numbers of such pilots  would be less than 5% of the total CT population in a certain timeline.

Personally, if I had authority I'd double the perk values to 20 and 10. 10 perks does seem a bit too light. But as per the argument of Oldman, in conventional planes the USN totals the Imperial Japanese hands down.

Assuming 50 people in the CT, 25 each side; if Axis pilots are willing to risk perks aggressively and 30% of their pilots are in 262s, that means eight 262s will have to cover the rest 17 people in their fight against 25 most powerful USN aircrafts. Given the flighttime in rearward bases, I estimate about 60% of the time 25 USN pilots in Chogs and 4hogs, will be facing 18 in N1K2s.

It just comes down to what kind of opportunity the USN might find against IJ forces when there's not a 262 around, and how well they can grab it.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2004, 12:06:41 AM »
The only thing I would change is the Japanese need either the La5 or La7, otherwise its gonna be a rout.

Online artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2004, 01:23:02 AM »
Plus the fuel burn rate has been reduced to .5 to help the Me-163 has a little longer legs and possibly allow axis drivers get home with any kills they might bag.

Fuel Burn Ratio has no effect on Me163 fuel burning. I have tested it when designed Kadesh. Actually its duration time is about 6.5 minutes with any burn ratio. Think if at MA with 2.5 BR it would have only 2 min of flight ;)

You can not change this for 163
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Online artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2004, 01:27:18 AM »
All this shows - we need:
Gloster Meteor
Vampire
P-80 Shooting Star

and some more jets (F-86, Mystere IV, MiG-15) ;).

One jet make it is hard to build ballanced jet setups
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2004, 03:02:28 AM »
nah, it just shows....

we should stick to WW2!!!!

i predict a slow week in CT. full of running... on both sides.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2004, 03:33:24 AM »
i predict mass gangbangs because the US well have most of the numbers

i predict mass HO duels with F4U-1C VS NIK for the HO champ award

i predict most of the CT players not able to get kills in the  ME262s or ME163s

this setup is going to be owned by CHOG's and niks very simple
known as Arctic in the main

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2004, 03:40:21 AM »
o yea forget the land bases fighter for the blue side well be the tempest

man  just think about it 400+ tempest VS 350mph and the nik is much slower at lower alts

and those 4 british 20mms eeeee tempest and c-hogs be runing the show

lets not forget there jabo ablity
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2004, 03:58:38 AM »
Hmm...

If the La-5FN was skinned like a Frank.. I think it'd work.

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2004, 07:32:29 AM »
Thanks, but no thanks.
And it's hardly worth a banner.

We can't have an F4U1-C (even perked) in 1945 Okinawa but we can have jets in fantasy land. :rolleyes:
Can't sub a 110 for a ki45, can't have A6M2 vs a P40E in the Aleutians.
All this in the name of "balancing and fairness". What a joke.

Originally posted by Shane
nah, it just shows....
we should stick to WW2!!!!

Exactly.
"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2004, 07:44:28 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
You'd be peeing on my timeline actually. And yes .. it's a far far stretch for suspension of disbelief but there just ain't much that can be done when the setup's premise relies on the limitations of the game's planeset. I had to work backwards from:
 from way back.

If you're just saying that it's not going to be fun because the premise is thin ...  

Oh heck if I would have known it was your idea , I would have puked on it. Don't go getting defensive Arlo. How much grief have you given other peoples setups?  The primis isnt thin for Science Fiction:p

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2004, 08:02:17 AM »
All US and RAF aircraft are available from the single US base that is controlled to the west of Okinawa

Why do the japs have so many bases? I think thier bases should be reduced to the mainland of Okinawa. I think u guys need to look at what bases are being given to  the axis.

It wont take long for the allies to loose thier only base. And with the 262 and 163s capping the CVs, allies wont have much of a chance.

CV Hardness certainly needs to be much higher.

I think I will fly IJN next week
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 08:29:22 AM by LtMagee »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2004, 09:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by storch
thank god for IL2 FB

yep

this qualify for the required PTO scenerio?
Next week back to ETO right?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals