Author Topic: The Beetles.  (Read 1686 times)

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2004, 04:54:30 AM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
You guys know of a good book on the Beetles?

The Complete Beatles.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2004, 08:06:47 AM »
I never liked them much except when I was getting loaded.   They were basicly a womens group.

lazs

Offline 1K0N

• Nickel Member
Re: The Beetles.
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2004, 08:42:25 AM »
I think they are the most over-rated band in history.
They are not even close to the best that came out of the 60s.
Hell, the Stones, Credence Clearwater revival, and the doors are all better in my opinion.
I think the Beetles where the back street boys or Nsync of their day.
What do you guys think?

Your opinion is clearly flawed just based on record sales and number of #1 hits... Which none of the bands you mentioned come close to the Beetles in any top selling category.
 When they released SGT Peppers every member of the bands you mentioned was jealous of the innovative sound of the album.
 Even x-beetle members solo albums did better than some of the bands you mention being better.
 But believe what you want...

The Stones were the most over rated band of the era in my opinion, and John Fogarty couldn't muster much of a solo career after leaving creedeance especially none of the members of CCR,
 And the Doors members solo careers were a huge success right!?
Yoko had a better solo album career then most of them lol...

IKON

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2004, 08:48:08 AM »
Originally posted by Yeager
GTO,

You would be well served to educate yourself about the Beatles and their impact on modern music in particular and western culture in general.  They are perhaps the greatest contribution the United Kingdon has bestowed upon the world, and that is saying alot.

even better than AC/DC?

:)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2004, 10:16:20 AM »
How did they effect culture? I will take your work for the music inovation part.

I have bought my first tape-recorder in 1985 to listen to the Beatles.

First two Beatles LPs were published in USSR in 1986. "Hard day's night" without the last song (When I get home IIRC) and a compilation of early records with only a few Lennon-McCartney songs.

I had to stand in a line for 2 hours in a cold rain in March 1986 to buy one.

Thousands of people here learned English just to understand the Beatles.

About musical innovations - just listen to Revolver and Abbey Road, then try to understand that they were recorded in 1966 and 1969.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2004, 10:22:05 AM »
Well damn, there are a bunch of songs I want to hear, but I do not want to Kazza them, nore do I have the money right now to go buy the albums!

LOL. Still interesting. Lots of the guys I know, well the younger ones, say the 25 years and younger group agreed with me, the conversation I was having with them inspired the post. Then again what do a bunch of under 25 year olds know? :D

Interesting.

Boroda
 Man, I just do not know what to say about you not getting to hear the music tell the 80s..

Interesting that people learned english to listen to them.:D

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2004, 10:23:15 AM »
Your missing the point. Sure there might be some other great bands out there, but the beatles basicly started the rock movement. They changed the way people think. It was also the same with nirvana. Sure their have been better bands, but nirvana was the first of a genre.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2004, 10:54:28 AM »
The early pop stuff was pretty much fluff, IMO, but Revolver marked a change that led to some great music and innovation,

Charon

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2004, 11:12:21 AM »
I second the revolver statement.  The beatles transformed music from the elvis era to their era.  And then reinvented themselves and rock and roll at the end of the revolver CD.  Every band in the hip SF scene of the 60's emulated the beatles in one way or another.

While some of the music is cheesey repetitive and dull by todays standards even 70's standards much of it stands the test of time...

I take the beatles any day of the week over Lipsync I mean Nsync, Spears (whining yak), or Agulera (toothpick whatever)

DoctorYo

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2004, 11:32:02 AM »
I grew up during the time the beetles came into popularity. I do not own a single record of theirs. I did enjoy the early songs and a very few of the latter ones to come out. It is my opinion that the psychodelic song period they came up with is nothing but trash. The songs had no meaning and seemed to be just words strung together to a music score. At the end it, also in my opinion, seems they experimented to see just how far out they could go and still sell records. Just an experiment to see what the public would spend money on and meaning or merit had nothing to do with it. They seemed to feel that the public was so dumb that they would buy anything as long as it came from the beetles.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2004, 11:33:15 AM »
I was thinking last night how much I enjoyed the black female mo-town groups of the 60s.  Now they produced ALOT of great music.

I think its going to be a long time before we get another pinancle decade of music (~1965-1975).

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2004, 01:34:19 PM »
My dad and grandad (family cleaning business) used to clean the beatles' shop in London, one day my dad was cleaning the windows on the inside, knocked a bit of "modern art" (kinda sculpture thing) off the shelf and broke it.  So my dad and grandad smuggled it back to the van, and got the glue out.  Problem being that they had no idea how it was supposed to go back together (being modern art and all).  So they randomly stuck it together, put it back on the shelf and no one noticed the difference.

Few weeks later someone brought it.

:D
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline mrblack

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2004, 03:03:12 PM »
Well I am 30, so they are before my time as well. I do not own a single Beetles CD,

Well that explains it dont it.
they where before your time so you kinda had to been there to inderstand the impact they had on music back then.

As far as being the best?
Well thats open to ones own interpetation i think .
You know wha kind of music does one like and why?

I think songs like hey jude yesterday are classics just as I do
pink floyd dark side of the moon is one the best all time albums.
But then again that my intepetation .

So music like any other art form is really in the ear of the beholder.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 03:06:47 PM by mrblack »

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/computerpilot/
The Beetles.
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2004, 08:52:22 PM »
Being old enough to reply - my sister was into Elvis, which was cool, but being younger, I tolerated his wiggling existence in the music world(now I think he's cool).  My older brother was into The Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, and Motown, which I didn't mind, but not too earth shattering(I love Motown now too).  Then the Beatles hit the American shores, and at first my older sister hated them, my older brother said they were sissy's with their moptops, but I was totally into them because they were "happening", had a completely different sound which had rhythm and soul, plus they pissed off the very people I was always pissin' off, my older brother and sister.  The Beatles just kept getting better.  Long hair, wear what you want, and just kept pissin' my siblings off, with their greatness.  They made music that everyone might not of liked, but most listened, because it was fresh and innovating.  Yup, I'm glad I was able to experience the change.  Now it's 2004, and we've seen a lot of changes in music.  Most people know a Beatle tune when they hear it. :)

Thorns

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2004, 09:28:37 PM »
Keep in mind also that during most of the Beatles' albums were created with nothing more than 4-track recording technology.

Not only did they pioneer unique recording procedures but the did it with very limited technology.

And for all you people knowlegdable about the Beatles.  It's 'Beatles' not 'Beetles'.

And I also concur about the early songs...they were pop.  Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers were not only outstanding but also extremely innovative albums for their time.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High