Author Topic: The Beetles.  (Read 1687 times)

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The Beetles.
« on: February 05, 2004, 12:01:51 AM »
I think they are the most over-rated band in history.

They are not even close to the best that came out of the 60s.

Hell, the Stones, Credence Clearwater revival, and the doors are all better in my opinion.

I think the Beetles where the back street boys or Nsync of their day.

What do you guys think?

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
The Beetles.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 12:07:58 AM »
I still sing Beatles songs on the way to school. I wasn't born in their time, but I love the music.

Is it the best? Maybe not, but it's damn good. :)

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 12:11:43 AM »
Well I am 30, so they are before my time as well. I do not own a single Beetles CD, though I have several from the Stones, Hendrix, the Doors, CCR, etc.

I dig 60s music. Hell the music and the cars are just the only good things that came out of that era!

I like a few of their songs, but most seem like popy crap, just like the backstreet boys of today.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
The Beetles.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 12:13:24 AM »
I think the Beatles were and are the benchmark.

The Beatles started recording around 1962 and stopped in 1969. Name any other band during that time period that created as many great songs.

The Beatles are the benchmark for a  lot of reasons. They are my all time favorite band , Led Zep being second.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
The Beetles.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 12:21:56 AM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
I like a few of their songs, but most seem like popy crap, just like the backstreet boys of today.

The Beatles were nothing like the BS boys. The Beatles wrote, performed and sang all there own songs after 1962, early 1963.

The Beatles inovated so many areas of modern music it is almost unbelievable. They stopped touring in 1965......unheard of at the time and even more so today, yet became even more  popular. They were the first to sell out stadiums, invented backstage passes and broadcast the first world-wide satelite TV concert viewed my hundres of millions.

Nobody will ever compair to the Beatles. Even a lot of modern musicians that you would never suspect list the Beatles as primary influences.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
The Beetles.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 12:36:26 AM »
"The impact of the Beatles - not only on rock & roll but on Western culture - is simply incalculable. As musicians, they proved that rock & roll could embrace a limitless variety of harmonies, structures and sounds; virtually every rock experiment has some precedent on Beatle records."
"Although many of their sales and attendance records have since been surpassed, no group has so radically transformed the sound and meaning of rock & roll."

- Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock and Roll

Backstreet who?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 12:38:31 AM by NUKE »

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 12:44:30 AM »
LOL ok Nuke, hmm the backstreet boys thing was prolly a low blow.

I know they where popular, I just do not like most of their music hehe

How did they effect culture? I will take your work for the music inovation part.

I am also not saying they are not talented. Just overrated, but maybe should have posted saying, I don't like them much.

Still it should be interesting to see what people think.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 12:46:52 AM »
GTO,

You would be well served to educate yourself about the Beatles and their impact on modern music in particular and western culture in general.  They are perhaps the greatest contribution the United Kingdon has bestowed upon the world, and that is saying alot.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Capt. Pork

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 12:51:44 AM »
I think the original BS boys were the Monkees--whose sound is often mistaken for the beatles by non-fans. They were corporate fabrications and a lot popier(is that a word).

That being said, I was a big beatles fan when I was younger. I'm in my mid-twenties now and for some reason that I cannot explain, most beatles songs sound painfully cliched now. With all their genius, they manage to piss me off more often than not the more I hear them. Lennon was a brilliant songwriter, I can admit that, but his politcs, which often crept into his words, were annoying in the way they shamelessly pandered to his market demographic. McCartney, while charismatic, was an untiring cheeseball. Their drug references didn't touch those of bands in the later sixties and their hippiness was all but sanctimonious given the fact that they were all pushing 30 by the summer of love(Harrison, the youngest, was 26, I believe).

Those little factors aside, yes, they were good. Great, even. They were ground-breaking, they were stylish, despite their Britishness, and they were talented as hell. Any one of them would walk all over Justin Timberrape in the arena of musical talent and achievement, and they deserve to be remembered.

Just for the record, Oasis can suck a fart out of my ass.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 12:56:30 AM »
I kinda outgrew the Beatles several years ago, though I still like their music whenever it comes on the radio, which is rare nowadays.  Beatles were big when I was in HS during the 70s.  Even in college, I used to go to the library listening rooms and play Beatles albums.

But I tell ya, the music I liked most during HS was Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Doors, Steeley Dan, ZZ Top, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, CSN & Y, Bob Dylan.

...and many others that weren't the Beatles.  My favorite tune of the day was titled "Keep on truckin' Baby."  But it's not the well-known version...it was earlier (around 1973) and was a black beat, back in the days of good music.  Great driving music, tho can't recall who did it...didn't know at the time, and tried to find out.  If I was smart I'd have called the station, but I was 16, and didn't think of it at the time.  And I have searched for years on info of this tune.  Would bring back good memories for sure.

We could pick up Little Rock, Arkansas AM station (a "K" station...east of Mississippi River are "W" stations) on our weekend sojourns to the Red Barn in Mississippi.  Coming back to Mobile at 1 in the morning on the interstate in a 64 Rambler listening to "The Spiderman" was pure heaven.  That was back in 74.

Les

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Beetles.
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 01:02:32 AM »
I think the Beetles where the back street boys or Nsync of their day.

What do you guys think?

I think it's spelled Beatles to begin with. Not being old enough, you may not remember exactly what was passing for Rock and Roll before John, Paul, George and Ringo made their impression on American (and Worldwide) Music.

Here's the Billboard Top 10 for 1963: (1 year before the invasion)
1. Sugar Shack - Jimmy Gilmer & the Fireballs  
2. He's So fine - The Chiffons
3. Dominque - The Singing Nun
4. Hey Paula - Paul and Paula
5. My Boyfriend's Back - the Angels
6. Blue Velvet - Bobby Vinton
7. Sukiyaki - Kyu Sakamoto
8. I Will Follow Him - Little Peggy March  
9. Fingertips pt. 2 - Little Stevie Wonder  
10. Walk Like A Man - the 4 Seasons

Now look at the Billboard Top 10 for 1971:
1. American Pie - Don McLean
2. Joy To The World - Three Dog Night
3. Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones
4. Maggie May - Rod Stewart
5. Proud Mary - Ike and Tina Turner
6. You've Got A Friend - James Taylor
7. Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin
8. Let's Stay Together - Al Green
9. Colour My World - Chicago
10. Imagine - John Lennon

The change in music content and style may not be completely because of The Beatles, but they played a HUGE part in it. Sweet and wholesome "safe" music was gone. Pushing traditional boundries with Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt. Pepper opened the door for many, many artists to express their talent in ways that would have gotten them thrown in jail just a few years earlier. Yes, other bands played their part in music's evolution....but The Beatles were the catalyst. Oh, yeah....they also had the best songwriting duo in existence.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 01:12:15 AM by rpm »
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 01:05:08 AM »
You guys know of a good book on the Beetles?

****, I spelled it wrong? How funn is that I search on the intardnet to find a site about them and they spelled it wrong too.

Man how funny is that?

I feel like a goof!

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
The Beetles.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 01:05:14 AM »
LOL ok Nuke, hmm the backstreet boys thing was prolly a low blow.

I know they where popular, I just do not like most of their music hehe

How did they effect culture? I will take your work for the music inovation part.

I am also not saying they are not talented. Just overrated, but maybe should have posted saying, I don't like them much.

Still it should be interesting to see what people think.

NP GtoRA2, understood :)

Have you heard these Beatle songs? I think they some of the best.

While My Guitar Gentley Weeps, Dear Prudence, Day Tripper, A Day In The Life, Norweigan Wood, Come Together, Get Back, Helter Skelter, Rain, She Said She Said, Tomorrow Never Knows, A Little Help From My Friends, Hey Bulldog, Revolution, Hey Jude, Julia, I'm So Tired, I Feel Fine, Blackbird, Glass Onion, Help, Hey Jude, Let It Be...... I could list many more.... all produced in a 7 year period..many more too

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 01:07:16 AM »
Interesting post RPM, thanks. I need to find that Del Shannon ,runway song on MP3 I love it. lol.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The Beetles.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2004, 01:08:38 AM »
Some nuke...

I gota run bed time.. .lol I will continue this tommorow! Good stuff guys!