Author Topic: Vultching in CT  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Vultching in CT
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2004, 11:51:52 AM »
Originally posted by Sakai
The nice thing about not vultching in the CT, and very, very few people do it so I don't know where all this rationalization is coming from, is that it enhances aerial combat.

HeheHAHAHAHA. Sorry, Sak but that's just funny. Vulching in the CT has existed as long as I've been there ... more than likely longer. As long as there's base capture there will be vulching (maybe even without it). Every squadron (or just group of virtual pile-it friends flying together) that captures bases quickly and efficiently does it. Besides,  do you think the dogfight between the fighter you're upping and the goon inbound is going to be challenging? If you're complaining about it you must have gotten vulched a few times in a row and got frustrated. Most of us in the CT know the solution to your problem lies within. If you want pure air-to-air with gentlemen's rules .. the DA may be more to your liking (though don't be surprised when someone plays outside the rules and limitations you set there as well). :D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 12:05:03 PM by Arlo »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Vultching in CT
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2004, 12:04:42 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
HeheHAHAHAHA. Sorry, Sak but that's just funny. :D

Funny, perhaps, but generally true.  

FWIW, I'm with Sakai on this, as most of you already know.  If you simply want to run up your kills, seems to me the MA is the best place.  If you want to have good aerial fights, you won't find them if your opponents are all getting killed on the runways.

- oldman

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Vultching in CT
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2004, 12:31:02 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Funny, perhaps, but generally true.  

FWIW, I'm with Sakai on this, as most of you already know.  If you simply want to run up your kills, seems to me the MA is the best place.  If you want to have good aerial fights, you won't find them if your opponents are all getting killed on the runways.

- oldman

That all depends on what you're looking to achieve. It also soley depends on your own decision and action.

If you're wanting to help capture a field (be it just you and another or a whole gaggle of yas) then making sure nothing ups from that field's runway is a pretty smart and efficient move to make. It assists in your goal. If the the pilot being vulched keeps steadfastly trying to up unsuccessfully and doesn't like it and types in channel one (and even later posts in the forum) that he doesn't like it then that's really not your problem. He may rationalize, he may make an emotional appeal, he may take a stroll down memory lane (whether it's selective memory or not) - that doesn't change a thing.

If you're the one getting vulched at a field that has enemy cons all over it (even if that IS all they're doing and they have NO interest in capturing the field) then upping there repeatedly while chastising, pleading or attempting to appeal to their sense of honor on the radio (and possibly later in the forum) isn't really the wisest choice of actions, IMO. You, of course, have every right to do so but I wouldn't expect it to lead to an all around conversion of CT players to play by that self-imposed standard. I'm pretty sure it ain't gonna happen.

If you're looking for some air to air fights this is what I would do to achieve that. Don't try to up from a field that has several red dots over it (or a major darbar if the radar's been hit and you tried to up, not having looked out the tower window for a few seconds first and you got to look at the runway for maybe 4 seconds before you died). Up from a field that "looks clear" then fly to the dar that "looks even." It works 98.7% of the time.

I like yas from way back OM. Sakai too, for that matter. I just find the two of yas both unrealistic and not firmly based in "CT reality" when either of yas get in this "What happened to the good `ol CT where everyone fought with chivalry?" like.

Oh ... and yes ... I seldom take bingo or winchester calls seriously (unless, perhaps, the subject and I had just had one helluva sweaty dogfight ... and perhaps I'm low or empty myself). I don't give such calls either. I'd much rather keep my poor SA to myself, if that's the case. Or maybe I'll help a friendly more if the enemy con(s) still view(s) me as a threat. Guess it's all in how you percieve things.

If the CT was a boxing ring I'd be much more tempted to see the "Marquis of CTbury" rules or sumpin. Hell, OM ... do you, of all people, really think rules (in the virtual world even) just spontaneously form and are adhered to by the general public? Nope ... HTC is the law here and every action complained about short of tos violations are 99% of the time ... a waste of mine. :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 12:37:33 PM by Arlo »

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Vultching in CT
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2004, 10:46:07 AM »
:lol

Arlo,

Do you lay awake at night and worry about JG 3?  

:rofl

Crumpp

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Vultching in CT
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2004, 10:55:04 AM »

We all do.  No really....we do

I swear.

Seriously.

Absoultely

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Vultching in CT
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2004, 11:02:58 AM »
Originally posted by Crumpp
:lol

Arlo,

:rofl

Crumpp

Do you? :D :aok

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Vultching in CT
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2004, 07:31:26 AM »
If the CT was a boxing ring I'd be much more tempted to see the "Marquis of CTbury" rules or sumpin. Hell, OM ... do you, of all people, really think rules (in the virtual world even) just spontaneously form and are adhered to by the general public? Nope ... HTC is the law here and every action complained about short of tos violations are 99% of the time ... a waste of mine. :)

Reasonable minds can differ about most things, even including vulching.  I wanted to make my own position clear.

However, I resist your unspoken assumption that the CT is nothing more than a smaller MA with pretty maps and a limited plane set.  We are different here, always have been.  (Possibly it's because there isn't any "winning the war" in the CT, so that the only useful purpose of landgrabbing is to focus a squad operation or create a central location for a general fight.)  Even people who spend most of their time in the MA seem to know that - how often have you heard one of them complain, "hey, this is no different from the MA" when they get HO'd, ganged or vulched?

Communities develop their own social standards.  I like to think that ours discourage ganging, porking and vulching.  But perhaps they don't.

- oldman

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
Vultching in CT
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2004, 07:38:09 AM »
That all depends on what you're looking to achieve.  

Well duh, we know what we want, kind of the point you know, and it isn't mere vultching or rationalization of any base behavior or lowest common denominator.

The greatest whines in CT have always, that would be always, been:  don't let this become the MA.  Well, as Oldman notes, communities set their standards, I guess if yours are as base as the MA, then run with it moondoggie,  Mine are not.  I try to avoid HOs and gang banging and vultching in the CT.  And for goodness sake, you can have all that you want with any ride you want and tons of targets in the MA.  

It's like hunting, if the point were merely to kill something I would be far, far more satisfied by offing my neighbors damn dog.  But I don't do that, I go hunting.  

When I started in there, virtually everyone felt that way, but there does seem to be a corrollary to the inter squad hatred and the creeping in of more "MA-like", if you will, behavior.

Just askin'

People love the Okinawa map.  One reason it is great is you can't vultch fleets and these bases--too much triple A.  The other really stellar map is Kantorri's Fin wonder.  Guess what:  more triple A there, too.

I maintain my original point:  do it in Vals or Stukas and you have my support.  In SBDs, sure.  Bring us the Gladiator, please, so Arlo can vultch.  In Tiffies and 190s?  Any sissy can do that.  So, show me yer not a sissy.  All I'm saying.

Sakai;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 08:07:00 AM by Sakai »
"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline Squirrel

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mindspring.com/~p38
Vultching in CT
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2004, 11:58:43 AM »
Well said Sakai and Oldman! :)
Sqrl  

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Vultching in CT
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2004, 12:33:02 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
how often have you heard one of them complain, "hey, this is no different from the MA" when they get HO'd, ganged or vulched?

Flawed logic from the get-go. The CT was never meant to be a refuge from HOs, vulches, gangbangs, field captures or anything else that's an integral part of Aces High. The CT was an arena setup for two-sided (generally traditional axis vs allies) setups over historical terrains. Nothing more. If someone gets disgusted with the CT because "it's just like the MA" (given their only criteria for same/different is getting HOed or Vulched or whatever their particular personal pet peeve is) then they have unrealistic expectations from the start.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Vultching in CT
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2004, 12:35:24 PM »
Any sissy can do that.  So, show me yer not a sissy.  All I'm saying.

Well John Wayne ... guess what? I have. And I've also vulched. Get real. :aok

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Vultching in CT
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2004, 01:32:46 PM »
Flawed logic from the get-go. The CT was never meant to be a refuge from HOs, vulches, gangbangs, field captures or anything else that's an integral part of Aces High. The CT was an arena setup for two-sided (generally traditional axis vs allies) setups over historical terrains. Nothing more. If someone gets disgusted with the CT because "it's just like the MA" (given their only criteria for same/different is getting HOed or Vulched or whatever their particular personal pet peeve is) then they have unrealistic expectations from the start.

I fly at CT not because of setups only (even this is very important part) but because of the players.

Yes I do not like vulching - I can accept it only there is goon on the way to capture the base and you want it to do its job. Vulching is just not fun - it is much more interesting to let the enemy roll get some alt and then start you combat. Vulching you can do offline with ACKs.

And yes I do like when I can tell, plz let me land have no ammo or when someone asks me to do it.

And yes I do not like MA becuase of vulching, HOs (yes sometimes they are acceptable and I use them sometimes), Lancasters that divebomb CVs, suicide bombers and lot of other stuff.

I can see less things like that at CT.

About base capturing - finaly it is one of targets of game. If some folks like it - so let it be. I come to CT for good air to air combats.

And please don't destroy it.

All things like don't roll from capped base just make me to smile. So what do you looking for combat or just your score?

So IMO CT is much more then MA with historical setup.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
Vultching in CT
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2004, 01:37:41 PM »
Well John Wayne ... guess what? I have. And I've also vulched. Get real. :aok

Someone needs to do something besides think they are really smart on the AH boards . . . .

I suggest female attention, lots of it.  You know you can get it, you're cute as hell.

Sakai

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
Vultching in CT
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2004, 01:39:54 PM »
Originally posted by artik
I fly at CT not because of setups only (even this is very important part) but because of the players.

So IMO CT is much more then MA with historical setup.

Hear, hear.  AS noted, if my "side" asks for me ot shoot a guy down who has no chanceto protect them, I will do it, grudgingly.  But these guys who say they are too cute not to vultch, well, they certainly are cute

Sakai

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Vultching in CT
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2004, 02:01:56 PM »
But these guys who say they are too cute not to vultch, well, they certainly are cute

Sakai, I don't want to tell I'll let him a chance to survive. No problems with it. It is just not fun to be a turkey shooter that is all. It is just much more challangeing to shoot someone that do can protect themself. If you want to find targets for shooting you can find enough offline.

And yes I prefere to roll get some speed and start a combat with someone that has E advantage and try to shoot him down.

It is all about good combat and not turkey shooting.

So.... it is not about being cute :lol just to have a fun.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel