Author Topic: Carrier Landings  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Spitter

• Copper Member
Carrier Landings
« on: February 06, 2004, 05:36:54 PM »
Hi again all,
Is there a way to practice carrier landings offline?  I flew around in the F6F the other day, and was hoping to practice some carrier landings, but couldn't find a way to activate a carrier, or I just don't know where to look.

I actually managed to land very close to the edge of the runway a few times, but it's not the same thing.

Thanks,
Spitter.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 06:04:29 PM »
Spitter ~

You have the option of changing off-line terrains. Bring up the clipboard (ESC) > set-up > load terrains. Given the fact that you appear to be a new player, you may not have many terrains (maps) downloaded yet. You can get them all at http://www.hitechcreations.com

I just checked my "festerma" map, it does have cv groups though not all of them have carriers. Look around, you'll find a carrier.

DmdMax

Offline sonar732

• Copper Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 06:50:07 PM »
The default offline map has two carriers.  They are located in the far west side of the map.

Offline DYGCaps

• Copper Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 07:10:59 PM »
Spitter, I don't think carrier landing need "practice" really.  Just come in slow, at least half flaps, and this may sound weird but come in high...Until I learned to go higher I almost always augured, and I think this is a problem alot of people have.  Alot of people will come in just a tad higher than the deck, then pull up sharply to make sure they don't hit it, then try to force the plane on the deck and they end up crashing.  Come in high and slowly,  and it seems to be alot easier.  Hope this helps.

Offline Stoned Gecko

• Copper Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 08:19:10 PM »
From what I learned (the hard way might i add) is that landing on a carrier is a bit different that landing on a runway. I figured out to:

1. Come in a little faster than normal landing. You should be going a fast enough to be able to take off if you miss and slow enough so the cables actually stop you.
2. Come in at a higher approach angle. Trying to come in low will just slam the plane into the rear of the carrier.
3. Don't try to land softly. Once you're almost above the carrier, cut the power and let the plane fall onto the deck. Just make sure you fall onto the arresting cables ;)
4. Don't forget to extend the hook. Yes, I've landed on a carrier with hook retracted. If you happen to do it this way, decide whether you want to go full throttle and try to take off or slam the brakes and try to stop. I've done both ... ended up in the sea 50% of the time. I'm still learning :lol

Any comments/corrections on the above are always welcome. :)

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 10:43:13 PM »
Spitter i would first learn to land the F4U first and then move onto the F6F....Just for the simple fact that the F4U is easier to land.....Being an F6F dweeb myself i suggest the F4U as a starter but keep with that Hellcat....Nearly the best dang plane in the Game IMVHO

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 11:00:19 PM »
F4u easier to land?

Which f4u's are you flying?  No, i'm serious.

The best handling plane in all of the game though, is the Seafire.  Thing proves the magical bullet theory.  That's my recomendation.

Also, for me, if you come in too high and are dropping too fast, your gear will shatter.  I still come in really slow and low.  But then again you have to know how to control the plane you're flying.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Heretik

• Nickel Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 11:04:47 PM »
the B5N is an absoloute kitten for carrier landing. The silly thing will fly slower than you would believe.

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 11:32:04 AM »
Yes Laser IMVHO the F4U is easier to land than the F6F......I fly both very very Frequently......The F6F is my main MA ride along with the P-40E and F4U (1 C D) I find the F4U, though not very great at landing on a runway, Is exceptionally easy to land on a carrier.... That's MY Opinion.....this is my personal experiences but i could be proven wrong and i don't care if i am

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 11:50:57 AM »
Actually landing the F4U is very easy on land as well.

I touch down at about 100mph  and as soon as you are planted on the ground get your tail wheel down (three point landings are advisable) and tap the left wheel brake a couple of times alternating with both brakes. (IE  tap the  C key and spacebar alternately to control the drift).

The reason I recommend brakes to control drift on landing instead of rudder is because as you slow down, the rudder will begin to lose authority.

This procedure works every time.

As for the Hellcat, I can't remember the last time I flew one so am unable to comment on its carrier qualities. However, I agree with Wadke that the hog is very easy to land succesfully on a carrier. Taking off heavy however, is a different issue, and will take some practice.

Best piece of advice to get the Hog off hvy is:
full flaps, wep, as soon as you are off the end of the deck get your gear up and start a gentle turn to the right (will help alleviate some of the torque effects). Learn to ride the stall horn.

(all just my humble opinion based on experience with the F4U)

cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
Carrier Landings
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 10:14:48 AM »
Kill the engine to ease landing the F4U in any situation. It'll be a one shot deal thogh
Raise your head hi in the cockpit to give better view of the deck in Carrier landings.;)

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2004, 10:34:11 AM »
hmmmm...wel I don't recommend killing the engine.

RTR
The Damned

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
Carrier Landings
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2004, 02:20:18 PM »
a little slip on final helps you to see,I use the tower as a point of reference.
Just remember to let off the rudder before you touchdown

Offline Marco50

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Carrier Landings....
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2004, 03:01:25 PM »
Well if you are truly looking for a place to really practice landing on a carrier go to the TA = Training Arena. Setup the carrier in there for practice....but i do agree not really to much of a need to practice carrier landings :)

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Carrier Landings
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2004, 05:43:04 PM »
http://s90945482.onlinehome.us/roosite/Zipped%20terrains/O^saka20.zip

unzip this to your c:/program files/htc/aces high /terrains  folder
in offline  go to setup / load terrain

its a smaller map with 2 cv groups .

the best way to get good at cv landings is practice . landing on the land based fields isnt the same .
1 because it isnt moving at 50 mph or turning .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation