Author Topic: WW2OL is Fun  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
WW2OL is Fun
« on: February 09, 2004, 11:13:47 AM »
Wow that was difficult.

It's improved a lot. The air war is still flaky and there are still a fair few annoying bugs and exploits, but overall I was impressed with what I saw/heard.

- The sounds are now superb; I have a set-up that has 6.1 Surround Sound, and the directional sounds are brilliant. When driving your tank, the sound of engine comes from behind... err where the engine is. Nice. Doppler effect seems to be almost flawless now.

- effects are nice; explosions etc are very impressive, and when you end up in a firefight it really feels emmersive. For some reason I love the plume of black smoke emitted from the exhausts when a tank starts its engine. When a plane crashes you get an appropriate crash sound and some pretty fireball effects.

- the ground war is great fun; particularly as a grunt - tanking is great too. Being part of a large armour/infantry/air attack is unparalleled as a gaming experience.

- fewer show stopping bugs; still get screen stutter when flying, but since I avoid flying generally it's not an issue

Compared to the last time I played it, it has come on leaps and bounds.

Problems:

- the pandemic of armchair commanders is a real turn-off. Team work is fine, but I'd rather not be lectured about what I should be doing by some 12 year old in his mother's basement.

- blinking in and out of other units is a constant issue

- graphics are pretty substandard - colours are drab with no vibrancy (soon get used to it though)

- nightime is a waste of time, since it can be guaranteed that everyone adjusts their gamma to compensate

- tree-climbing sn1p3r d00d5 are a constant pain

- still no supply convoys, a video preview of which was shown way back before release in 2001

In June 2001, I'd have given it 2.5/10 and one of those points was attributed to the usefulness of the CD as a beer-mat.

Last time I played I would have given it 4/10. Bugged to hell and twice as ugly.

Now I'd give it 7/10 - it's where it should have been back in 2001.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 11:16:27 AM by Dowding »
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 11:18:15 AM »
Burn the witch!!

Offline MC_Honky

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 11:18:40 AM »
And what do you give AHI and AHII?

AHI - 5/10

AHII- 1/10

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 11:20:53 AM »
AHI - I've played it to death, my current score would be jaded in light of that fact. Put it this way, I don't hold an account anymore...

AHII - isn't finished, but looks very promising.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Makarov9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org/
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 12:19:32 PM »
I'm also enjoying the heck out of WWIIOL (blasphemer!).  The tanking is what's really enjoyable for me. Trying to get through that tough German front armor with my Frenchy tank is a real challenge. I love the combined arms approach that must be used to succeed in combat. Got to have the infantry to kill those damn sappers.

I agree about the sounds Dowding. Very immersive in 5.1.  Also playing in a squad increases the enjoyment 10-fold.

Offline MC_Honky

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 12:30:03 PM »
Does flying make a difference?  I mean- here the whole war thing is a bit forced-taking map rooms and all.  In WWII-online can you bomb and strafe troops and vehicles and make a difference in the game?

Offline Makarov9

• Silver Member
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 12:35:31 PM »
Oh yes. Damn Stuka's and 110's are always hounding us. Air cover is a must in this game. Air power can really turn a battle. I've flown a couple of times and find the flight engine, different from AH, but in a whole pretty good. I'm really enjoying the ground pounding part though.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 12:39:39 PM »
Is it possible to play it on 56k?

I bought it when it first came out, And it was unplayable for me, but I have since bought a new computer, which is leaps and bounds above my older system.

Problem still remains I am on a 56k modem. Broadband is still not available in my location.

I also saw it at Big Lots Players something package not to long ago, $4.99 heh.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Makarov9

• Silver Member
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 12:42:10 PM »
Daddog is playing on a 56K and using Teamspeak at the same time. He seems to do just fine.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 12:44:48 PM »
I did the free trial... the ground war was fun but not enough fun for me to pay for it...

In a year or so maybe i will shell out money for it...
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 12:44:54 PM »
What kind of system does he have?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Makarov9

• Silver Member
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 12:52:39 PM »
He has a 2600+ Athlon, 512MB ram, Ti-4200 vid.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 01:49:40 PM »
Well I got a P4 1.7, 512mb, Nvidia Geforce 2 Mx.

Offline acepilot2

• Silver Member
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004, 01:58:50 PM »
Been doing the free trial. I am having a blast. Flying sucks, simple as that, but infantry is alot of fun.  I would definately recommend it.  Knowing my historic facts about the early WWII (1939-1940) I instantly signed up for the superior axis forces.

Makarov, j0u r g0nn4 g3t pwn3d by t3h ub3r ax1s!! French r t3h suxx0rz!!!

;)

Offline Makarov9

• Silver Member
WW2OL is Fun
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004, 02:05:30 PM »
Nefarious, you should be fine with those stats. With 512MB you will get some disk caching when you first start but it should be fine after that.  I have 1GB ram and I get no HD caching except for 5 secs at start.

Acepilot2, my lil' Hotchkiss will spank your hiney with some 37mm lovin'.  Yea, French r t3h suxx0rz!!!  But I like playing the underdog.  :)