Author Topic: The term: Auger  (Read 1075 times)

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
The term: Auger
« on: February 11, 2004, 12:53:44 AM »
Why do so many people use the term "auger" to describe an accidental crash?!?  To auger means that you crashed intentionally.

TBolt

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 12:59:58 AM »
I thought it went it back to an Australian squad that flew AW about 15 years ago :)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 03:10:01 AM »
No, I remember reading the term in Yeager's book so it goes at least as far back as WWII.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 03:12:21 AM »
I thought auger meant to go in a downward spiral (like a plumbing auger).

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 03:18:31 AM »
Well if you really want to go into definitions the word is actually a noun for a tool used to  bore a hole in a material, be it earth, wood, etc.

From Mirriam Webster:    any of various tools or devices having a helical shaft or member that are used for boring holes (as in wood, earth, or ice) or moving loose material (as snow)
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 03:31:09 AM »
I think most of you old AW guys will agree that we used the term "auger" specifically to describe an intentional crash (usually so that one could re-plane faster...gaming the game, they were).

But, now that I think about it, why should I expect the AH community to do things the AW way?  Most AH people can't even muster enough decency to recognize a Memorial Flight much less honor one.  :rolleyes: :(

TBolt

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 08:58:39 AM »
" why should I expect the AH community to do things the AW way? Most AH people can't even muster enough decency to recognize a Memorial Flight much less honor one."

"the AW way"

lol.    man that is some pair of rose colored glasses you're sporting.  Take the spectacles off and look around. Most of the current AH community WAS from AW.   Ex-AW's are the majority here and it's a major reason for AH's nickname being AW-4.

And not to bust your bubble even more but in AW the same thing happened with players accidentaly interfering, or even on purpose, with memorial flights. Saw it many times.  

The main problem is that most players do not know what is happening as they do not read the boards at all and quite a few players don't see the channel 1 messages about it for good reason.

Maybe because channel 1 is mostly rapidly scrolling lines of verbal diahrea that resembles the old AW RR arena chatter (but three fold now as there are less moderators).  In fact I'd wager that quite a lot of players squelch channel 1 altogether as they've tired of the drivel.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 09:06:23 AM by Westy »

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 09:08:29 AM »
Originally posted by TBolt A-10
I think most of you old AW guys will agree that we used the term "auger" specifically to describe an intentional crash (usually so that one could re-plane faster...gaming the game, they were).

Sometimes, yes, but sometimes, no.  I think it is generic in the sense that it can be an intentional, unintentional or the result of combat.  The squad I belong to uses it in this generic way as do others that I have flown with.

Auger, in relation to flight sims, has been used in every one I have played online (Figher Ace, Warbirds and Aces High) and has been used most often in the generic sense I described above.
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 09:39:59 AM »
squelching chan 1 is part of my preflight.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 10:57:50 AM »
Actually Steve has it right...but it's the plane digging the hole. When a pilot "augers in" it indicates he planted himself nose 1st. Obviously ditching, burying awingtip, spanking the ground (a gabrowski:)) or spinning in are all descriptive of various other ways to inadvertantly end your hop....I've seen auger used all the way back to WW1.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 12:09:15 PM »
Originally posted by Westy
And not to bust your bubble even more

Heee heee...Westy thinks he's bursting my bubble.  :D  

Good replies.  I'm glad I posted the remark.

TBolt

Offline Joker312

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 03:26:36 PM »
Augering: the act of boring a hole in the ground.

Dates back to WWI. Can be either intentional (using an auger) or unintentional (using an aircraft or an unserviceable chute).
Joker
80th FS "Headhunters"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 04:55:53 PM »
The term that was created in AW was Fubauger. The term was created by Hoppy and Pho of the Fubars as part of a monthly contest for the best auger. Not sure, but the first place I heard Frog auger was in AW also.

As for the Memorial flight in the MA stuff...we avoided having Buzzard's memorial in the MA for precisely that reason.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline MotorOil

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 06:47:48 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
Well if you really want to go into definitions the word is actually a noun for a tool used to  bore a hole in a material, be it earth, wood, etc.

Be it intentional or not when I slam the ground I hope the heck I've at least left a hole!!!  Mark my territory!! lol

Anyone do any ice fishing?