Author Topic: Central Mediterranean Terrain Open Beta Test  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Central Mediterranean Terrain Open Beta Test
« on: August 21, 2000, 05:22:00 PM »
Ok guys, I think I finally got my Central Mediterranean Terrain to the point for public release.

If you would like to see the arena map I have made for it click on the pdf link below, its about 540k
 http://www.vermin.net/cmed.pdf

Obviously, I blatantly stole some of Glars map symbols, and will forward a copy of the map to him for inclusion in his set, if this terrain ever becomes "official".

If you would like to download the terrain to fly around in H2H, download the following file, and extract the files into your Aces High Terrain directory. (1.05 meg)
 http://www.vermin.net/cmed-092.zip

Tell me what you think and definitely let me know if you find any bugs.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 08-21-2000).]

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2000, 05:44:00 PM »
 Very nice indeed!  Only problem I have is it shows the beta terrain in the clipboard map.  Was nice seeing all those planes  

U

Offline Hamish

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2000, 06:05:00 PM »
Downloading now will let ya know how it goes  

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2000, 06:34:00 PM »
Looks pretty cool, and same with the Clipboard as ooody.

Q. Why does the ground aircraft drag my fps down to 10 or lower? They act like a large smoke cloud and suck my fps down to unplayable. Try strafing them and it's a slide show. Hmmm...

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2000, 06:57:00 PM »
Vermillion it is friggin beutiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

exactly what is missing from AH that I loved about wb... realistic terrain and water!

HTC needs to give you the shoreline code asap this map is a friggin gem already and with the shorelines code it will become a friggin insanely beutiful place.

btw ask HTC if they can give you three different colors for water/rivers of shallow, deep and the abyss  

oh yeah and rivers and little cool stuff like that when HTC finds the time to make such things possible  

looks awsome verm
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2000, 08:23:00 PM »
Water is just black squares on my FE. saw splash,s when i fired. Other than that its very hard to judge alt.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2000, 08:43:00 PM »
Very fast download   and a very big nice map
same problems as above. I think the planes on the field are decreasing the framerate it was about 7 with me, i also hope there will be shorelines soon available and stuff to make harbours etc.also i would like too see some roads and rivers in the future, to make visual flying somewhat easier where it should be. But i got great trust in HTC .

well i gues i need some pc upgrade soon

anyway thankx for the map

S!

uhm realman drive aircooledboxer engines  

(vw)BUG

Offline Hamish

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2000, 09:28:00 PM »
Looked Beautiful bro, i ran around a bit in it and tried a few things out, and i found something that i wonder if you did it on purpose or it might be something that slipped past ya.
          On airfield A8, it only has one entry point for bombers and fighters, at thier respective hangars.If this is what you inended, the bomber one worked great, and i could taxi right to the runway no prob. The fighter one on the otherhand was kinda wierd. it was right on coming out of the hangar the first time i upped from it. subsequent times i tried, i was oriented north (should have been east), and facing the hangar wall, making it impossible to taxi out of the hangar. That was the only thing i found so far that was out of the ordinary (or not, i dunno what exactly you intended with the field), and it might have been something buggy on my end, that could fix itself i dunno yet   I did experience the same serious frame rate degradation due to the "scenery aircraft" but i have a below-minimum-spec system that i play the game with so it shouldn't be too bad for most players. All in all tho, it was great to fly in, and i'm going to take it up again in H2H here in a bit  

Hamish!

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2000, 08:00:00 AM »
Got it! Will run through it and let you know of any thoughts Verm.

-Westy

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2000, 08:27:00 AM »
Hamish, can you check Airfield 8 (Tunis) again please?

In fact could everyone look at that field and check to see how many launch points they get?

I just checked the version in the editor, and it shows up correctly as a large airfield with 7 launch points each for fighters and bombers, with 3 launch points for vehicles.

The only difference is that your running the "Built" or compiled version of the terrain.

Keep searching, and you may find something else thats interesting  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2000, 01:24:00 AM »
Hi Vermillion.
Great Central Med map! The few bugs I have found so far are:

1.) Fighter Spawns facing the hanger wall (For me, I think this was Field 18)

2.) The Vehicle fields 47 & 48 changed appearance as I rotated around them. This would indicate you built on a grid line or The terrain you placed those fields on was not FLAT.

3.) There are some spots where the water covers half a hill (Runs up a slope).

I hope that helps you out Vermillion...Good Luck!

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2000, 03:23:00 AM »
GOOD! Very nice work Verm! I'll d/l and try it later.
With the incoming Ju88 we can build great North Africa and Malta Scenarios: SpitV, C.202, Bf109F ... we only need some Hurricanes, C.200, Re2001, SM79 ... oh well  

[This message has been edited by gatt (edited 08-23-2000).]
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2000, 01:46:00 PM »
 Verm, that is an excellent job  
 Is there anyway we can petition HTC to authorize this terrain for the Main?  

Only had 1 beef with it so far, On malta you have p51s parked on the grass instead of spits  
 Ping
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2000, 11:54:00 PM »
Nice work! Only have 1 question, as I'm not very bright   Do you have to make the clipboard map from the PDF File you posted?

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2000, 07:02:00 AM »
Just a few notes for you guys.

I have heavily revised the number of "scenery aircraft", so that most people are now getting normal fps. Extreme low end machines may still get poor fps, but its alot better than it was.

Ping, I thought of that, but its difficult to do, because depending on which year your simulating, the owners of the airfields change. For instance Tunis. In 1941 its should have Italian aircraft, In 1942 German, in 43-45 American & British. Plus that also means that every field would then be different and have to be seperately debugged. In the future when I have a few spare days to work on it, I may go back and work on it a little, but for now I just used "generic" aircraft.

Raubvogel, yes... and no   Your clipboard map in the game is literally a bitmap (bmp) of the arena or terrain, that has additional graphics overlayed onto it for fields markers and such.

The adobe pdf map I made came originally from the same bmp but was heavily modified.

So both maps have a common ancestor file way back when I started, but both have changed heavily over time.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure