Author Topic: Fly what you wanna fly  (Read 4012 times)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2001, 07:50:00 AM »
Actually, the cleaner airframe, different propeller, and modified exhaust stacks might be enough to make such a big improvement.

Look how the P-51 was 30 MPH faster than the Spit 9 with the same engine, and it weighed a couple tons more.

J_A_B

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2001, 09:09:00 AM »
Zygote:

No I don't have film but really why would I make that up? Would be pointless would it not.

Well the obvious answer to your question is that you don't have anything real to support your argument with, so you just lied.

Hooligan

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
I don't know what types of individual exhaust the La-7 used, and I am by no means an expert, but individual ejector exhaust would slightly augment thrust. It still would not equate to increased horsepower. The effect would be to make the engine more efficient in its use of output.

Offline Troll

• Zinc Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2001, 10:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pyemia:
So what your saying is that, even with increased airflow into the engine and increased exhaust flow out of the engine, it did'nt produce anymore hp then the original engine?  Now i'm not a mechanic but I find that hard to believe, and given the source its more than like incorrect.  You would wonder why they even bothered?

Zygote

Actually Zygote designing an engine for max hp output was quite easy given the near unlimited environment the engine needed to fit in, even in the 30s, so the max hp number given regardless of intake and exhaust changes would be no different(only time they would affect hp numbers is if there was a design flaw causing a less than optimum engine thruput). Now what the changes will do is either move where in the rpm range the engine puts out that much horsepower or to expand the range where the output is still at max (it can do many other things but much to subtle to worry about in a 1400+hp engine), and done well it can do both, making the change not show up as readily on paper but make a drastic difference in RL.

Troll
(intake and exhaust designs are my particular area of expertise)   :)

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2001, 10:36:00 AM »

The La7 fly's on Autopilot level with half its wing missing perfectly and lands nicely too.  

I call roadkill!

I've been in this situation many times and only 2 times have I been able to land and taxi to the runway for a succesfull landing. If you loose part of your wing in an La7 the handling is almost identical to a FWA-8 in the same situation. If you don't catch the roll right away you're dead.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2001, 03:48:00 PM »
The best way to defeat a plane that is superior to yours is to learn the strengths and weaknesses of that plane and then exploit it.  That takes away the advantage of the plane and puts the pressure on the opposing pilot.

I don't see the mystique of the Laffer or the Yak because they make up most of my kills in the P-38.  The only think I dread about facing a Laffer or a Yak is the pilot in those planes always seem to go for the head on shot.

Offline Pyemia

• Copper Member
      • http://No
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2001, 04:29:00 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Hooligan

Well the obvious answer to your question is that you don't have anything real to support your argument with, so you just lied.

Hooligan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No need to lie.  Fact is I killed 16 planes, 11 after losing my ail and rudder.

Originally posted by Kieran

I don't know what types of individual exhaust the La-7 used, and I am by no means an expert, but individual ejector exhaust would slightly augment thrust. It still would not equate to increased horsepower. The effect would be to make the engine more efficient in its use of output.

Theres a WW2 plane which produces more thrust augmentation then dragged caused by the large radial it uses.  Think N1K or some American plane perhaps P47.

Originally posted by MrLars

I call roadkill!

I've been in this situation many times and only 2 times have I been able to land and taxi to the runway for a succesfull landing. If you loose part of your wing in an La7 the handling is almost identical to a FWA-8 in the same situation. If you don't catch the roll right away you're dead.

Wrong.

Troll thanx for info.  Ack Ack the Typhoon has no useful advantages to exploit.  It does nothing better then Yak or La7.  There is the possibility of barrel rolling or scissoring by these are usually last ditch attempts and are easily countered by both the La7 and Yak imo.  P38 is better then Tiffie vertical and flat turning.  P38 slighty better then La7 flat turning, has no other significant advantages at normal AH combat alts against La7 or Yak.

Zygote

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2001, 08:54:00 AM »
Remember that both the P-38 and Typhoon also have a large firepower and ballistics advantage over both the YAK and LA7 (think headons).  In Typhoon especially I would use strict BnZ and headons if necessary to kill these planes.  The AH Typhoon isn't a dogfighter any more than the real one was.

I would happily engage either of these planes in a P-38.  I can almost hold my own against them in a P-51D, so a P-38 should be able to win in a fight.  At the very least it'll hold its own.  Granted both of them can simply run away, but the P-38 has good enough guns you may be able to get them if they try it.  Just make sure you're not taking too much gas in a P-38, it really turns into a slug.

J_A_B

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2001, 09:57:00 AM »
Just thought id add here that i shot an La7 last night as he climbed above me and stalled early.
I fired a full 2 second burst into him and peices flew off all over the place.What was pretty funny was i stopped firing because as i raced up to overtake him id hit him with more strikes than id ever seen and I honestly expected it to explode! so I stopped shooting grrrrrr, but by the time i realised that all the damn smoke and bits flying off were not going to kill it i was already well on my may to overshooting!

BUT as i passed very close zooming by him DEEP JOY!!! I heard the motor giving out! chug chug (sound of prop winding down).

well there you have it, the one and only time ive seen the engine conk out on an La7 in the last few tours.

btw at he glided down awkwardly trying to avoid the mountains along came a kill stealer and finished him off but luckily I got the kill anyhow.

I dont feel they are perk material though.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2001, 02:48:00 PM »

No need to lie.  Fact is I killed 16 planes, 11 after losing my ail and rudder.

Originally posted by Kieran

Troll thanx for info.  Ack Ack the Typhoon has no useful advantages to exploit.  It does nothing better then Yak or La7.  There is the possibility of barrel rolling or scissoring by these are usually last ditch attempts and are easily countered by both the La7 and Yak imo.  P38 is better then Tiffie vertical and flat turning.  P38 slighty better then La7 flat turning, has no other significant advantages at normal AH combat alts against La7 or Yak.

Zygote

You still don't get it.  Every plane has a weakness to exploit, you just have to know what your plane and the enemy's plane is capable of.

Even though the both the Laffer and the Yak are good climbers, they aren't very good in a vertical fight, both tend to shed E a little too fast.  Use that to your advantage.  Both planes become very sluggish at high speeds, use that to your advantage.  Both planes don't carry a lot of ammo, use that to your advantage.  This is all part of Situational Awarness.  As they say, SA is the key to a long, successful life.

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2001, 06:18:00 PM »
Pyemia,

I think I understand some of what you are getting at.  By what other people choose to fly in the MA, it can have an affect on what is realistic to fly for yourself.  I wouldn't expect to get a lot of enjoyment taking a Sopwith Camel up in the arena as it is now.  Luckily, most people aren't out just for a high score but many enjoy the variety of difficulty the varying planes provide.  Being a big fan of the early war in the Pacific, if we ever get those planes, it will not be quite as enjoyable to fly them if I'm running against the hords of LA7s, N1Ks, Spits and 51Ds as is normal now.  But you can't always get what you want.  Make some people happy over here and you got some upset over there.  Too bad the majority of the really, really good action is down low.  In the MA, it strikes me that the P38's place is above 10,000 feet with only short interludes below that to shoot at someone before climbing back up.  One day...hopefully one day, Aces High will start introducing the early-war planes.  Until then, I do have high hopes for the online simulation Target Rabaul to enhance or dominate my Aces High experience.  It's  mid-war Pacific and mission-based.  Give me some Wildcats over a submarine or some of this other non-flying stuff hinted at.

Offline Pyemia

• Copper Member
      • http://No
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2001, 06:49:00 PM »
Yes I agree Steven, perhaps what I initially was trying to say came off wrong.  I'm happy to have people flying the La7 and Yak, thats fine.

My point is that given the enormous advantages they have over the early war planes, I believe they should be perked and their ENY values lowered.  N1K, P51D, Dora etc as well.  

Its easy to say oh well, bad luck, everyone wants to fly easy mode planes, you'll just have to keep dying all the time.  Its easy because todays society is focused solely on instant self gratification.  

Ack Ack, it sounds like your not very familiar with the La7 and Yak, at least the ones we have in AH anyway.  The La7 and Yak hold E much better then the Tif and P38 in the vertical.  The secret to beating the La7 in P38 is in the horizontal imo.  However this only works if the La7 driver is inexeperienced.  In the vertical i'll kill P38 everytime in La7 and Yak, unless of course theres a real good stick in the plane or the P38 has a great initial E advantage and doesn't make a single mistake.

Zygote

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2001, 11:19:00 AM »
If any of this were true then the planes K/D stats would all be different.

fly some early planes and know that you are going in at a level of maybe twice as hard to get a good K/D... Fly mediocre planes and start with a plane capable of .75/1 K/D... Fly 51's and lags and start with a little advantage...  It's all that easy.   The rest is the pilot.

Area arena is the only fair way that allows total choice 24/7.
lazs

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2001, 11:38:00 AM »
And why not just open a separate arena with only early-war aircraft?  Use the old BETA terrain for it to make up for the smaller numbers that would likely be in there.

Truth is, the vast majority of flightsimmers don't want to be stuck flying 109E's or P-40's or Hurricanes.  While I sympathize with those who like the earlier planes, I do not think the minority should dictate the choices of the majority.

Besides, the earlier planes CAN be flown effectively.

The P-51D fares fairly well against the LA7 despite being pretty much outclassed.  The KI-61 (basically same performance as a P-40) can be flown effectively in the MA.  The F6F and Macci 205 (both 1943 designs) can be highly effective, too.  The 1942 Spitfire is the most popular plane in the MA!  And don't forget, the 1941 Spit 5 is also among the most popular choices.

J_A_B

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2001, 11:46:00 AM »
jab.. you miss my point.  In an "area" arena you would be able to fly any plane you liked any time you liked simply by taking off from the proper field.   You would not be able to take off and fight in a 51 from an early war field tho... You would actually have to fight planes that were of simular abilities.  If however, like you, you felt that a p40 was capable you could up in one at a late area.   it would be up to you.
lazs