Author Topic: When is a bug not a bug?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2004, 12:57:02 PM »
The answere is no.

HiTech

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2004, 01:17:49 PM »
Hey fidd, did you know that in the dictionary under 'redundant' it says 'see redundant'?

We the game developers have to work within the same restrictions.  What makes you think you can't?  Just accept that this is the way things are going to have to be.  It may not always be like that, but it's not going to change anytime soon.  Move on, please!
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2004, 02:09:47 PM »
Fidd, it is my very sincere and honest opinion that you are an idiot.  You bring nothing to these boards but an endless stream of incessant, antagonistic drivel that you liberally label as constructive criticism.  I personally don't like this, and would therefore would like to put in a request that you drop whatever else you are doing this afternoon and schedule an appointment with a proctologist to have your head surgically removed from your anus.  Perhaps then you will be able to recognize the difference between a bug and a design decision.

Please understand that I give you this constructive criticism only in the hope that it helps you become the best poster that you can possibly be.

Regards,
Gordo

Offline Fidd

• Copper Member
When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2004, 02:09:48 PM »
Thankyou Superfly for a civil response. I can certainly accept things are not going to change, provided a sufficiently compelling reason is advanced, and provided that reason is not advanced prior to the scale of the problem being ascertained. Otherwise it's just mere "cant" if you'll pardon the pun.

For the life of me I cannot see any logic whatsoever in Hitechs blanket refusal even to let the player/skinners audit the skins for ease of "reskinnablity", thus establishing the size of the percieved problem; before deciding whether or not it's practical to address.

I trust you are clear on the point I was not criticising the quality of the images, but rather the occasional re-use of some textures in critical areas. It is otherwise very fine work.

Regards Fidd

Originally posted by SUPERFLY
Hey fidd, did you know that in the dictionary under 'redundant' it says 'see redundant'?

We the game developers have to work within the same restrictions.  What makes you think you can't?  Just accept that this is the way things are going to have to be.  It may not always be like that, but it's not going to change anytime soon.  Move on, please!

Offline zippy0

• Zinc Member
Re: When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2004, 02:18:15 PM »
This is an age-old question and the answer is quite simple.

A bug is not a bug when it is a feature.

zippy

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2004, 02:50:01 PM »
I have known Fidd personally for nearly six years now, as a squaddie in AW and now in AH.  I can tell you, he takes a great pride in his work and has turned out some great skins in AW in the past.  In fact, he was the main creator of the Scenario Aircraft Converter in AW which totally transformed the game, taking it to new depths of gameplay and enhancing an otherwise fairly dull environment.  

He has earned a great deal of respect in this field over the last 5 years, and I know that if he criticises something, its not to be awkward, but because he is something of a perfectionist!  If he sees something which will detract from an otherwise perfect skin, he will voice his concerns rather than put up with second-best.  

Now I don't claim to even begin to understand the technicalities of skin-making, but I do know that Fidd only means well in asking about what he sees as a short-coming.  He only wants to be able to make the best skins for a great game!
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2004, 02:51:06 PM »
i agree flo.  and i admire him too.  however, perhaps a tad too much white bread got his dander up.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2004, 02:56:06 PM »
Thankyou Superfly for a civil response. I can certainly accept things are not going to change, provided a sufficiently compelling reason is advanced, and provided that reason is not advanced prior to the scale of the problem being ascertained. Otherwise it's just mere "cant" if you'll pardon the pun.

Why on earth would we have to ever justify anything we decide to you.

HiTech

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2004, 03:33:37 PM »
yuppers.  i think it's all grand 'cept when customers snipe at the business owner.

Offline F1Bomber

• Copper Member
      • http://www.bushtech.com.au
When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 04:11:05 PM »
fidd even i can tell your pushing your luck abit too far, quit well your behind mate.

F6Bomber.

Offline F1Bomber

• Copper Member
      • http://www.bushtech.com.au
When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2004, 04:12:05 PM »
hitech time to lock this one too?

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2004, 04:45:13 PM »
Someone has mistaken being good at something for being an absolute authority on it.

Flossy, it's not about how good or bad someone is at something.  It's about how much criticism the levy on other people doing the same thing.  And feeling that somehow, that criticism should be more valued than other people's.  This is not the time to be defending an old friend flossy.  He's simply taken a very bad aproach to things... an undefendable one.

MiniD

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2004, 04:48:56 PM »
I hate mondays.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
When is a bug not a bug?
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2004, 05:14:17 PM »