Author Topic: Scotland: Stop sale of knives, says McConnell  (Read 1075 times)

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Scotland: Stop sale of knives, says McConnell
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2004, 10:31:53 AM »
Are they going to ban tree branches there as well?  

Hell two women where killed in my town with a tree branch...

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2004, 10:34:45 AM »
So they've actually banned knives? It has been framed as a bill, passed through Parliament, the Lords and is now legislature? You mean this isn't an idea purported by some opportunistic politico attempting to look 'tough on crime'?

That's right! I forgot. You don't have politicians in the US, playing the popularity game while trying to justify their salaries. My 'bad'.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2004, 10:35:50 AM »
Here we were making an huge joke of such an absurd idea and the First Minister of Scotland actually proposes to start down that road

HAH finally PROOF that the scottish intelligence agency is monitering this board

betcha anything this is some english but kissing lowlander trick to aid the reinvasion...no braveheart this time

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2004, 11:07:56 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding
So they've actually banned knives?  

I don't believe anyone said that.

Laz's recent gun study thread, which of course is totally inaccurate to those who don't agree with it, pretty much shows how effective the various gun bans around the world have been. Just a wild guess, but I suspect the knife bans won't work either.

However, as I said, the fireams law experience over there makes this worth watching for the entertainment value alone.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2004, 11:38:42 AM »
when i go out i put on my lumberjack shirt and carry a axe, i tell the cops i just got off work.

if any of you hung out in "bad" places like i have you would know you don't need guns or knives, a box cutter works real good  (cheap, eazy to get,and it is a"tool") also that canopener with the triangle point on one end, in fact anything can be used as a weapon (base ball bats), the point is you cannot pass enough laws to disarm the criminal, all you can do is allow the citizen to defend themselves.

>>>>
cop:: sir , where are you going with the bat?

citizen:: ahh, just going to the park to hit a few balls , sir.

cop:: ok , have a nice day.
<<<<<
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 11:42:56 AM by john9001 »

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2004, 12:12:00 PM »
the point is you cannot pass enough laws to disarm the criminal, all you can do is allow the citizen to defend themselves.

and as ive said countless times...you can pass enough to disarm the criminal to the point that the average person can defend himself without having to buy a ak-47 (overstatement but it gets the point across...i do of course think that knife bans are beyond hilarious...)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2004, 12:23:04 PM »
john... your problem is the shortsightedness and selfishness of youth...  not everyone can weild a baseball bat or boxcutter effectively or... has any concievable plausable excuse to have one....

Also...  why do you feel that you have to lie in order to have the tools needed to defend yourself?  does that seem right to you?

lazs

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2004, 12:36:00 PM »
Also... why do you feel that you have to lie in order to have the tools needed to defend yourself? does that seem right to you?

why does he hang out in places where he needs those tools in the first place...or why does he feel that fight is more appropriate in a situation that flight? if he can get close enough to use a box cutter then chances are he could just have easily buggered off...

maybe we should get rid of this silly no weapons thing on airlines...if we arm everyone with a bowie knife  then any terrorist or angry drunk person who tries make a fuss can be dealt with without much fuss :rolleyes:

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2004, 01:14:23 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon
why does he hang out in places where he needs those tools in the first place...or why does he feel that fight is more appropriate in a situation that flight? if he can get close enough to use a box cutter then chances are he could just have easily buggered off...

Some people have no choice but to be in "those places".They may have no where else to live,or may work there.

As for,"he could just have easily buggered off",if that were true,then no one would ever be assaulted or robbed.Sometimes flight isn't an option.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2004, 02:29:42 PM »
sox explained it perfectly.... not everyone is an able bodied young white guy with baseball experiance during his high school track star years...who lives and works in white middle class neighborhood and never accidentally or because of circumstance... ever ventures into risky areas.

lazs

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2004, 03:28:49 PM »
"""Some people have no choice but to be in "those places".They may have no where else to live,or may work there. """'

then again , maybe i was one of the "bad boys" that hung out there and made it one of "those places" that nice people never go.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2004, 09:06:41 AM »
either way john...  it makes your opinion on what other people need to defend themselves even more worthless.

lazs

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2004, 10:36:55 AM »
what ever laz, i carry a 38 snub nose.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2004, 10:41:55 AM »
Quit picking on the Scots!

If it wasn't for them we wouldn't have.... uh....... we wouldn't have......... hmmmmm?

Hagis?

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2004, 10:58:21 AM »
golf?