Author Topic: Tip for AH Pilots!  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2004, 04:05:49 PM »
dump ammo and ram em , have to try that ..
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Marco50

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2004, 04:42:38 PM »
Do you maen an HO?:)

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2004, 06:55:07 PM »
Originally posted by TweetyBird
From Sour's flight ladder rules...

"1. Guns may not be fired until after the first merge.
2. The initial merge is considered complete once one plane passes aft of the 3/9 region of the other plane."

Obviously it was meant to have NO ammo dumping.

I have to disagree... I think you interpret from a narrow perspective...  I read rule #1 & #2 as HOing on the initial merge is illegal - plain and simple.

I have not read Sour's rules beyond the above stated two, but I am positive that Exile's had no ammo dumping rule implied.

Well, its not allowed in duels for the ladder. I think anyone caught doing it in ladder duels should be removed. Its not always easy to get a 3rd party to watch. I'm talking in general, I'm positive it wasn't an issue in any of the duels I had, and at this point, wouldn't much matter anyway. But if someone does that, it shows a lack of sportsmanship and I think they should be "outed."

You imply that they are cheating?
  • The whole premise of A2A combat is to make it as unfair for your opponent as possible, or more plainly - to win.  If a player opts to dump ammo, it is a risk he knowingly takes but he could possibly run out.  
  • I guess the next restriction is that other pilots can't burn their fuel in anything but the default pattern? Changes load distribution.
  • nor will anyone be able to dive on the merge as that provides someone an "unfair" advantage as well?  Seperation
  • Flying through the clouds or placing the sun at your back is also "unfair"?  Enviromentals
  • You can't use WEP prior to the merge either as it doubles fuel burn and therefore creates a weight inequality? Weight

A pilot that does these things is using his/her knowledge of the the intricacies of the environment in which we fly, that fuel, ammo (weight), load distribution, and seperation DO matter.  Why do you feel that somone's knowledge and experience in the game should be penalized and is in some way unsportsmanlike?

I say that both duelers should agree to a default load-out and a max merge alt, and a "guns cold" first merge.  Use what you know about the game to the best of your ability and do your best to win.  Then go fly and have fun, which is what this game is all about.:aok

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2004, 11:23:52 PM »
My only question is this, why is there a rule for no ammo dumping on the runway if its would be ok to dump it on the way to the merge? I can't see any sensable reason except that ammo dumping is not allowed.

Perhaps the rule should be removed, because it would be more trouble than its worth to enforce it. But I think its purpose is pretty clear at the moment. And I think to do it while the rule is in place is unsporting. Of course if you can think of a plausible reason that dumping ammo on the runway is not allowed and dumping it 200 feet off the runway is allowed, I'd be interested to hear it.

Offline Texx

• Zinc Member
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2004, 06:30:57 AM »
Originally posted by BigMax

I have not read Sour's rules beyond the above stated two, but I am positive that Exile's had no ammo dumping rule implied.

This is from Exile on another thread on this forum.

"The rules about plane selection are meant to insure each pilot starts with the same plane. What you do with it once your on the runway is up to you.

I think "ammo dumping" is a valid tactic. It has it's advantages as well as it's disadvantages."

Ammo dumping was allowd on the old ladder.

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2004, 11:13:34 AM »
Come on people, I can't be the only one reading the rules am I?

Quote from Sour's ladder rules:

"Each plane is to have identical configurations at wheels up therefore dumping of fuel and armament on the runway is not permitted. Dumping on the runway will result in the forfeit of the flight. "

Must I add the implied:  Dumping ammo after wheels up is allowed.  Or can you grasp that by yourselves.

Again you do it at your own risk.  There is no way to guarantee someone hase a full ammo load, so fight with as much as you know you will use, and don't complain if someone else is dumping and you are not.

I know for sure that it don't matter if I have 5 rounds or 500 rounds, im gonna get waxed by lots of the guys on the ladder.

Edit:
Sorry Tweetybird, it looks like you read the rules.  Dumping ammo while stopped on the runway costs you nothing in acceleration.  Dumping while airborne, costs you acceleration and speed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 11:18:54 AM by TracerX »

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2004, 05:39:36 PM »
My only question is this, why is there a rule for no ammo dumping on the runway if its would be ok to dump it on the way to the merge? I can't see any sensable reason except that ammo dumping is not allowed.

I didn't know there was one...

Any ammo dumping rule is completely unenforceable and leads to tons of dissention an accusations...  I hope my last post didn't offend you, I was just pointing out that an unenforceable rule only applies to those who "choose" to follow it.  Additionally, it provides a huge advantage to those who don't.  And a basis for the "he cheated" stuff.

My solution is to use less rules and leave it to the players judgement/preference.  There can't be a foul (no rule to violate), and everyone is at equal advantage/disadvantage depending on their knowledge and experience in the game.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2004, 02:33:42 PM »
Originally posted by BigMax
everyone is at equal advantage/disadvantage depending on their knowledge and experience in the game.

I would change that to read experience in the DA. Maybe why the few times in I never felt comfortable. The atmosphere seemed the couple of times I dropped in alittle heavy on the ego side. Sorta a club kinda thing.

Question I have being WT has givin a clue as to setups is what percentage of club members use enemy paddock view toggled on their joystick for keeping the con centered in the little circle of their moniter if they choose to go for a nearly full blackout lead turn ??

A year or so ago my opponent used it in a spitty V duel followed with a "yawn" after I was dispatched.

Boy that was fun.

I especially enjoyed the yawn.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2004, 03:23:03 PM »
Originally posted by nopoop
Question I have being WT has givin a clue as to setups is what percentage of club members use enemy paddock view toggled on their joystick for keeping the con centered in the little circle of their moniter if they choose to go for a nearly full blackout lead turn ??

A year or so ago my opponent used it in a spitty V duel followed with a "yawn" after I was dispatched.

Boy that was fun.

I especially enjoyed the yawn.

Hmm honestly i have never heard of someone using this..  I tend to rely on my own ability to track the enemy not some padlock view..  But thanks for bringing this to my attention nopoop,  good to learn something.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2004, 04:30:38 PM »
i don't use padlock.  much easier and more natural for me to follow with my own mental image of what's occurring along with the views.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2004, 04:48:05 PM »
Sour is a squadie. I will point him here to answer any questions some may have.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2004, 06:49:33 PM »
I am posting on this discussion in the Dueling Ladder forum.

Sour

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2004, 07:39:58 PM »
I've never used it either and I agree with Shane.  I set my view all the way in the windows so there is very little to use as a reference.

After you get used to the views, you might lose 3 out of a 100.  Doesn't mean I'm always am looking at them. I just learned to know where they are, or more exactly, are going..

Offline Marco50

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Tip for AH Pilots!
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2004, 02:30:07 PM »
Rgr Sour <> :)