Author Topic: You call that a HO?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline gijoe

• Zinc Member
You call that a HO?
« on: June 27, 2001, 01:41:00 PM »
It irks me when people start filling the text buffer on ch. 1, with complaints that they've been the victim of , yet, another HO. In my book a HO can ONLY happen when two A/C are headed towards each other with blazing gun/cannon muzzles pointed directly towards one another with no regard for one's own virtual safety. In this case the Attacking Pilot who lines himself up w/o that regard for personal safety has instigated a HO. Dweeb! Sure, it has happened in real life, as Torgo pointed out in another thread but, I think that it was the exception (could be wrong). In AH everyone knows it happens much more often because one can re-spawn if shot down. What a HO is not...A HO is NOT taking a front-quarter, front-hemisphere, ect. shot on your opponent. If ya' get shot down when somebody does this to you...tough luck! Don't bother whining about it on open channel when all the other person did was take the shot that you presented by not maneuvering out'a the way! Dweeb! I'd like to think that in real life a combat pilot wouldn't think twice about kicking over his rudder over, ect. to nail an oncoming bogey on the 1st pass when it presented no danger to himself. Nothing out of the ordinary there IMO. BTW, more than one person flies under this handle and this is the opinion of only one of those people. For those of you that don't know either one of us, my name is Craig. It's entirely possible that my logic is totally screwed so, I gladly invite anyone who wants to flame me to do it. I'd like to see some good discussion on this very old topic.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
You call that a HO?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
If someone is going to whine about a HO, they are going to whine about anything. Even if they win the HO, or if no one hits in the HO or even if they win the fight after a long knife fight.

They'll whine.

Whiners are whiners to the bone. They'll whine till they can't whine no mo', then they'll whine some mo' and keep on whining till you think they can't whine no mo', then they'll surprise you and whine some mo' and keep on whining until their fingers cramp on themselves and they are going to whine to themselves, or to their spouse, or to their sister, or to their brother, or to their cat, or to their dog, or to their fish, or to their turtle, or to their monitor, or to their keyboard, or.....

Hell they'll just keep on whining till the end they die... because they are whiners by nature.

WHINE BABY... WHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buncha girly whining dweebs.
-SW

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
You call that a HO?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
it takes two to tango.
if you don't want to HO me, get out of the way..otherwise "Say hello to my little friends"  :)

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
You call that a HO?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2001, 02:23:00 PM »
Yep, recently been the victim of HO whiners.  Was flying a G10 with pods, was low n slow from previous fight and WEP exhausted.  Oh yeah, one of my ailerons was missing too. Anyhow, p51 upped and flew towards me, nose around 20 30 degrees from mine, chucked in full left rudder d300-200 and fired a good burst.  Given that I had combined 70mm of love blasting from my cannons the runstang disintegrated very nicely.  Now anyone was that a HO???? Dont think so M8.

Chow  :D

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
You call that a HO?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2001, 02:24:00 PM »
i whine a lot but how much of you sometime WHINE ABOUT WHINE  i cant chalange   :p

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
You call that a HO?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2001, 03:47:00 PM »
"... chucked in full left rudder d300-200 and fired a good burst.  Given that I had combined 70mm of love blasting from my cannons the runstang disintegrated very nicely.  Now anyone was that a HO????

Text book perfect. Good work <S> airman.

Been know to dish out some 37mm gobs of death batter in my time.

Westy

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
You call that a HO?
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2001, 04:40:00 PM »
Hell I lose more HO's than I win... but the one's I win are worth more than the ones I lose.  :)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
You call that a HO?
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2001, 06:39:00 PM »
The only HO worth mentioning is the one that says, "There's no charge this time, Stud!And, Thank you!"  :D   :cool:

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
You call that a HO?
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2001, 10:18:00 AM »
For those that have a problem with the HO, my suggestion is to not fly a turn & burner and to NOT turn back around to me when I'm diving in on you.  Heck, I'd prefer to shoot you in the back than the face anyway.  I'm sorry, I'm usually in a Corsiar or Mustang and it's hard to follow you N1K/Spit-numnutts and line up on your tail at high speed.  So please, fly a straight course and level path so that I can shoot you where I'm *supposed* to shoot you and thus keep you happy.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
You call that a HO?
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2001, 10:34:00 AM »
Protocol dictates that if another plane points his nose at you, you must disengage. ;)

My favorite whine of all time was the spit that did a high G immelman as I was bouncing from high and behind... I killed him before he could get his guns around on me.  Oh the names I was called.

One of my personal favorites 'beliefs' is the "guns cold" expectation some pilots have on a merge.  Its ok to fly really close, but its not fair to shoot.  LOL! that one gets me too. :D

AKDejaVu

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
You call that a HO?
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2001, 11:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steven:
For those that have a problem with the HO, my suggestion is to not fly a turn & burner and to NOT turn back around to me when I'm diving in on you.  Heck, I'd prefer to shoot you in the back than the face anyway.  I'm sorry, I'm usually in a Corsiar or Mustang and it's hard to follow you N1K/Spit-numnutts and line up on your tail at high speed.  So please, fly a straight course and level path so that I can shoot you where I'm *supposed* to shoot you and thus keep you happy.

When are ya gonna put your callsign and squad in your signature???   ;)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
You call that a HO?
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2001, 05:27:00 PM »
Wish I knew how to change my login name in here.  As for signatures... I hear that takes some voodoo chanting & stuff.  I may work on that after I learn the P-38.

-Airman Puke

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
You call that a HO?
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2001, 09:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
One of my personal favorites 'beliefs' is the "guns cold" expectation some pilots have on a merge.  Its ok to fly really close, but its not fair to shoot.  LOL! that one gets me too.  :D

AKDejaVu

Is this one fairly new? Have noted it in a couple posts..I don't remember seeing it till a couple months ago, when I began seeing people bragging about how they didn't fire during HOs as if we're supposed to be impressed with their fair play.

I have to say, it rivals the "shooting down planes trying to ditch is wrong" whine in its abject stupidity.

I think a real WWII pilot would die laughing if he heard about either in this game.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
You call that a HO?
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2001, 10:02:00 PM »
Torgo,

No, it's far from new.

If you do a search you'll find threads from the first days of beta on the HO topic.

There were the "men of honor" who would never EVER shoot while going nose to nose.

They generally labeled anyone who took any shot from anywhere in the front hemisphere as "no talent, no acm, no honor dweebs" as well as any other disparaging label they could think of at the time.

The threads are probably still there. Try searching for HO or H/O or Headon and then pick the oldest threads that show up.

I guess they never figured out that proper use of the stick and rudder allows evasion 95% of all true HO's.

Also, lots of them never figured out that the HO they saw on their FE was a fat, juicy, perfectly safe front quarter shot on the other guys FE due to net lag or view differences.

Those old threads can be entertaining reading.  :)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
You call that a HO?
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2001, 10:19:00 PM »
I don't think I've ever died in a HO that I tried to avoid.  One quick barrel roll and a low yo-yo and you've usually got the advantage then.  I personally love it when someone goes for the HO, that lets me know that they are either low on fuel or ammo, or new.  :D